Why become a member? ×

considering downsizing my rig.

0175westwood29

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='369382' date='Jan 3 2009, 05:08 PM']Yeah, if I ever get one I'll try and get a lightweight 4-ohm cab that can handle 500W. I'd view it as a 500W amp with an extra 500W thrown in for free should you ever need it later![/quote]

indeed ill probably end up getting one after they been out for a while

If you can stretch to it, then I can humbly recommend TecAmp.

I've been using Tec cabs for a few years and they're fantastic (my old rig is still in my sig. below).

However, the TecAmp Puma amps are a new amazing revelation and exactly what I've been looking for. The Eden Nemesis probably was the best sounding amp I've ever heard and I would have loved it (and still have it) if it weighed 3kg. The Puma is a bit cleaner, obviously much lighter and is just as capable of deafening the drummer. It sounds really, really good with my Wal. It's maybe too clean for your needs though, so the Nemesis would be the amp I suggest for you (the newer RS700 looks even better).

As for cabs, get yourself a TecAmp M212 4ohm cab and I guarantee you, you will not be dissapointed. This really is the best cab I've ever used. You could even use two of them with the RS700 as it'll work down to 2 ohms. Actually, any Tec cab will probably blow you away - they weigh nothing but sound huge.

I'm 40 years old and I've been playing bass since I was 17 and I really consider myself very lucky to own such amazing gear. My Wal is nearly 30 years old but it works so well with ultra modern Tecamps! I can only suggest what I've actually used and being an old codger, my choices seem to deviate towards the lighter end of the bass amp weight spectrum and the amps you've singled out as candidates really don't differ much in size or weight from what you currently own to merit a change at all. You need to seriously rethink!!

D.

[quote name='deksawyer' post='369719' date='Jan 4 2009, 02:31 AM']I've been using Tec cabs for a few years and they're fantastic (my old rig is still in my sig. below).

I'm 40 years old and I've been playing bass since I was 17 and I really consider myself very lucky to own such amazing gear. My Wal is nearly 30 years old but it works so well with ultra modern Tecamps! I can only suggest what I've actually used and being an old codger, my choices seem to deviate towards the lighter end of the bass amp weight spectrum and the amps you've singled out as candidates really don't differ much in size or weight from what you currently own to merit a change at all. You need to seriously rethink!!

D.[/quote]

yeh those amps look nice!

im not gonna rush in to anything at all but the main thing is overall size, ie the heads ive named, mainly the hughes are alot louder, have aspects to them i dnt have currently, and yes they aren't that much smaller but the weights going down a bit as will the cabinet size and weight if i go to the 210's.

On eBay (£220 BIN)... Carvin amp; 500w @ 4ohm amp that can if need be do 800w @ 2ohm which gives you maximum flexibility when buying cabs (thought I'd still go for a pair of 8ohm cabs every time).

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Carvin-B800-bass-head-800-Watt_W0QQitemZ110333016997QQihZ001QQcategoryZ58719QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Carvin-B800-bass-hea...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='369966' date='Jan 4 2009, 02:44 PM']On eBay (£220 BIN)... Carvin amp; 500w @ 4ohm amp that can if need be do 800w @ 2ohm which gives you maximum flexibility when buying cabs (thought I'd still go for a pair of 8ohm cabs every time).

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Carvin-B800-bass-head-800-Watt_W0QQitemZ110333016997QQihZ001QQcategoryZ58719QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Carvin-B800-bass-hea...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url][/quote]

thanks man im looking at it now.

may work im waiting for a few ppl to get bk to me.

yeh im thinking 8 ohm cabs now the 210 h n k cabs are just weirdly confusing.

you shed any light on this "warickhunt"? you seen to at one point at least owned some hughe cabs, what the best combo, thet say that you can put the 115(8ohm) with the 210(4/16) help me out here does that give you 2 possibly loading of 8 and 3 something ohms?

Edited by 0175westwood29

[quote name='0175westwood29' post='369999' date='Jan 4 2009, 03:28 PM']thanks man im looking at it now.

may work im waiting for a few ppl to get bk to me.

yeh im thinking 8 ohm cabs now the 210 h n k cabs are just weirdly confusing.

you shed any light on this "warickhunt"? you seen to at one point at least owned some hughe cabs, what the best combo, thet say that you can put the 115(8ohm) with the 210(4/16) help me out here does that give you 2 possibly loading of 8 and 3 something ohms?[/quote]

I've owned plenty of cabs and among them H&K cabs but not this 210 with switchable ohmage, which tbh looks a bit of a dogs dinner; 4 ohms great as a stand alone rehearsal cab, 16 ohms... shyte if you are mixing it with other cabs for a gig rig! 'IF' you are going to mix those particular cabs up for a rig I reckon you're potentially going to get all sorts of odd levels from each cab due to it's ohmage and handling characteristics. It may work fine but I'd not be buying that particular set-up blind in a month of Sundays and that's before we even start getting involved in mixing your driver sizes without appropriate crossovers etc.

Whilst on the subject, the H&K 600 has the potential to split the signal and bi-amp your rig but you need a separate power amp!

Further to your choices for cabs; I'd be wary of going the route you've outlined and I personally think that even a pair of those 2x10 cabs (4/16ohms) would be a mistake, as you'd be running at 2ohms or 8 ohms using the pair. In essence you'd be running your amp at 2 ohms (H&K will do that and put out something like a stated 1010watts) which in theory is good but not the best condition to run an amp for longevity OR you'd be running at 8ohms and be getting 400w out of your H&K600... not what you wanted really!

Don't ditch the idea of a H&K amp (though there are loads of alternatives if you want 500w+ and 2 channels) but you'd be far better off looking at a pair of 8ohm cabs with a fixed speaker size in each (ie all 10's, 12's or 15's NOT some 10's 12's and/or 15's mixed). There are loads of threads on here as to why this is best and it's not to say that it can't work but I always think back to when I tried to figure out how I could EQ my amp sending a full range signal to different size drivers in separate cabinets (a 4x10 and a 1x15), when cab A could do with a bit more top end whilst cab B sounded like it needed less but cab B could do with more bottom end which cab A didn't need (does that make sense?).

Edited by warwickhunt

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='370035' date='Jan 4 2009, 04:18 PM']I've owned plenty of cabs and among them H&K cabs but not this 210 with switchable ohmage, which tbh looks a bit of a dogs dinner; 4 ohms great as a stand alone rehearsal cab, 16 ohms... shyte if you are mixing it with other cabs for a gig rig! 'IF' you are going to mix those particular cabs up for a rig I reckon you're potentially going to get all sorts of odd levels from each cab due to it's ohmage and handling characteristics. It may work fine but I'd not be buying that particular set-up blind in a month of Sundays and that's before we even start getting involved in mixing your driver sizes without appropriate crossovers etc.[/quote]

glad its not just me that thinks thats weird, be ideal if i wanted the bb400, and i dnt know why you would want a 16 ohm bass cab! very weird.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='370035' date='Jan 4 2009, 04:18 PM']Whilst on the subject, the H&K 600 has the potential to split the signal and bi-amp your rig but you need a separate power amp![/quote]

i was looking at that in the manual, good thing to have if i ever needed my rig to be huge.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='370035' date='Jan 4 2009, 04:18 PM']Further to your choices for cabs; I'd be wary of going the route you've outlined and I personally think that even a pair of those 2x10 cabs (4/16ohms) would be a mistake, as you'd be running at 2ohms or 8 ohms using the pair. In essence you'd be running your amp at 2 ohms (H&K will do that and put out something like a stated 1010watts) which in theory is good but not the best condition to run an amp for longevity OR you'd be running at 8ohms and be getting 400w out of your H&K600... not what you wanted really![/quote]

is running at 2 ohms bad for an amp?, but yeh that was my problem your either not getting the full output or killing 2 quite pricey cabs!

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='370035' date='Jan 4 2009, 04:18 PM']Don't ditch the idea of a H&K amp (though there are loads of alternatives if you want 500w+ and 2 channels)[/quote]

yeh im just digging the hughes but im aware theres a lot of others.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='370035' date='Jan 4 2009, 04:18 PM']but you'd be far better off looking at a pair of 8ohm cabs with a fixed speaker size in each (ie all 10's, 12's or 15's NOT some 10's 12's and/or 15's mixed). There are loads of threads on here as to why this is best and it's not to say that it can't work but I always think back to when I tried to figure out how I could EQ my amp sending a full range signal to different size drivers in separate cabinets (a 4x10 and a 1x15), when cab A could do with a bit more top end whilst cab B sounded like it needed less but cab B could do with more bottom end which cab A didn't need (does that make sense?).[/quote]

kinda yeh i love how the hughes cabs look, but they just wnt cut it, i think aggie do a high rms 8 ohm 210? ill have to go have a look.

our drummer has a old tracey 410 i can use for practice/gigs if it takes me a while to find some cabs.

thanks for getting bk to me man!

[quote name='0175westwood29' post='370064' date='Jan 4 2009, 04:42 PM']is running at 2 ohms bad for an amp?, but yeh that was my problem your either not getting the full output or killing 2 quite pricey cabs![/quote]

There aren't many bass amps designed to run @ 2 ohms and even the ones that can it doesn't pay to run them hard @ 2 ohms for too long (even H&K told me that when I contacted them about running my 600 @ 2 ohms). Believe me unless the amp manufacturer recommends it (which will be displayed on the rear of the amp) then you don't want to even consider plugging a pair of 4ohm cabs (2 ohm load) into 'most' amps. 'IF' your amp can do a 2ohm load, you won't necessarily kill a pair of cabs if they run your amp down to 2 ohms, even if the power handling of your cabs looks like it is exceeded by the amps output. The biggest problem with buying a pair of 4 ohm cabs around an amp that 'can/will' run @ 2 ohms is that if you ever decide to change amps or borrow someone else's amp, then their amp may not do 2 ohms (which is the load an amp would see if your cabs were 4 ohms each) and you couldn't then use your two 4 ohm cabs. I speak from bitter experience on this one! :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='370078' date='Jan 4 2009, 04:55 PM']There aren't many bass amps designed to run @ 2 ohms and even the ones that can it doesn't pay to run them hard @ 2 ohms for too long (even H&K told me that when I contacted them about running my 600 @ 2 ohms). Believe me unless the amp manufacturer recommends it (which will be displayed on the rear of the amp) then you don't want to even consider plugging a pair of 4ohm cabs (2 ohm load) into 'most' amps. 'IF' your amp can do a 2ohm load, you won't necessarily kill a pair of cabs if they run your amp down to 2 ohms, even if the power handling of your cabs looks like it is exceeded by the amps output. The biggest problem with buying a pair of 4 ohm cabs around an amp that 'can/will' run @ 2 ohms is that if you ever decide to change amps or borrow someone else's amp, then their amp may not do 2 ohms (which is the load an amp would see if your cabs were 4 ohms each) and you couldn't then use your two 4 ohm cabs. I speak from bitter experience on this one! :)[/quote]

yeh thats a thing im really not wanting to even think bout, 8 ohm cabs it is