Why become a member? ×

Yamaha BB's

Jase

[quote name='andy67' post='367004' date='Dec 31 2008, 12:40 PM']not as baseball 'battish' as the attitude but fairly chunky!

billy described it as a sort of pj hybrid, thin and fast but I have no idea what he was thinking on that! its not thin about p in size but fairly chunky front to back - its 42mm at the nut - it is though fast!

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=33836&st=0&p=348705&#entry348705"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...mp;#entry348705[/url]

andy[/quote]

Cheers Andy, looks great! From the pics the neck profile seems good too...just didn't want something like a Geddy profile. I notice the bridge is much better than the 414 and 614 :)

[quote name='Shockwave' post='367032' date='Dec 31 2008, 01:12 PM']Its a great little bass. Any idea where the pre-amp came from? I am pretty sure the treble pot is not working correctly. Doesant really change much of the sound.[/quote]I bought the eq from the usa,the treble pot worked fine when i had it,perhaps you need to let e tech look at it if your not that way inclined,maybe a loose wire?it's a great bass!!

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Jase' post='365630' date='Dec 29 2008, 05:46 PM']Does anyone here have experience on the new BB series and the original BB's. Just wondered how close they are to the original, is hardware easy to change? Are they available fretless? That sort of thing ;)[/quote]

The only ones close to the originals are the BB3000 and BBX. Ones to go for are the BB1200, BB2000 or BB3000s (if you like a jazz type neck). The current BB3000 is OK (if you like a chunky neck) but the finish isn't as durable as the BB2000. The 80's korean built BB3000 basses (which include almost all the active ones) in particular are prone to finish flaking. The finish on the BB1200 and BB2000 is pretty much indestructible.

Recent BB's are great basses as well though, although it would be nice if they offered one with a 1 3/4" neck like the original broad bass.

[quote name='BB2000' post='384257' date='Jan 18 2009, 07:05 PM']The only ones close to the originals are the BB3000 and BBX. Ones to go for are the BB1200, BB2000 or BB3000s (if you like a jazz type neck). The current BB3000 is OK (if you like a chunky neck) but the finish isn't as durable as the BB2000. The 80's korean built BB3000 basses (which include almost all the active ones) in particular are prone to finish flaking. The finish on the BB1200 and BB2000 is pretty much indestructible.

Recent BB's are great basses as well though, although it would be nice if they offered one with a 1 3/4" neck like the original broad bass.[/quote]

Thanks Mr Yamaha man! ;)

[quote name='andy67' post='367004' date='Dec 31 2008, 12:40 PM']not as baseball 'battish' as the attitude but fairly chunky!

billy described it as a sort of pj hybrid, thin and fast but I have no idea what he was thinking on that! its not thin about p in size but fairly chunky front to back - its 42mm at the nut - it is though fast!

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=33836&st=0&p=348705&#entry348705"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...mp;#entry348705[/url]

andy[/quote]

Any idea how the bb714 compares to bb414 re build quality (quite a bit more expensive bit looks very similar). Would you think the range of sounds available are more (or less) varied (or just different). Was going for the bb414 but am curious now!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Shockwave' post='366165' date='Dec 30 2008, 12:38 PM']I have me a BB5000 Which is pretty much the top dog in the BB series. One of the first commercially viable 5 strings and used by many session players in the 80s (Nathan east anyone?)

Its gorgeous ;) Its really punchy and growly. Due to it being one of the first 5 strings the string spacing is quite tight but pretty slappable!

Overall it matches and surpasses the quality i have seen on the musicmans i have had in my hands recently.

Mine has the original case and Fender 18Volt pre-amp, Its all good :P[/quote]

Give me your address hahaha

[quote name='hookys6stringbass' post='395468' date='Jan 30 2009, 03:15 PM']I had the BB 614 in black, it was a great bass for the money. The only reason I sold it is that I have 2 BB 1200s and 1 BB 1200... so it didn't really get a look in

BB1200s

BB1200

[/quote]

Is that a factory finish green 1200s? They're pretty rare. I had a green BB2000 stolen a year or so ago - only a handful of BB2000 models were finished in that colour. It was a standard finish for the BB1200 but is still pretty unusual to see one in comparison to the wine, cherry and natural models. Don't know why - it's the nicest finish of the lot.

Edit - Oh, I see it's lost the decal - I guess this is a black refinish?

Edited by BB2000

Is that a factory finish green 1200s? They're pretty rare. I had a green BB2000 stolen a year or so ago - only a handful of BB2000 models were finished in that colour. It was a standard finish for the BB1200 but is still pretty unusual to see one in comparison to the wine, cherry and natural models. Don't know why - it's the nicest finish of the lot.

Edit - Oh, I see it's lost the decal - I guess this is a black refinish?

It was a factory finish black, but the paint work had reacted with the wood (can't remember the details) so I had it refinished  I hope to have a decal sorted at some stage- but not from Yamaha grrrrr as they don't hand out decals to anyone. not even if you've had Yamaha basses for years..... Edited by hookys6stringbass

I love the necks - they're kinda of P like, but I find I can play a little more freely on the BB's. The necks are wide, and fairly flat (depthwise). The tone to me is fender-esque but slightly more lively. I've got a fretless BB2000 in natural and had a BB1100s.
I haven't played the newer BBs, but I'm quite curious as i've been after a fretted BB2000 for years. I've even been half tempted to get the fretless fretted...

Edited by aryustailm

• 1 year later...

[quote name='Rayman' post='395710' date='Jan 30 2009, 04:33 PM']Like this?..............

[/quote]

Hmmm - looks IDENTICAL to my BB3000s - I LOVE that bass. Easiest bass to play - even I sound good on it!

I've got a BB2000 and a BB5000 as well.

Amazing basses - these '80s BBs!

[quote name='Jase' post='365630' date='Dec 29 2008, 06:46 PM']Does anyone here have experience on the new BB series and the original BB's. Just wondered how close they are to the original, is hardware easy to change? Are they available fretless? That sort of thing :)[/quote]

I had a BB1200 way back when (talking 21 years ago, Jeez..), through neck, had been defretted when I got it for 80 quid. I had it refretted, fitted EMG pickups, Precision and Jazz and an MEC active circuit. I also cut out a section on the lower horn to aid upper fret access, had the neck shaved to a Jazz profile and stripped the finish off, don't ask me why, seemed like a good idea at the time! Was a nice bass, but not as nice as the ESP Jazz I had at the time so I sold it to somebody in Newcastle. Often wish I'd kept it. Would love to know what happened to it.

I also had one of the BB5000 5 strings that were being knocked out at 500 quid by Rock City in Newcastle, must've been the first reasonably priced 5 string there was. Balanced well, nice and light. Liked the sound, but the string spacing was too tight for me and the bloody thing would not stay in tune!

[quote name='andy67' post='366917' date='Dec 31 2008, 11:51 AM']I have one of these: [url="http://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/guitars_basses/el_basses/bb714bs_lava_red/"]http://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_i...714bs_lava_red/[/url]

and, I'm very impressed!

andy[/quote]

Ah, was wonderin when someone would post this.
Are they any good? I heard Sheehan himself doesn't like the neck, wants a chunky one added to his, but beyond his own personal taste...how does it fair?

[quote name='Sean' post='884555' date='Jul 3 2010, 08:15 AM']Proper photos; those Yamaha catalogue shots are weird, like they aren't even real photos.[/quote]

I er...think I need a tissue...and FAST!!!

Edited by Kongo