Why become a member? ×

Best British Bassist

scarified

[quote name='nick' post='366456' date='Dec 30 2008, 06:05 PM']Maybe not the most technical or flashiest player, but [b]Mani[/b]'s certainly helped make the bass cool again & he is entertaining.
For that reason, I'd also put Paul Simonon as a close second & possibly Peter Hook third.[/quote]

Peter Hook a total dickhead, looks and plays bass like a total t*at.

Colin Hodgkinson has been setting high standards for many years, listen to some material from Back Door.

The guy out of the Blockheads......awesome.

A player I think you guys should check out: NEIL MAHONEY, from the band AMPLIFIER - [url="http://www.myspace.com/amplifiertheband"]www.myspace.com/amplifiertheband[/url]

And also, of course Chris Wolstenholme. Technically, not as formidable as someone like Victor Wooten, but to me an intelligent and interesting player. I realise I sound like a Muse fanboy saying this! But even so...

[quote name='steantval' post='366491' date='Dec 30 2008, 06:38 PM']Peter Hook a total dickhead, looks and plays bass like a total t*at.

Colin Hodgkinson has been setting high standards for many years, listen to some material from Back Door.

The guy out of the Blockheads......awesome.[/quote]That's a bit harsh....

....not knowing that Norman Watt-Roy is the bassist in the Blockheads. :)

[quote name='steantval' post='366491' date='Dec 30 2008, 06:38 PM']Peter Hook a total dickhead, looks and plays bass like a total t*at.

The guy out of the Blockheads......awesome.[/quote]

+1 Norman Watt-Roy - Good call, if if you could actually remember the fella's name - Wikipedia's quite good.
FYI, also played on some Clash stuff - total respect

Out of curiosity, why is [i]'Peter Hook a total dickhead, looks and plays bass like a total t*at.'[/i]?
Personally, thought he was quite innovative in his genre for the time & even now.
Prey tell, please enlighten me. :)

Edited by nick

[quote name='Jase' post='366809' date='Dec 31 2008, 01:55 AM']Has anyone mentioned Tony Franklin?

I'd never seen/heard Hodgkinson....just been watching this [url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_gutdzlHK6E&feature=related"]Cool as hell![/url][/quote]
I remember reading a Stanley Clarke interview years ago where he cited Colin Hodgkinson as one of his fave bass players.

[quote name='nick' post='366807' date='Dec 31 2008, 01:41 AM']+1 Norman Watt-Roy - Good call, if if you could actually remember the fella's name - Wikipedia's quite good.
FYI, also played on some Clash stuff - total respect[/quote]

Wikipedia also says Norman Watt-Roy was born in India, i dunno if thats true or not?

and do you mean Watt-Roy played on some clash stuff? what clash stuff would that be, then?

if we are counting Watt-Roy as british then, like i said in my last post, he has to be up there, just listen to rythm stick!

[quote name='LWTAIT' post='367140' date='Dec 31 2008, 03:18 PM']Wikipedia also says Norman Watt-Roy was born in India, i dunno if thats true or not?[/quote]
He was born in Bombay, moved here when he was a child & being a UK resident,passport etc; he would surely have British citizenship by now, therefore British.

[quote name='LWTAIT' post='367140' date='Dec 31 2008, 03:18 PM']and do you mean Watt-Roy played on some clash stuff? what clash stuff would that be, then?[/quote]
[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandinista"]'Sandinista'[/url]! & the woeful [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cut_the_Crap"]'Cut The Crap'[/url]

[quote name='LWTAIT' post='367140' date='Dec 31 2008, 03:18 PM']if we are counting Watt-Roy as british then, like i said in my last post, he has to be up there, just listen to rythm stick![/quote]
[b]+1[/b]

Edited by nick

[quote name='Jase' post='366809' date='Dec 31 2008, 01:55 AM']Has anyone mentioned Tony Franklin?

I'd never seen/heard Hodgkinson....just been watching this [url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_gutdzlHK6E&feature=related"]Cool as hell![/url][/quote][url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=jRUjH1zAcZA&feature=related"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=jRUjH1zAcZA&...feature=related[/url]
I play left handed and it freaks me out seeing other lefties, this is good. :)

Colin Hodgkinson

OK I'll admit I've never heard of this dude before - so I looked at all the youtubes and it's clear that the guy is a serious musician - but (and I'm probably about to commit harikari) is it me or is he basically just a guitarist?! This thread is about about bassist's, right?

Oh and happy new year to you all :)

Pluck

Edited by sgt-pluck

[quote name='sgt-pluck' post='367359' date='Dec 31 2008, 07:03 PM']Colin Hodgkinson

OK I'll admit I've never heard of this dude before - so I looked at all the youtubes and it's clear that the guy is a serious musician - but (and I'm probably about to commit harikari) is it me or is he basically just a guitarist?!

Pluck[/quote]

Same here, I only ever saw his name on this forum......weirdly enough when first watching the clip I thought maybe he plays guitar too (nowt wrong with that) but then I thought perhaps he doesn't and just knows his sh*t :)

[quote name='urb' post='366861' date='Dec 31 2008, 09:19 AM']Er, any votes for Dave Holland, probably in top three jazz bassists on the planet today.... and one of the few to play with Miles Davis and still be going very strong today... and from Wolverhampton[/quote]

HOORAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

[quote name='Veils' post='366864' date='Dec 31 2008, 09:27 AM']A vote for Wolverhampton is a vote for evil.[/quote]

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

...... back on topic, it's gotta be Cottle for me.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='367555' date='Jan 1 2009, 09:09 AM']Wikipedia:
[i]Jean-Jacques Burnel (born 21 February 1952 in London) [/i]

British? Au contraire!! :)[/quote]

Yes, born in Notting Hill, but to French parents. Could be argued either way I suppose-I think he would probably consider himself to be British. Was known simply as John until one of the Stranglers' managers saw the 'Jean-Jacques' on his passport, thought it more 'interesting' and persuaded him to start using it. Narrowly avoided the French national service in the 70's, so obviously eligible for it. Dunno.