Why become a member? ×

Spector NS5 XL water cured redwood

greyparrot

I have one of these beuts! Only 24 in the world i belive, and comes with a hand written letter from S Spector saying that. This bass is stunning, (and so is the price) but it will be a true collectors item i am sure. The deep gloss on the wood gives it an almost plastic feel to it, and the neck is finished to a standard that i have not seen in all my time playing (25 years) It seems over 100 years ago, redwood logs were floated down-stream after being cut, and one fell into the lake, and this was bought 100 years later by Spector, who had emough of the wood to make 24 basses. This one is 15. The water cured wood gives the bass no end of charm, and the sound is amazing. It is through neck, and i have to say its almost like the entire bass was made from one piece of wood. The whole thing is seemless. Strange thing is, if you google water cured redwood, the first 3 oages are only about this bass, and not the wood itself!

A copy of the email from Spector re the bass.

Rich.
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Spector Customer Service [mailto:[email protected]]
>> Sent: 17 December 2008 15:01
>> To: richard >> Subject: Re: hello
>>
>> hello -
>>
>> thanks for the email. I am glad to read about your very special Spector bass!
>>
>> yes that was a limited 24 run of water cured redwood for us. we
>> purchased that redwood log, it was under a stream for over 100 years,
>> thus the water cured part.
>>
>> we had planned on including a little letter with each of those basses
>> but did not get that done. yes I will have that letter made up for
>> you and signed by Stuart Spector, and mailed to you.

Edited by greyparrot

[quote name='Golchen' post='362553' date='Dec 24 2008, 09:26 AM']They look amazing. Actually there's one up on eBay USA at the moment with some really nice pictures.

Personally it would worry me having that expensive a bass.[/quote]

just checked out those pics...It looks amazing, shame it's a 5 stringer :)

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='362727' date='Dec 24 2008, 12:06 PM']just checked out those pics...It looks amazing, shame it's a 5 stringer :huh:[/quote]
...shame it's £3,810.72 + delivery & tax from the USA, more like.

Just think what you could have if you had a budget of £4k to give Bernie, Jon or other top luther (...goes off in a dream) :)

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='362770' date='Dec 24 2008, 01:14 PM']...shame it's £3,810.72 + delivery & tax from the USA, more like.

Just think what you could have if you had a budget of £4k to give Bernie, Jon or other top luther (...goes off in a dream) :)[/quote]

its perfect in every way! I think you also pay for the fact that the wood is so rare and their are only 24 of these babys in the world, all hand signed and dated by the man himself. I think it has to be seen in the flesh to really see why it cost's 4k.

[quote name='Golchen' post='362553' date='Dec 24 2008, 09:26 AM']They look amazing. Actually there's one up on eBay USA at the moment with some really nice pictures.

Personally it would worry me having that expensive a bass.[/quote]

very true. for pubs im looking at getting a pv bass, £140. Its also a 5 stringer, and the sound is very jazz bass like, and quite full for the price it will do the job. for weddings and funtions it will be the NS5.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='362939' date='Dec 24 2008, 04:30 PM']I still don't see any pictures of the ACTUAL bass? Or is it just me?[/quote]

You are right, but it may as well be. To be honest, i have not had time to post pics, but will do it soon. They are ones lifted off the net, but it is identical exept for different grain patterns in the wood, but it is extreamly difficult to photo with flash as its so glossy, and it needs natural daylight to get the best results. will do it soon and post it. I would say though that the 3rd pic could well be my very bass!!

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='362979' date='Dec 24 2008, 05:30 PM']Try that old CTRL+F5 business. There are three thumbnail pics in the edited OP.[/quote]
Saw them, i assumed they were official pics.

[quote name='greyparrot' post='362955' date='Dec 24 2008, 04:56 PM']You are right, but it may as well be. To be honest, i have not had time to post pics, but will do it soon. They are ones lifted off the net, but it is identical exept for different grain patterns in the wood, but it is extreamly difficult to photo with flash as its so glossy, and it needs natural daylight to get the best results. will do it soon and post it. I would say though that the 3rd pic could well be my very bass!![/quote]
Ah ok then, but no pics no bass! :)

And it might well be, with only 24 of them!

Edited by budget bassist