Why become a member? ×

Combo/Practise amps

agoulding

After selling my trace rig I'm hoping to get a decent combo or practise amp because, I am no longer in a band, i have no intention of joining any other band and i have no room for a big amp but i do need something with a killer sound.

Im looking for something up to 100w maybe 150w. Does anyone have an idea what i could go for? i am tempted by a little markbass or maybe an ampeg.

thoughts?

Budget...looking at 200 - 600

If it's for bedroom use only then you won't even need that many watts. I'm selling my rig for the same reasons as you and have a 2nd hand 20w Peavey Microbass on its way to me. These get great reviews, as do the Fender Bassman 25, Orange Crush 35B, Acoustic B20 and the smaller Eden Nemesis combos (there's an Eden N8 for sale in the classifieds that I almost bought before I found my Peavey bargain for £30!).

[url="http://www.stagebeat.co.uk/P/6839/PEAVEY+BASS+GUITAR+AMPLIFIER+MICROBASS+00456032"]Stagebeat[/url] are doing the microbass for under fifty quid at the moment. i've been using one for years, great for home practice and rehearsals when the drummers missus wont let him out to play! :)

If you want killer sound and have no intention of using it in a band then I don't think you can beat the PJB Bass Briefcase. Every other small combo is either compromised to get enough loudness or to get the price low enough - the Briefcase doesn't play loud at all but it ticks all the tonal boxes of deep bass extension, midrange punch and smooth clean treble.

The MB150 is great for gigging because it's very loud for its size and weight but the tone is a matter of taste - I like it for some stuff but it's quite restricted to a rather midrangey vibe.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='364984' date='Dec 28 2008, 05:40 PM']If you want killer sound and have no intention of using it in a band then I don't think you can beat the PJB Bass Briefcase. Every other small combo is either compromised to get enough loudness or to get the price low enough - the Briefcase doesn't play loud at all but it ticks all the tonal boxes of deep bass extension, midrange punch and smooth clean treble.

The MB150 is great for gigging because it's very loud for its size and weight but the tone is a matter of taste - I like it for some stuff but it's quite restricted to a rather midrangey vibe.

Alex[/quote]

On its own the GK is a bit mid-rangey but with a bassier extension cab its fine. Good points though. I do like the look of a PJB Bass Briefcase!

I use my MB150 primarily for amplifying my double bass - where it works well (as many top double bassists will confirm). I also use it to thrash out some dirty bass sounds with my Rickenbacker. It is versatile.

Edited by Pookus

If it's just for home use, I recommend getting a little mixer, like a Behringer Xenyx 802 and a pair of active powered monitors. Connect your PC (or MP3 player) and your bass to the mixer, connect the mixer to the speakers and jam along with your favourite tunes. Also sounds much better than a practice amp, me thinks.

If it's bedroom use only mate go for the new Roland microbass (or whatever it's called, the one with 4 speakers and the drum machine). It's the best £129 I ever spent, a great practice tool (drum machine and metronome), great tones from the amp models, good enough FX and loud enough to annoy the neighbours.
Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='365011' date='Dec 28 2008, 06:08 PM']If it's bedroom use only mate go for the new Roland microbass (or whatever it's called, the one with 4 speakers and the drum machine). It's the best £129 I ever spent, a great practice tool (drum machine and metronome), great tones from the amp models, good enough FX and loud enough to annoy the neighbours.
Chris[/quote]

whats that like then? does it sound better than the common practise amp - i find they sound a bee in a jar... do they have enough depth? if that makes sense

At home I practice with a SWR Baby Blue into a pair of JBL Control1. There´s barely any lowend coming out of these speakers but mids and highend are great, very controlled and audible when playing with CD or Computer. Less lowend means less trouble with neighbours. Anyway, I´m out of the age to practice loud (but in case I need to I still have my big studiomonitors with 4x15" :-)
Small practice amps never did it for me. They always sounded too midrangy, muddy, cheap..... So I can second stingrayfan´s opinion. A little mixer and studiomonitors will do it plus you get a bunch of cool features with a mixer.

I have recently purchased a Genz-Benz 3.0 Shuttle amp with an 8 inch speaker. It does very well for a practice amp and for playing small rooms or coffehouses. I use it for practice with a group that inc ludes two guitarists and a keyboardest as well as 3 singers and a violinist. It can be heard and does a good job. It is very lightweight (13 pounds) and very easy for me to get around. :)

If an additional 8 ohm cabinet is added to the rig, the wattage jumps up to 300 watts, which would cover most small to medium size venues. I will probably purchase an Avatar 12 or 15 inch speaker cabinet for larger places when I play. It will still be considerably lighter to carry than my present rig for larger places. There are Shuttle combinations with more powerful heads and larger speaker cabs, but I like the flexibility of the setup.

The only problem is........it is not cheap. It costs 699 USD. Very expensive, but worth it in my opinion.

I agree with fretlessguy - I have the shuttle 3-10 (same shuttle 3.0 head but with the 10" cab)
Its plenty on loud its own (and under 20lb and small!) but I added a 15" hartke cab because I could hehe.

Would be perfect - Bassdirect do them delivered for £560 ish (I paid around that)

They arent cheap - but the sound good and the convenience of the weight and size tops most stuff out there.

Its got my vote!

[quote name='alexclaber' post='364984' date='Dec 28 2008, 05:40 PM']If you want killer sound and have no intention of using it in a band then I don't think you can beat the PJB Bass Briefcase. Every other small combo is either compromised to get enough loudness or to get the price low enough - the Briefcase doesn't play loud at all but it ticks all the tonal boxes of deep bass extension, midrange punch and smooth clean treble.[/quote]

+1. The PJB sounds superb. Its shape means it's also very easy to secrete anywhere around the house for when inspiration strikes.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EBS-Drome-Professional-Bass-Combo-Amplifier-150Watt_W0QQitemZ220336662827QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL?hash=item220336662827&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1298%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EBS-Drome-Profession...A1%7C240%3A1318[/url]

This seems fairly good :)