Why become a member? ×

considering downsizing my rig.

0175westwood29

hi,

i currently have a orange half stack comprising of a 115 cab and ad140b head

[url="http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg72/0175westwood29/orange1.jpg"]http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg72/01...d29/orange1.jpg[/url]

i love the tone i get but the weight is a bit much as is the size as my band doesn't have a van or anything, so i have to get my stuff around in a ford fiesta! as you can imagine that rig and to basses, and my leads and pedals are a slight squeeze.

so im trying to start downsizing my rig or thinking bout it, starting with the ad140b and im considering a few options for a replacement and am wondering what you guys think?

hughes and kettner bass base 600

gk fusion 550 (not to sure on this one as im not a fan of the rb series)

ive had my ad140b valued at 1600 pounds, and i found a site today saying that you can get between 2000-2600 usd for one in tiptop condition which mine is, so im hoping to be able to do either a part ex or sell it and with the money buy a new head with a bit left over.

if you guys have any suggestions or have any views on the amps im looking into getting plz feel free to let me know.

andy

I dont know enough about Orange as to why you amp is worth more than a new AD-200B but I'll take your word for it. Is it hard wired? Might be worth bearing in mind when you come to sell it.

I think you can judge the popularity of the amps you are considering by the number of people using them - although the GK Fusion is quite new. Might be worth doing a search to see if anyone has posted reviews etc.

Edited by bass_ferret

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='362934' date='Dec 24 2008, 04:24 PM']I dont know enough about Orange as to why you amp is worth more than a new AD-200B but I'll take your word for it. Is it hard wired? Might be worth bearing in mind when you come to sell it.[/quote]

yeh the ad140b is hand wired and they only made 17 of them of which mines number 17, im guessing this makes it that pricey?

Can't comment on the value of your amp but you'd be amazed how often something which is 'valued' at £xxxx rarely achieves that when you try to sell it. :)

I can say that the H&K is a cracking amp (IMHO), though I'm not sure that you are saving a huge amount on room/size once it's case but you should save on weight in comparison to a valve amp.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='362951' date='Dec 24 2008, 04:45 PM']Can't comment on the value of your amp but you'd be amazed how often something which is 'valued' at £xxxx rarely achieves that when you try to sell it. :)[/quote]

i am a little worried bout that to be honest i dnt see why i shouldnt get a grand for it? its like new! id love to prat ex one for one but it not gonna happen!
[quote name='warwickhunt' post='362951' date='Dec 24 2008, 04:45 PM']I can say that the H&K is a cracking amp (IMHO), though I'm not sure that you are saving a huge amount on room/size once it's case but you should save on weight in comparison to a valve amp.[/quote]

yeh im more conserned bout the weight, but also it will save me some space as im not sure if im gonna get the rack for i probs get a bag for it.

but for the h n k im intrested in the to channel eq for different sounds, as i have to completely diff basses, plus with the stage board you can do it in the middle of songs to.

[quote name='tombboy' post='364667' date='Dec 28 2008, 10:53 AM']Both great choices there.
I have a Markbass TA503. Really light, you have to keep it in a rack to stop it floating away. GREAT tonal variety and controllable range. LOADS of oomph!![/quote]

wots the tone like ive never played markbass?

im looking for a dirty rock tone.

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='364673' date='Dec 28 2008, 10:59 AM']I'd go super-lightweight to see any benefit. Mark Bass or similar and a couple of 2x10s otherwise you're going to be lugging about pretty much the same stuff as you are now![/quote]

im looking into that as i did nearly buy an ashdown little giant 1000 b4 i bout this rig, im not talking an amazing dif in size just a more easy to handle amount.

im thinking 210 cabs and the hughes but how similar is that setup to a 410? soundwise?

Edited by 0175westwood29

It's 2x12 or 2x10 or a combination of the two. Schroeders have a second speaker behind and angled upwards (where that big hole is)

I recently changed from a full stack to a Little Mark II and a Schroeder 1212r and couldn't be happier. My band mates are eternally grateful as i can carry my amp and cab in one go!

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='365550' date='Dec 29 2008, 04:10 PM']It's 2x12 or 2x10 or a combination of the two. Schroeders have a second speaker behind and angled upwards (where that big hole is)

I recently changed from a full stack to a Little Mark II and a Schroeder 1212r and couldn't be happier. My band mates are eternally grateful as i can carry my amp and cab in one go![/quote]
ill bet my bandmates moan at me cos of the weight of my head when we clearing up cos sometimes they have to move it, so glad i didnt get the marshall vba 400 now!

cabs not really a big problem for me but i might change to a dif cab/s if needed?, but the head is so big fills up half my boot! i know with heads ive suggested i wnt be saving much but i will be saving on weight at the very least.

[quote name='0175westwood29' post='364807' date='Dec 28 2008, 01:37 PM']is that a 15 in there?

did you have the ashdown 210's?[/quote]

That's a 2x12. Yes I had 2 ABM 2x10s. I retro fitted them with Ashdown Superfly neos, but the Schro is still lighter and has a better "in the mix" and on stage sound. Not as pretty sounding soloed indoors as the ABMs, but that's not what it's for eh.

[quote name='ezbass' post='366885' date='Dec 31 2008, 10:15 AM']That's a 2x12. Yes I had 2 ABM 2x10s. I retro fitted them with Ashdown Superfly neos, but the Schro is still lighter and has a better "in the mix" and on stage sound. Not as pretty sounding soloed indoors as the ABMs, but that's not what it's for eh.[/quote]

indeed, ive been looking at the 212 aggie 600w cab i get it in 8hm i think it be a nice cab.

any views?

Until a few days ago i was a very happy GK user.

I personally like a good, dirty rock tone and the GK is the dogs in that respect as it has the valve emulator built in - The Fusion has the real valve dealy.

It also has the motorised knobs so with the press of a footswitch you can change the EQ to something else which is ideal as you have different basses.

Plus GKs are reliable as hell.

I think there's a guy on Talkbs that got one of the first ones so there should be a review over there.

I am now using a Genz Shuttle as the GK was too heavy (Probably still lighter than the 'Orange' logo on your amp). I bought it because it was light, small and sounded good based on the reviews I read. I'm very surprised to say that it can produce an even better rock tone than the GK.

I've only used it for one gig so far so only time will tell but so far I am very impressed with it. I'll reserve final judgement on it until after I've had it for at least 6 months.

I also use a Schroeder cab; mine is the 1212L which comes in at 42lbs. That's nothing for a 2x12" cab that can produce a phenomenal amount of volume, so much so that i use it in my rock band without a PA.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='366959' date='Dec 31 2008, 11:40 AM']Until a few days ago i was a very happy GK user.

I personally like a good, dirty rock tone and the GK is the dogs in that respect as it has the valve emulator built in - The Fusion has the real valve dealy.

It also has the motorised knobs so with the press of a footswitch you can change the EQ to something else which is ideal as you have different basses.

Plus GKs are reliable as hell.

I think there's a guy on Talkbs that got one of the first ones so there should be a review over there.[/quote]

yeh he's posted in a thread i got going over there

[quote name='Delberthot' post='366959' date='Dec 31 2008, 11:40 AM']I am now using a Genz Shuttle as the GK was too heavy (Probably still lighter than the 'Orange' logo on your amp). I bought it because it was light, small and sounded good based on the reviews I read. I'm very surprised to say that it can produce an even better rock tone than the GK.[/quote]

to right! im intrigued by genz im probs gonna have to try, its got a tube pre yeh?

[quote name='Delberthot' post='366959' date='Dec 31 2008, 11:40 AM']I also use a Schroeder cab; mine is the 1212L which comes in at 42lbs. That's nothing for a 2x12" cab that can produce a phenomenal amount of volume, so much so that i use it in my rock band without a PA.[/quote]

this sounds good im considering getting a 212.

thanks man

right ive made a decision that if i try a bass base 600 and like it! the orange will be for sale!

im gonna try and track down 2 8 ohm 210 cabs and sell my 115 orange cab.

theres just one problem the bass base 600 has been apparently discontinued! so from here on i might have to look for one secondhand.

If you want a dirty rock tone like you get from the Orange, I would suggest Ashdown - get the Little Giant 1000. A 1000W portable amp for only £290 delivered. It's even orange, so you'll feel right at home! They are brand new, but a few reports on Talkbass I've read are all very positive. Keep the Orange 1x15 cab if you can handle the weight, it's a beauty! I'm tempted to get the LG1000 with an Orange OBC115 myself, they'd look so PUURRTY... :)

[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product.asp?id=8585"]http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product.asp?id=8585[/url]

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='368626' date='Jan 2 2009, 05:10 PM']If you want a dirty rock tone like you get from the Orange, I would suggest Ashdown - get the Little Giant 1000. A 1000W portable amp for only £290 delivered. It's even orange, so you'll feel right at home! They are brand new, but a few reports on Talkbass I've read are all very positive. Keep the Orange 1x15 cab if you can handle the weight, it's a beauty! I'm tempted to get the LG1000 with an Orange OBC115 myself, they'd look so PUURRTY... :)

[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product.asp?id=8585"]http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product.asp?id=8585[/url]

[/quote]

i nearly got one of these b4 i got my orange rig, thing is you dnt get the full 1000 unless you use two 4 ohm cabs, as it 500w a side, and you can't bridge it either.