Why become a member? ×

AKG Guitar bug issues??

Jamesemt

At my last gig (or I think that should read first gig in 13 years :)), while soundchecking I got a really distorted sound with my AKG wireless bug. I checked that none of the levels were too high, the problem disappeared with a lead...Any ideas what the problem could have been? It was placed on top of my cabs, I presume that's not an issue??

I just bought one of these and have only tried it at home so far. Gig on NY Eve so I/m looking forward to using it then.

On my P bass, I have had to turn the actual Bug volume screw all the way down or I get the red clipping light come on, so those PUPs must be pumping it out :)

My only criticism so far is that it does flap about a bit if I get a bit boisterous (oo~err). The careful application of a bit of Blutack does the job though.

[quote name='Marky L' post='365318' date='Dec 29 2008, 09:42 AM']I just bought one of these and have only tried it at home so far. Gig on NY Eve so I/m looking forward to using it then.

On my P bass, I have had to turn the actual Bug volume screw all the way down or I get the red clipping light come on, so those PUPs must be pumping it out :huh:

My only criticism so far is that it does flap about a bit if I get a bit boisterous (oo~err). The careful application of a bit of Blutack does the job though.[/quote]

Didn't you get a little circle of self-adhesive velcro (well, 2 actually.... :) ) ?

[quote name='nash' post='365613' date='Dec 29 2008, 05:29 PM']jamesemt you have some really nice basses listed in your sig. why would you use such a cheap wireless rather than a really good cable that you could get for the same price.

ps this isn't meant to be offensive[/quote]

Probably the same reason the rest of us do. For convenience.

And while a transmitter will change the tone slightly i doubt anyone would notice it once the full band are playing. Ive tried this with my rig and there is a slight boost in the lows and highs, but nothing i cant use the EQ to fix if i felt it really made that much of a difference.

Iveeven recorded with mine. Sounds silly maybe but it really made no difference. In fact it did, we all prefered the tone i got with it plugged in.

And come on, a £100 lead? that really is a joke IME. And if you are going to use a lead as expensive as that you would have to use this grade of lead throughout the chain, otherwise it makes no sense in the real world.

And i also mean no offence, just saying why i use them.

Edited by dave_bass5

i'll hold my hands up and say i don't see the convnience in them unless you're playing a big stage.

i've had a wireless system and it caused way more problems that it's worth to me. also doing sound at gigs watching people wonder why they have no signal and its because of the cheap wireless.

also i thought the bug things were £70 now but i've not looked. i agree on the £100 for a lead but that just shows you could buy a nice lead and patch lead setup from OBBM for that money.

[quote name='tonybassplayer' post='365771' date='Dec 29 2008, 08:59 PM']Yes, I like mine for the convenience factor but my problem is that it was supplied with a two pin "shaver" style plug and the adapter I have seems very loose so I end up gaffa taping it down. Anyone else experience this ??[/quote]

you can buy an adaptor that looks like a plug. you put the two pronged plug inside it. Its a much better way of doing it.

This is what i use.
[url="http://www.cybermarket.co.uk/shopscr4017.html"]2 pin to 3 pin adaptor[/url]
I got one free from Digital Village when i got my AKGWMS400 system. my Bug came with a wall wart PSU.

Being in liquidation is still not excuse for selling equipment that is being supplied with from a legal standpoint the wrong type of mains connector.

However you should either cut the existing plug off and fit a proper UK plug with the correct rated fuse, or buy the adaptor in the link.

[quote name='JimH' post='365441' date='Dec 29 2008, 01:14 PM']Didn't you get a little circle of self-adhesive velcro (well, 2 actually.... :) ) ?[/quote]

Yeah I did (just one) but I didn't think it would stay sticky for long. Hmm.. so should I have had like a male and female velcro pad for some bug to bass velcro fun?

Actually, now I think about it, maybe it is both halves but they are joined together (in a velcro love style situation) already.. me have a look later when I'm back home.

Anyway, the Blutac allows me to use it on more than one bass easily.

[quote name='tonybassplayer' post='365799' date='Dec 29 2008, 09:56 PM']Bought it from Sound Control during the close down phase.

The problem is that it is the ac/dc adaptor with the shaver type pins coming out of it so it looks like I will need a complete new adaptor.[/quote]

BigRedX is correct. By law it should be supplied with a correctly moulded UK power unit.. but the fact that it was from Sound Control as they closed down doesn't help. Try contacting the manufacturer.

As for it being a shaver style connection, I would hazard a guess that it's actually a Euro 2 pin plug and you can get plenty of adaptors for that. Or go down the dodgy route of using something to poke in the earth pin hole of the socket to open up the other two socket holes and then jam the bugger in. Done it with laptops before :)

*Disclaimer. If you die or blow up because of the above advice, don't come limping to me.

I really would not encourage anyone to be sticking a screwdriver or similar into a live socket, earth or not!

However, I've found the weakness in my AKG bug was the inputs from the amp, the jack gave up after around a year and the XLR is on its way out too, mind I do have a hefty jack to XLR convertor hanging out of it!

They are very useful for allowing you to mix the sound when you don't have the luxury of a sound engineer.

Sorry - I misunderstood. So you have a wall-wart with a European mains plug rather than the UK version?

Tricky. Your best bet would be to get a proper UK power supply from AKG's UK distributor which of course will cost... I wonder what the legal situation is since electrical equipment sold for use in the UK must have a proper UK plug and therefore this one is some sort of dodgy grey import. Would Sound Control's liquidators be liable for selling mains equipment with the wrong plug (and one that's not easily safely fixable)?

On the original question, I started getting some horrible distortion from my Nady 201 a while ago when it was on top of the amp which disappeared if it wasn't. Then it went intermittently dead (inaudible, power light still on on receiver). On examination (as they say), the jack socket, which is one of those big plastic boxes, had cracked, so one contact was poor and was presumably being shaken off by the vibration on top of the cab. Replaced the jack socket with a plain ordinary moulded one from Maplin and the problem was solved.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='366332' date='Dec 30 2008, 03:48 PM']Sorry - I misunderstood. So you have a wall-wart with a European mains plug rather than the UK version?

Tricky. Your best bet would be to get a proper UK power supply from AKG's UK distributor which of course will cost... I wonder what the legal situation is since electrical equipment sold for use in the UK must have a proper UK plug and therefore this one is some sort of dodgy grey import. Would Sound Control's liquidators be liable for selling mains equipment with the wrong plug (and one that's not easily safely fixable)?[/quote]

Its not too difficult to get something better from somewhere like Maplins. Personally i think that would be a better idea.

When i got my AKG WMS40 system (i use this with my other band) that too came with a two pronged plug. When i spoke to Digital Village about the law concerning this they were quite helpful and said they would order me one (free of course) but it would take weeks as the UK version of the PSU was not supplied with any of the units they had. In then end i just got them to send me the adaptor. seemed quicker.