Why become a member? ×

Kiwi's collection

Kiwi

Hey Tony, thanks :)

OK, this bass won't be a stranger to most of the members of this forum but its now mine. Now I've given it a fret dressing and a set up it plays really well. The sound is warm and full in the lows and mids with some nice compression to the highs - the nicest sounding Spector I've ever played. I'm going to try a set of bassline soapbars out in it to see if it will help the bass sound a little more dynamic and I have the U Retro to reinstall too.

nice one! well you got it in the end in a round about way :) .

you're right about the sound. definetely the warmest sounding Euro 5 I've owned/played. the green 5 I've still got and others I auditioned at sound control all sound to have a more extreme glassy top end and not so plummy in the lows. THis one is a little softer sounding for want of a better description,and very musical to my ears for it

[quote name='dub_junkie' post='487976' date='May 14 2009, 03:07 PM']nice one! well you got it in the end in a round about way :) .[/quote]
Heehee, yeah I did and I'm very glad I got there in the end because it pretty much has My Sound.

[quote name='dub_junkie' post='487976' date='May 14 2009, 03:07 PM']you're right about the sound. definetely the warmest sounding Euro 5 I've owned/played. the green 5 I've still got and others I auditioned at sound control all sound to have a more extreme glassy top end and not so plummy in the lows. THis one is a little softer sounding for want of a better description,and very musical to my ears for it[/quote]
I couldn't agree more! The mid range growl is phenomenal, there's loads of bass and the top is really sweet. It's everything my Smith basses weren't and it was a quarter of the cost!

I'm a very happy chappy!!

OK, update on the rig now. I've put in place the last two components into the MIDI rig now I've sold the Strategy 400. Its separated into two modules. The upper one is the MIDI kit (mixer, AX100 and JV1080) and the bottom is essentially the amp module that I can use on its own if I need to which was waiting for the eq and amp components.

In the lower rack, the white unit is a TL Audio 5013 2 channel, 4 band, valve parametric equaliser. This was to give me the versatility that so many bass amps I've had have failed to supply me with. Its also intended to soften the highs a little as well and it does the trick of isolating the frequencies very nicely for £110.

The bottom unit is a Technical Pro DA-B3000 class D power amp. One rack space high, 700w a side and $219 plus $60 shipping. I really really like the sound of this power amp. Its very modern sounding, not at all scoopy or coloured and it preserves the mid range growl of the Spector spectacularly well. So what I've ended up with this unit is all the natural warmth and mid range of the Spector plus the potential to tweak the sound for awkward acoustics. I wish so much I had this this rig when I was gigging regularly! I can hear/feel my playing perfectly because the midrange is so well preserved.

So this evening with the Spector and the new rack with loads of warmth and midrange with a nice bit of sparkle dialed in on the para eq. I was almost in aural nirvana (although I think the u-retro might give more clarity). Pretty much everything I've been searching for over the last 10 years was there.

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='490961' date='May 17 2009, 10:46 PM']Is that power amp one of the ones off Ebay from the US? Does it run on 240V or is there some adaptation required?[/quote]
Yes, its one of these:

[url="http://www.teptronics.com/dab3000.html"]http://www.teptronics.com/dab3000.html[/url]

But I bought it from www.audiosavings.com through their ebay store.

• 5 months later...

Update time:

[attachment=36295:DSC02843.JPG]

Modded Spector (serial NB1926) from above and a recent bargain off Ebay, NS5CR from the SSD days but after he reclaimed the Spector brand. So its got the slightly thicker neck profile and dot inlays, serial 1382 I think.

The natural tint one has a slightly lower resonant peak so sounds warmer and growlier but less bite.
The sunburst one is brighter sounding but the resonant peak is higher so less warm but the mids have a nice purr to them and the neck has super low action. I can really fly around on this bass.

Both are now loaded with customised Wizard soapbars to my spec (overwound coils, ceramic magnets, coil splits) to give as much warmth as is possible with magnets and wire. In single coil mode, they can sound like an Alembic in the upper positions and like a Tobias in the lower positions. In parallel mode, it sounds like a Smith but with less scoop. On the bridge pickup alone in single coil mode it does a pretty good impression of a Jaydee! With the neck pickup in single coil mode it does a passable p-bass impersonation but the ceramic magnets mean its a little clackier than most P's I've played. Still, by notching back the mids and raising the frequency cut to the clacky frequencies, its possible to tame them. :)

Both will eventually be loaded with three band customised parametric eqs by Klaus Noll.

EDIT: Doesn't do Stingray or Jazz at all. But it can sit nicely in the mix of most Chic songs nevertheless.

OK, I've just finished playing the bass after making adjustments to the wiring options from the toggle switches. The coil/parallel/coil mode didn't result in as much distinction as I would have liked but the differences in sounds are still noticable. The inside coils don't make as much of a stingray-ish sound as I suspected. If anything it reminds me of an Aria SB1000 - the single pickup version. I did wonder whether it might be worth putting LED's in so I can still which coils are which. Also thought about whether it might be worth putting in a rotary selector instead of the toggle switches as well...

• 5 months later...

I managed to get my recording studio working over Easter, I recorded a few samples of the Spector just so people could see what I'm going on about with these coil splitting mods.

Each pickup has three settings; inside coil/both coils in parallel/outside coil, so this recording gets a bit complicated when I explain it...but here goes anyway.

[b]1. Both pickups and all coil options[/b]

Bridge pickup inside coil (left) selected AND each of the three options on the neck pickup (left/both/right)
Both bridge coils selected AND each of the three options on the neck pickup (left/both/right)
Bridge pickup outside (right) coil selected AND each of the three options on the neck pickup (left/both/right)

The 3 band Noll parametric pre was set to flat.

[attachment=48211:Spector_..._pickups.mp3]

[b]2. Bridge pickup alone[/b]

[attachment=48219:Spector_...e_pickup.mp3]

Inside/both/outside coil (or left/both/right if you prefer)

[b]3. Neck pickup alone[/b]

[attachment=48215:Spector_...k_pickup.mp3]
Outside/both/inside coil (or left/both/right if you prefer)

[b]4. Plus a few recognisable bass lines for fun[/b]

[attachment=48214:Spector_...e_pickup.mp3]
"Jaydee mode" - This is with the outside (right hand) coil in the bridge pickup by itself. Sounds a little Jaydee like to me although with the parametric eq, I can dial out some of the harshness and dial in more warmth.

[attachment=48213:Spector_...er_coils.mp3]
"Stingray mode" - This is with the inside coils of each pickup selected. It's not identical to a stingray because the eq is flat. But it sits in the mix in the same way and, again, I can use the parametric to tweak things.

[attachment=48212:Spector_...er_coils.mp3]
"Tobias mode" - This one is with the outside coils selected.

[b]5. Recorded track - both pickups, both coils in parallel[/b] ("Smith" mode)
[attachment=48216:Raw_test_mix.mp3]
And this was a test track I recorded last week with my sound dialed in on the parametric eq. No apologies for how cheesy the track sounds, thats just how it came out! :)

[u]Warning:[/u] gratuitous whammy bar action on the guitar solo. :rolleyes:

Hey Steve!!

Long time no speak!! I've not been around these parts for quite some time, but the prodigal son has returned!! Lol!!

I have to say your collection of basses has always impressed me!! I love that Spalted Spector (try saying that with a lisp!!)!! But as you well know its those Pedullas that I've always loved!! I really wish I'd had the cash for them when you were selling!! I always regret selling mine!! Beautiful instruments!!

So I don't know if I'm miss reading this thread, but I'm finding it hard to follow what you still have and what you've sold?? Could you give a quick refresher list??

Cheers!
G!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

[quote name='gadget' post='820222' date='Apr 27 2010, 08:01 AM']Hey Steve!!

Long time no speak!! I've not been around these parts for quite some time, but the prodigal son has returned!! Lol!!

I have to say your collection of basses has always impressed me!! I love that Spalted Spector (try saying that with a lisp!!)!! But as you well know its those Pedullas that I've always loved!! I really wish I'd had the cash for them when you were selling!! I always regret selling mine!! Beautiful instruments!!

So I don't know if I'm miss reading this thread, but I'm finding it hard to follow what you still have and what you've sold?? Could you give a quick refresher list??

Cheers!
G![/quote]
Blimey! How did I miss this? Sorry Gadget. Long time no hear!

Quick list is in my sig. :) Hope you're doing well. The only gear change I have to report at the moment is I bought Merton's Peavey DPC750 and replaced the other power amp. Not really worth showing a pic of the amp by itself I guess.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

[quote name='funkypenguin' post='1101377' date='Jan 24 2011, 09:03 PM']Am i right in thinking you've changed out the pickups and preamp in your shuker 6? any particular reason?[/quote]
I've changed the pickups, because the stainless steel frets and maple board are extremely bright to the point of sounding brittle. I hoped that a set of wizards that were the same as fitted to my spectors would tone the sizzle down compared to the Delanos that were fitted originally but unfortunately this hasn't worked. I didn't anticipate how clean the ceramic magnets were in the custom pickups fitted to the spector. The Noll 3 band parametric eq does a pretty good job in taming the super highs but the degree of intervention still bugs me. I may end up just getting the fingerboard replaced with something darker sounding like rosewood or bubinga and use brass based frets rather than stainless as used on Warwicks.

[quote name='ziggydolphinboy' post='1012009' date='Nov 4 2010, 01:23 PM']dude you have some serious gear!!!!!!!![/quote]
Toys at the moment, still looking for another band.

[quote name='ziggydolphinboy' post='1012009' date='Nov 4 2010, 01:23 PM']love it all[/quote]
Cheers :)

[quote name='ziggydolphinboy' post='1012009' date='Nov 4 2010, 01:23 PM']i recently got a euro 4 and now ihave a usa 5 !!!!!!
spector body shape fits my belly sooooo welll!!!!
and the sound is awesome,
does the u retro make that much difference?[/quote]
The bass control has more of an effect than the stock Spector and the variable mid control helps target the growly mid-frequencies for boost. It's a sweet sounding pre too, not too hi-fi but still sounds clean. It'll be fitted to the Pentabuzz soon because I could use the extra control. I don't like the EMG pickups though in the spectors, they're very aggressive sounding to my ears.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='1101402' date='Jan 24 2011, 09:19 PM']I've changed the pickups, because the stainless steel frets and maple board are extremely bright to the point of sounding brittle. I hoped that a set of wizards that were the same as fitted to my spectors would tone the sizzle down compared to the Delanos that were fitted originally but unfortunately this hasn't worked. I didn't anticipate how clean the ceramic magnets were in the custom pickups fitted to the spector. The Noll 3 band parametric eq does a pretty good job in taming the super highs but the degree of intervention still bugs me. I may end up just getting the fingerboard replaced with something darker sounding like rosewood or bubinga and use brass based frets rather than stainless as used on Warwicks.[/quote]

ah right :S still not happy with the sound. would a refret and passive pickups perhaps help OOI?

[quote name='funkypenguin' post='1103062' date='Jan 26 2011, 01:00 AM']ah right :S still not happy with the sound. would a refret and passive pickups perhaps help OOI?[/quote]
Attack and fretnoise tends to be most heavily influenced by the fingerboard in my experience. I don't think the refret would solve much. The pickups are already passive, unless you mean dispense with a preamp which I'd be reluctant to do. If I was going to design the bass again, I'd put as much mahogany in as I could before the neck lost stiffness. That way the bass would sound warmer and growlier.

Update: I had a discussion with Klaus over some improvements to his parametric preamp and he's made me a couple of custom jobbies with passive bypass. I'll do a full review once I've fitted them. But in brief the changes were:

passive bypass
gain trimpot so I can match output to other basses
adjusted freqency bands so the 250hz sweet spot is accessible by the mid sweep control

The four MEC concentric pots are deeper than most pots but the active/passive bypass push pull concentric vol/pan pot requires a particularly deep control cavity. OK for both Spectors but not so OK for the Shuker so I'll fit the original preamp instead which is currently in the natural spector. I'll have to get a control plate arrangement or deep insert socket for the backup Spector too.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='1110637' date='Feb 1 2011, 09:05 AM']Attack and fretnoise tends to be most heavily influenced by the fingerboard in my experience. I don't think the refret would solve much. The pickups are already passive, unless you mean dispense with a preamp which I'd be reluctant to do. If I was going to design the bass again, I'd put as much mahogany in as I could before the neck lost stiffness. That way the bass would sound warmer and growlier.

Update: I had a discussion with Klaus over some improvements to his parametric preamp and he's made me a couple of custom jobbies with passive bypass. I'll do a full review once I've fitted them. But in brief the changes were:

passive bypass
gain trimpot so I can match output to other basses
adjusted freqency bands so the 250hz sweet spot is accessible by the mid sweep control

The four MEC concentric pots are deeper than most pots but the active/passive bypass push pull concentric vol/pan pot requires a particularly deep control cavity. OK for both Spectors but not so OK for the Shuker so I'll fit the original preamp instead which is currently in the natural spector. I'll have to get a control plate arrangement or deep insert socket for the backup Spector too.[/quote]

yeah i was thinking take out the preamp and revert to all passive. Its a shame its not worked out quite as you had hoped, especially after the long wait for it. you gonna go ahead with a replacement fingerboard?

not at this point in time, it'll be a fairly expensive thing to do. I'll fit a set of alnico version of the pickups already installed and also install the 3 band para first and see if that at least allows me to control the brittleness a little more.

• 3 months later...

Just snagged this on Fleabay. Always hankered for one because I think they're a design classic. But only if I could bag a 5 with narrow string spacing.

[attachment=83491:steinberger.jpg]

I've played the 4's in the past and they've been awkward and taken a bit of getting used to but I don't care :)

I'll let you know when it arrives in about 10 days. I prefer narrow spacing like on my alembic, I don't have a bendy thumb on my right hand so it means the higher strings are within reach without pivoting my hand over too much.

I listened to this clip of a fretless XL2A yesterday and thought it sounded gorgeous. Loads of sustain and mwah like my Pentabuzz but without the glassy highs. If I can get around on the XL5A coming I might end up looking for another in or to be converted to fretless.