Why become a member? ×

Kiwi's collection

Kiwi

Sure, no problem. Just so you know though this one was apparently made for ex-AC/DC bassist Cliff Williams and one of an estimated 5 known Cutlass 1 basses with pre-EB features (ie 3 bolt neck and pre EB bridge). So if it wasn't rare enough in being a Cutlass 1, it's probably one of the rarest pre-EB basses ever made, with the exception of prototypes. I'd be reluctant to let it go for the same price as a Cutlass on that basis (and I paid quite a bit more for it than I would have for a bog standard Cutlass 1) so I'll probably end up selling it on commission through Vintage and Rare.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='304481' date='Oct 11 2008, 05:27 PM']Well if I don't get a permenant job before Christmas or I do get a permanent job but have to relocate overseas then I'm going to be facing a sell off of one kind or another just to reduce the storage or shipping costs and maybe raise some cash. If the Shuker headless 6 works out, the Smiths would be relatively easy to replace so I'd consider selling both and the Spector for the right price, perhaps also the Pentabuzz and the V8 too but the Alembic, Celinders and Stingray would be staying as workhorse instruments. Not sure about the Cutlasses yet, I keep vascillating over them whenever I think about options.[/quote]Well I'd be quite happy to offer, errm, storage for any of them for you mate :) :huh:

[quote name='project_c' post='310790' date='Oct 20 2008, 09:07 PM']i just checked out the pentabuzz on your site, it has just about the most beautiful tone i think i've ever heard. did you record the audio samples through any fx / compression, or is that a simple straightforward dry recording?[/quote]
100% straight into the PC and recorded using Soundforge. The only treatment used was normalisation. The Pentabuzz has Alembic P/J pickups which help promote more clarity and midrange than the stock Bartolinis. You could probably achieve much the same with a set of EMGs though.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='304467' date='Oct 11 2008, 04:01 PM']I guess its all a question of taste. I've gigged both and felt the Spector was definitely drier sounding and easier to hear in the mix. The Smiths are very refined and a little chocolatier by comparison. They're also superb recording instruments and great in a small group but I've always had to contend with the scooped sound they have while playing in a larger band (and particularly battling against percussion) so the Spector's slightly more aggressive sound does punch through the mix a little better. I don't really need a lot of low end for our gigs because we play a lot of small venues and the boom can be overwhelming on stage. Having said that, the soundman does keep asking me to turn up when I play the Spector. He usually expects to be hit in the chest by the warmth of the Smiths when I play through the PA...[/quote]

Thought I'd let you know Steve, annoyingly my Spector does stand up to my MTD's very well, it covers the tones that the MTD's aren't exactly best at and also just plays so well, for a £500 bass it is a damn good investment. And thats with the standard Tone Pump as well.

Edited by Josh
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Right-o, its been a while since I've updated this thread so here goes. Sold 5 instruments this year and whittled the collection back a little. I'm probably happier with it now as its more focussed but I still need a workhorse 5.

(L-R) Shuker Headless 6, Spector Euro 6, Pedulla Pentabuzz (with Alembic Activators)

(L-R) 'Ol' No. 2' Celinder Update J (94), Celinder Classic P (02), Musicman Stingray (78), Alembic Series 1 graphite (79)

Backline - I've got a range of options since bagging a second EBS Neo212.

Lightweight Shuttle rig to the left, Burman Pro4000 vintage rig to the right.

I was playing with the eq on the Burman this afternoon. The eq frequency centres are perfectly positioned, I dialled back the treble to remove some harshness, boosted the mids to introduce more growl and bumped up the bass to add warmth. This resulted in some gorgeous, chocolatey growl and boosting either bass or treble on the instrument introduced some nice Ampeg type grind.

Trace V8 to the left with both Neo212's, slightly mad, stereo MIDI rig to the right.

The MIDI rig still needs a 2 channel valve pre (Alembic F-2B), a 2 channel multi effects unit and maaaaaybe a smaller power amp. Having said that, when this thing is working the Strategy 400 and the Roland JV1080 produce some seriously meaty bass synth sounds. This is a work in progress still though.

Hey Steve

Great stuff, my one comment, aside from stating the obvious (like that all looks like a lovely range of gear) and (I seriously could never imagine owning so much stuff or being able to fit it in my flat or justify it to my lovely lady)... is that you are a man of very good taste, and I can see exactly why you would want each and every bit of that gear.

Nice one, I look forward to seeing/hearing this lot at a bash some time.

M

[quote name='urb' post='441931' date='Mar 22 2009, 07:15 PM']I seriously could never imagine owning so much stuff or being able to fit it in my flat[/quote]
Hi Mike, FWIW I've arranged things so that the kit doesn't consume too much floor space. The amps get stuck on a sturdy shelf unit:

and the basses are put in a Warwick bass rack that I was lucky enough to win in the raffle at the last SE bass bash:

The cabs stack by themselves in a corner too. I think I could get this set up in my old flat in London but it would probably be a bit of a squeeze!

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='441944' date='Mar 22 2009, 07:32 PM']Just love that '78 Ray and the 2 Celinders.. Wouldn't like to be your roadie though if you were going on a long tour![/quote]
Thanks Nik, especially shifting that Strategy power amp around. Still, you would probably get to spend more time with the instruments than I would...:)

I have a love hate affair with it to be honest Peter, its an idiosyncratic instrument. :) But the bloke who I bought it from is one of my best mates now so I'm not selling it unless there's no choice. The curves look a little unorthodox but can be very ergonomic when the strap is adjusted so the bass is at the right height.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='441961' date='Mar 22 2009, 07:54 PM']Great stuff Steve, what "workhorse" 5er do you have in mind?[/quote]
Basically anything warm sounding and reasonably versatile with an authorative B-string and minimal mid scoop, Steve.

A warm sounding Status headless would be good, Spector Euro 5, an late 80's MM Stingray 5, Sandberg Ken Taylor or Basic 5...I was even contemplating a Lakland 99-54 or similar last week. Or even a 5 string P/J like the Celinder for sale (although I can't afford that at the moment).

Well, if a CS Ric ever takes your fancy?

I don't really know why I have this Alembic thing. When I 1st started with bass about 12 yrs ago there was a 2nd hand one in Mansons in Plymouth. Ralph, who later worked for BGM did his best to ignore my obvious passion for it and sold me a far more sensible TRB4 instead :)

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='441973' date='Mar 22 2009, 08:03 PM']I don't really know why I have this Alembic thing. When I 1st started with bass about 12 yrs ago there was a 2nd hand one in Mansons in Plymouth. Ralph, who later worked for BGM did his best to ignore my obvious passion for it and sold me a far more sensible TRB4 instead :)[/quote]
Can you recall what model it was? They're great recording instruments but I think a TRB would maybe have been a more versatile first bass - Leland Sklar played them for a long time until he switched to MTD's. Still, the cost of an early 80's Alembic Spoiler might only be the sale of 1-2 of your current basses away. :rolleyes:

EDIT: The Spector is still available as trade bait if that's of interest to anyone with the right 5?

[quote]Can you recall what model it was?[/quote]

I don't know the model (I didn't know the difference between a P and a J at the time) but it was a pure Alembic design not one of the 'nod to the more conventional' models. I think it had the 'lagoon' tailpiece.

• 2 weeks later...

If you're looking for a workhorse 5 string, have you considered an overwater perception bolt on (or thru neck if thats what you're after)? A friend of mine uses one and its a fantastic instrument, very versatile EQ with no real natural scoop in the midrange.

P.S thats a phenomenal collection of gear you have there (lusting for the Mesa/Trace V8!!). how are you finding your MIDI bass now? has Jon tweaked it yet?

• 1 month later...

[quote name='funkypenguin' post='454901' date='Apr 5 2009, 08:48 PM']If you're looking for a workhorse 5 string, have you considered an overwater perception bolt on (or thru neck if thats what you're after)? A friend of mine uses one and its a fantastic instrument, very versatile EQ with no real natural scoop in the midrange.

P.S thats a phenomenal collection of gear you have there (lusting for the Mesa/Trace V8!!). how are you finding your MIDI bass now? has Jon tweaked it yet?[/quote]
Hi Penguin, a few others have suggested looking at Overwater as well. I've also been talking to Chris Celinder about his Aura basses which are supposed to be a tribute to Ken Smith's instruments (although employing a set neck and chambered body). In the meantime I've taken on the flame maple Spector NSCR5 which a few members on the forum have owned. It could do with a bit of a fingerboard dressing which I'll do myself when I go to Jon's this week. However the sound is pretty much everything the Smith had but with a bit more midrange. For a Spector, its particularly warm sounding which surprised me no end and its the sound I've had in my head for a long time. I'll be replacing the EMG's with Basslines and I'll take a view on whether the tone pump needs replacing or not (it sounds better than the one in my Euro 6 which has now gone to the Gallery).

Jon's finished the changes to the Headless 6, we're just waiting on the custom Newtone strings and I'll pop up there sometime early this week to collect it along with a headless guitar he's made a body for, a strat body he's refinished for me and the stingray which needed a refret.

BTW, pending the move I've also completed outfitting the MIDI rig with a 2 channel valve parametric eq and a Class D power amp similar to Ped's (and nearly as cheap!).

[attachment=24974:MIDI_bass_rig.jpg]

Thanks to the amazing versatility of the MPXG2 I've avoided the need to get a mixer/preamp. I'm satisfied with this solution, its the best balance between the minimum number of components and retaining some flexibility for different playing environments. The Class D power amp was a steal at $216 and replaces the Strategy 400 which sold last week.

Nice kit there dude!!
My guitarist has the alembic preamp that dave gilmour used back in the dark side days but I,m sure he wont sell it but I have a chap that reckons he can build a copy of it as he made notes of its contruction whist servicing it.

[quote name='wizbat' post='484707' date='May 10 2009, 11:52 PM']Nice kit there dude!!
My guitarist has the alembic preamp that dave gilmour used back in the dark side days but I,m sure he wont sell it but I have a chap that reckons he can build a copy of it as he made notes of its contruction whist servicing it.[/quote]
cheers Wizbat. I was seriously considering adding one to my set up too, but ended up going for the parametric eq instead because 1) it was cheaper and 2) it was more versatile. Alembic made a slight modifications to what is essentially a Fender Dual Showman design. Gilmour had his tech modify his F-2B to remove some of the low end in his, so I understand.

I might have a copy of the F-2B schematic on a hard drive somewhere if you PM me your email addy.

BTW I've ended up with the flame maple natural finished Spector NS5CR that has been owned by quite a few other members. The sound is what I wished I could have obtained from my Smith basses! Solid and warm, with assertive but not aggressive mids and a slight compression in the top. It's a [i]superb[/i] sounding instrument although the fingerboard needs a bit of a dressing as there's a slight hump at the 12th fret. I'll be sorting that out myself on Tuesday when I go see Jon to collect the MIDI headless along with the refinished strat body, the Shukberger guitar and the refretted Stingray.

There will be barely enough time to get to know them all before they get shipped next Tuesday!!