Why become a member? ×

Unpacking my pick

niceguyhomer

I took up bass 4 years ago and in that time, spent a lot of time (practice) and money (lessons) undoing my ex-guitarist plucking hand technique and chronic plectrum dependency. I felt a need to disassociate myself with my six string past and wanted to play bass 'properly' - ie; fingerstyle, mainly cos some people (including me at the time) frowned on using a plectrum. Now, after 300 gigs and a grand's worth of lessons, I'll say with all the conceit in the world that I've now got a pretty good fingerstyle technique, I play like a 'proper' bassist and wouldn't give the time to anyone holding a Les Paul.

Anyway, my band play classic soul albeit with a bit of a raw edge and frankly, we're all pig sick of it. So, we took the decision to bring the set forwards in time. Now it's Kings of Leon, Killers, Stereophonics, Kaiser Chiefs et al and you know what, I'm back using a bloody pick again :)

And......I'm lovin' it. It's good to have both techniques under yer belt, horses for courses and all - that's my opinion and I just thought I'd share that with ya.

I don't get the people who say real bass players don't use picks or no good bass player uses a pick. To me thats just narrow minded. It's just a different style, the same as slap is and finger playing. Some songs sound better with a pick and the style works better with some songs. Also, a lot of people can't play effectivly with a pick. There is a skill as much as playing finger style or slap.

Saying that, I have played with a pick for 20 years and for the last year, been learning to play with my fingers. Not because playing with a pick is wrong but to just re-learn to play bass again with a different style and a different approach. If you play one style for so long, you tend to fall into the same routine, pattern, approaches. Changing playing style has made me open up to new bass lines and patterns.

Despite being 99% fingers and thumb I often practxe with a pick on certain tracks and styles at home. A for fun and B it's another string to the bow as it were. I love dropping the bass low and picking through placebo, gnr etc
I've only ever used blue sharkfins though I drag the serrated edge up for a real grindy sound.

I use both, often during the same song. My quick switching is all down to me just dropping the pick or grabbing one off of wherever I left it. Just makes more sense to be able to do both techniques to me, because my teacher taught me with both, and I can use both easily.
Zach

this isnt my opinion, but i think many people, mainly non-bassists, will see bassists that use a pick as 'failed guitarists'

IMO i do prefer playin with fingers, but sometimes you just need that edgy tone that only a pic (or very long fingernails) can deliver :)

[quote name='Jarhead' post='372463' date='Jan 6 2009, 09:42 PM']I use both, often during the same song. My quick switching is all down to me just dropping the pick or grabbing one off of wherever I left it. Just makes more sense to be able to do both techniques to me, because my teacher taught me with both, and I can use both easily.
Zach[/quote]

+1 with thinking the "real bassists only use their fingers".

Re switching. On tunes where I use a plectrum (hey, lets use the "proper" English ;-), I pop it into my mouth. Dunno why, just find it easier, more handy and cheaper than lugging it away then having to pick one from the top of an amp or from the mic stand.

Does have it's downside. Remember almost swallowing one during a particularly energetic "Beethoven" ending to a set once. LOL

T

After a few takes in the studio last night, I slipped out a pick without mentioning it. The result was the best rythym section take. Although I was playing a funky two-chord thing (in the style of Burlesque by [i]Family[/i]) the pick just gave the sound a sharper tidyness to the stoccato.

My conclusion is that I think that playing totally on your own, requires a different right hand 'feel' than when being a component part of an overall mix.

[quote name='tonyf' post='372503' date='Jan 6 2009, 10:12 PM']+1 with thinking the "real bassists only use their fingers".[/quote]

NOOO...Real Bassists play an instrument thats capable of playing notes LOWER than thin stringers.

Glad you are happy Homer

Edited by ARGH

On the flip side, I've played the bass fingerstyle for 5 years, for some reason the right hand and its rhythm came naturally to me.
Trying to learn the acoustic guitar and this strumming thing is hard! Sometimes you have to move your hand even though you arn't going to play anything then play a upstroke.... silly strumming patterns!

Bass makes much more sense, if you want a sound, move a finger, you want lots of sounds and a rhythm make your 3 fingers do a wee dance.

[quote name='ARGH' post='372529' date='Jan 6 2009, 10:30 PM']NOOO...Real Bassists play an instrument thats capable of playing notes LOWER than thin stringers.

Glad you are happy Homer[/quote]

Aggggghhhhh! Cabernet induced TYPO!!!!!!

Sorry all! Meant to say....

"+1 with thinking the 'real bassists only use their fingers' IS TOTAL BOLLOX."

T

[quote name='tonyf' post='372503' date='Jan 6 2009, 10:12 PM']+1 with thinking the "real bassists only use their fingers".

Re switching. On tunes where I use a plectrum (hey, lets use the "proper" English ;-), I pop it into my mouth. Dunno why, just find it easier, more handy and cheaper than lugging it away then having to pick one from the top of an amp or from the mic stand.

Does have it's downside. Remember almost swallowing one during a particularly energetic "Beethoven" ending to a set once. LOL

T[/quote]

I wedge mine between the A or D string on the bridge where the string sits on the saddle.

[quote name='Linus27' post='372417' date='Jan 6 2009, 08:54 PM']I don't get the people who say real bass players don't use picks or no good bass player uses a pick. To me thats just narrow minded. It's just a different style, the same as slap is and finger playing. Some songs sound better with a pick and the style works better with some songs. Also, a lot of people can't play effectivly with a pick. There is a skill as much as playing finger style or slap.[/quote]
+1

I use both finger style and pick style when playing, depending on the song and surely the aim is to always do what's right for the song...

There's loads of snobbery about using a pick which is totally unwarranted IMO. For example, on the 'Isolated Bass Tracks' thread I was listening to the 'Beat It' bassline and that's all done with a pick, so if it's good enough for Michael Jackson & Quincy Jones (and either Louis Johnson or Steve Lukather who played the line), then it's good enough for me!

There is a lot of snobbery from bassists regarding pick usage...it's a much more valid technique than slap, tap or whatever the latest bedroom fad is.

I play with fingers and pick depending on the song - and no matter what anyone says, there are just some songs that NEED to be played with a pick, either for tone or because you can push the beat slightly.

If it's good enough for Sting, it's sure as hell good enough for me!!

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='372547' date='Jan 6 2009, 10:43 PM']Thanks Pedro - I'm moist about it myself TBH, especially KOL stuff. They're my fav band at the moment. :)[/quote]

Slighty OT but what KOL stuff are you doing?? We're doing a couple of KOL tracks and they sound much better when using a pick, On Call for example.

EDIT: When doing KOL, it is the law that you mimic Jareds odd facial movements...

Edited by Moody