Why become a member? ×

Five string dilemma for Soul/R&B working bass?

MoJoKe

OK, so I've got some really nice basses. I don't really need more (ha ha!), but I mainly play Soul, Blues, R&B, and don't really have a 5 string which does it for me...

In the past I mainly played 4 string, so my JV Precision (Fender Logo'd headstock) was pretty much perfect for the job. For my main gigging bass I now mainly use a Dean Edge 5, but though it plays well (and wouldn't be the end of the earth if damaged), it just doesn't do the right sound...

I recently bagged myself a steal of a deal on a slightly shop soiled (you'd be pushed to tell now though...!) but brand new black and white Squier Jazz 5 for £100, but though it is reasonably playable, it is passive, and just sounds a bit flat. You all know what I mean.

So here's the dilemma.....

Do I try to improve the Squier or trade it and get something second-hand (or new maybe?) which is a little more decent?

Bear in mind:-

1. This is for a jobbing bass, not one for studio use, to bring out on special occasions or lovingly play in the bedroom (I will be ordering a GB Rumour or another Wal for my 50th birthday in 2010 to take care of this need!).

2. Including trade, my budget for this would be £500 max.

Thanks in anticipation!!

If you're playing Soul, Blues and R&B then I don't think a GB or Wal will sound right. If the Squire feels great, like you can't put it down, I'd upgrade the pickups and electrics. Fralins are expensive but great for that "old" fender sound, as are my 20 year old Bartolinis. SDs and Wizards are supposed to be good. Would the guys at Mansons be able to give advice?

[quote name='chris_b' post='366206' date='Dec 30 2008, 01:28 PM']If you're playing Soul, Blues and R&B then I don't think a GB or Wal will sound right...[/quote]

No, this aquisition will be purely for studio work and avarice!!! The Wal definitely won't ever make me sound like Duck Dunn, but the GB certainly can (just ask EBS_Freak! I was honoured with a play on Gabbie at the SW Guitar show and have no doubt!) just not sure I'd be happy taking it into a sweaty pub!

I'm really not "convinced" with the Squier... when you pick up a bass, you usually know without playing it that as soon as your hand runs up and down the back of the neck it is "right" for you... its OK, but not quite "right".

It is going to cost £100+ for even some half decent pups and another £80 or so for a preamp, plus I'll need to pay someone to route the bodywork for the jack socket and battery (well that's what Mansons have suggested, I should have put that in my original post, shouldn't I!).

I guess if that sets it on fire then its probably worth the money, but if not I don't think I'd get the £250 or so investment back, so wouldn't it be better to buy something else?

[quote name='MoJoKe' post='366225' date='Dec 30 2008, 01:55 PM']It is going to cost £100+ for even some half decent pups and another £80 or so for a preamp, plus I'll need to pay someone to route the bodywork for the jack socket and battery (well that's what Mansons have suggested, I should have put that in my original post, shouldn't I!).

I guess if that sets it on fire then its probably worth the money, but if not [b]I don't think I'd get the £250 or so investment back[/b], so wouldn't it be better to buy something else?[/quote]

Just to confirm your thinking - you won't.

[quote name='MoJoKe' post='366238' date='Dec 30 2008, 02:18 PM']....Having just checked out ACG website, I'm now up to about £350 for new components, on a bass that feels "OK" but not stunning. At least with the ACG I suppose I could swap into another Jazz if all went wrong....[/quote]
Mmm. I'm not now convinced you should be doing this! Find a good Lakland Skyline and solve all your problems in one move!

[quote name='chris_b' post='366261' date='Dec 30 2008, 02:39 PM']Mmm. I'm not now convinced you should be doing this! Find a good Lakland Skyline and solve all your problems in one move![/quote]

Yeah, that's sort of where my head is at the moment...! While we all need to look after the pennies at the moment I am worried about making what could be an fairly expensive blunder...

PS. While Wal's are still close to the conversation, I have my name on the new waiting list, but have no idea how long could be, I guess you're gonna be pretty attached to yours and wouldn't consider parting with it?! No, bad boy, sorry.... Shouldn't even have thought that out loud!!

Hello,just read your post & as I'm close to Exeter,this may be near to your budget,I have an early model spector (czech built )Rebop5 ,dot neck,in almost mint cond that my arthritic fingers are struggling with,it has an alder body with aguilar preamp giving a more retro tone than later models,not looking for a jazz in trade,as your close by give me a shout if you want to try it out,happy new year,mike b.

[quote name='MoJoKe' post='366139' date='Dec 30 2008, 12:09 PM']OK, so I've got some really nice basses. I don't really need more (ha ha!), but I mainly play Soul, Blues, R&B, and don't really have a 5 string which does it for me...

In the past I mainly played 4 string, so my JV Precision (Fender Logo'd headstock) was pretty much perfect for the job. For my main gigging bass I now mainly use a Dean Edge 5, but though it plays well (and wouldn't be the end of the earth if damaged), it just doesn't do the right sound...

I recently bagged myself a steal of a deal on a slightly shop soiled (you'd be pushed to tell now though...!) but brand new black and white Squier Jazz 5 for £100, but though it is reasonably playable, it is passive, and just sounds a bit flat. You all know what I mean.

So here's the dilemma.....

Do I try to improve the Squier or trade it and get something second-hand (or new maybe?) which is a little more decent?

Bear in mind:-

1. This is for a jobbing bass, not one for studio use, to bring out on special occasions or lovingly play in the bedroom (I will be ordering a GB Rumour or another Wal for my 50th birthday in 2010 to take care of this need!).

2. Including trade, my budget for this would be £500 max.

Thanks in anticipation!![/quote]

For classic soul and blues sounds, I would have a look at the Ibanez ATK305. Ideal tone for that sort of music, its active and will do anything from Precision to Musicman type tones (I actually prefer mine to my old Stingray - sacrilege I know!). And they have a more traditional look and feel to many five strings.

At this time of year and in the current climate, you would be able to pick up a bog standard Fender Jazz 5 (USA) for about your budget. I was in a busy function band in the UK doing loads of Soul, Disco, R&B etc and to be honest, that bass did everything you'd ever need for that sort of stuff. I really regret selling it. Tough as old boots. Bit floppy on the low B but you can string the B to the "E" machine head and vice-versa (although I had to turn one machine the wrong way) It really solves the problem with the extra length. Check one out.