Why become a member? ×

What Do You Think, Band Opportunities

Bluewine

2 hours ago, Monkey Steve said:

C

4.  Brilliant ad.  Exactly what an 18 year old needs to hear, that being in a band is all about dedication, writing music and getting it released, all urgency and excitement.  And very clear about how much of the week they expect you to devote to the band.  No mention of playing live or touring though, and I wonder why it's so focused on getting songs on to a streaming platform, but that's probably something that 18 years olds understand far better than me.  I fall way outside their age range, but if I didn't I think I'd be asking for some links and seeing if I liked what they were doing (and to make sure that it wasn't a Threatin' type situation)

Call me an old grandpa , but  how reliable are most 18 year olds. When I was 18 I'd skip out on a rehearsal if I had an opportunity with a lady. At 66 I wouldn't know what an opportunity with a lady was if it slapped me in the face. Maybe kids are different now.

18-30? Wouldn't a 30 year old be ancient to an 18 year old?

I think it was 1972 when I was 18.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 1

1) I probably wouldn't be the right fit for them but sounds an interesting project. I might go and see them if they start gigging. 

2) I would certainly fit their criteria but their songlist is way too diverse and the 'summer got in the way' thing isn't promising. I might give them a ring if I was new to an area and didn't have anything better on the go. 

3) Can't really see myself in an Eagles tribute but sounds like it might be good if you like that sort of thing. 

4) Not for me, but if I had a lid then probably something they might be interested in. 

So none of the above for me, but nothing suggests that they wouldn't work for the right bass player...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stylon Pilson said:
  2. Considering that this is such a short ad, it's actually got a surprisingly decent density of information. I suppose the only vagueness is: is this a startup band that's intending to play 6 shows per year, or an established band that has played 6 shows per year in the past?

S.P.

I have a feeling this is a few older guys that like The Eagles and want to hang out.

The whole tribute market at the local level escapes me. Seems like you can only play special events or a 1 hour feature in a festival setting. You can't play a 4 hour bar gig.

Blue

5 hours ago, Stylon Pilson said:
  1. .

That's my assessment of the ads. As far as the underlying opportunities are concerned, I don't think I'd reply to any of them. I'm not interested by the music that any of them play, I'm not interested in bands that expect "100% commitment" nor a mere 6 gigs per year, and Milwaukee and Wisconsin are too far away for me to travel to for rehearsals.

S.P.

Nice assessment!

If you change your mind you can crash at my place. I'm only 20 minutes north of Milwaukee. :)

Blue

9 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

I have a feeling this is a few older guys that like The Eagles and want to hang out.

The whole tribute market at the local level escapes me. Seems like you can only play special events or a 1 hour feature in a festival setting. You can't play a 4 hour bar gig.

Blue

Hey Daryl 

As someone who has recently joined a tribute band, I think the point is that you avoid the 4 hour bar (or 2 hour pub) gigs and play less frequently as part of bigger and better shows. 

Exactly how less frequently and how much money you make depends on the act you are doing a tribute to. Personally I would want a band to run alongside to keep gigging / earning regularly. 

30 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Call me an old grandpa , but  how reliable are most 18 year olds. When I was 18 I'd skip out on a rehearsal if I had an opportunity with a lady. At 66 I wouldn't know what an opportunity with a lady was if it slapped me in the face. Maybe kids are different now.

18-30? Wouldn't a 30 year old be ancient to an 18 year old?

I think it was 1972 when I was 18.

Blue

Ah, but they aren't looking for people with a few more decades of experience of human nature who know it wouldn't end well, they are looking for 18 year olds who want to be in the next big thing, break the music biz and play the best music ever written.  The reason I think it's a good ad isn't because I want to apply, but because it hits the right tone and will get responses from exactly the people they are looking for, like minded kids.  

I tend to think that they are closer to the bottom end of their age range than the top.

18 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Dave, hopefully were proof to the young bass players on BC that this bass playing stuff goes on for a long time.

Blue

I'm still in the age range that starts with a 5 but I've never been as busy musically.  Just wish it could have happened 10 years ago.  Doesn't stop me enjoying it now though.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, martthebass said:

I'm still in the age range that starts with a 5 but I've never been as busy musically.  Just wish it could have happened 10 years ago.  Doesn't stop me enjoying it now though.

Same here, but my decade starts with a 6 now. I have never played to such enthusiastic audiences, in such good venues, with such good musicians or been as well paid as I am now. Being in a rather niche tribute band (Grateful Dead) does slightly restrict the number of gigs we play, but those that we do are real events to remember. Two years ago, I could never have dreamt I'd be playing a three night run in the main band at a German festival - but I've done that this year. It's still hard work catching up with the very experienced other guys in the band, but it's worth it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, FinnDave said:

Same here, but my decade starts with a 6 now. I have never played to such enthusiastic audiences, in such good venues, with such good musicians or been as well paid as I am now. Being in a rather niche tribute band (Grateful Dead) does slightly restrict the number of gigs we play, but those that we do are real events to remember. Two years ago, I could never have dreamt I'd be playing a three night run in the main band at a German festival - but I've done that this year. It's still hard work catching up with the very experienced other guys in the band, but it's worth it.

Funny how life works . I started playing in rock bands at age 12 in 1966. I've always been enthusiastic about playing but none of the really cool stuff happened for me until I was in my 60s.

I don't mean fame and fortune. I mean being in the right band for me, consistent gigs, good gigs and making enough money to pay my bills. ( mortage, utilities, cell, WiFi, food and maintaining a vehicle )

Everything happens in a certain order for a reason.

Blue

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Monkey Steve said:

Ah, but they aren't looking for people with a few more decades of experience of human nature who know it wouldn't end well, they are looking for 18 year olds who want to be in the next big thing, break the music biz and play the best music ever written.  The reason I think it's a good ad isn't because I want to apply, but because it hits the right tone and will get responses from exactly the people they are looking for, like minded kids.  

I tend to think that they are closer to the bottom end of their age range than the top.

The music biz has changed so much since my day. Is there still such a thing as " the next big thing"? If there Is I would say there was more of an opportunity to become "the next big thing" back in my day.

Blue

1 hour ago, peteb said:

Hey Daryl 

As someone who has recently joined a tribute band, I think the point is that you avoid the 4 hour bar (or 2 hour pub) gigs and play less frequently as part of bigger and better shows. 

Exactly how less frequently and how much money you make depends on the act you are doing a tribute to. Personally I would want a band to run alongside to keep gigging / earning regularly. 

Hi Pete,

I definitely get it. I want to stay as far as I can away from four hour bar gigs at this point.

This summer I was spoiled by 1-2 hour gigs, higher profile gigs, bigger crowds and better pay . 

BlueFB_IMG_1562272638572.jpg.4429eba14374f792248369ddde2a7277.jpg

1 hour ago, peteb said:

Hey Daryl 

Hi Pete,

I definitely get it. I want to stay as far as I can away from four hour bar gigs at this point.

This summer I was spoiled by 1-2 hour gigs, higher profile gigs, bigger crowds and better pay . 

BlueFB_IMG_1562272638572.jpg.4429eba14374f792248369ddde2a7277.jpg

Wouldn't even look at any of them.

There a limited number of people I'd be in a band with. If they're putting something together and they ask me then I'm in. Otherwise you'll find me fishing these days 😁.

My patience is quite thin with bands, so turning up to try out to 3 or 4 strangers isn't of any interest. Too many times it's been a waste of time.

8 hours ago, Marvin said:

Wouldn't even look at any of them.

There a limited number of people I'd be in a band with. If they're putting something together and they ask me then I'm in. Otherwise you'll find me fishing these days 😁.

My patience is quite thin with bands, so turning up to try out to 3 or 4 strangers isn't of any interest. Too many times it's been a waste of time.

Agreed, Most publically advertised opportunities are a waste of time.

Blue

Blue, if you're going to leave your band, do so. If you don't know what you want from your playing by now (other than money), you never will. Look for new opportunities. It's what we all do and fair play. Enjoy the journey. I've found that by being more open to things and people in the last few years has resulted in some of the best musical experiences of my life. 

1. It's a bloke on his own who wants to start an originals band which straddles sub-genres. The point where those bands overlap is basically a swamp of stodgy, re-tread 80's / 90's rock. Avoid.

2. It's a covers band. Show me the money.

3. Eagles Trib. Six (biggish?) gigs a year. Nice side project but I can't sing that high (or at all).

4. I think it's great that young people still want to be in bands. But I'm old enough to be their grandpa and I don't think they want to hear stories about how I got up one morning and made myself a piece of toast and set the toaster to three. Medium-brown.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wolverinebass said:

Blue, if you're going to leave your band, do so. If you don't know what you want from your playing by now (other than money), you never will. Look for new opportunities. It's what we all do and fair play. Enjoy the journey. I've found that by being more open to things and people in the last few years has resulted in some of the best musical experiences of my life. 

I've been in the same band for the past 8 years. No intentions on leaving.

Playing with good people is the most important part of being in a band for me. I have that and it's not easy to find. I'll take best people over best musicians any day of the week.

Blue

• Like 1

On 21/08/2019 at 17:43, Bluewine said:

Hi Pete,

Blue

The thing is that I am currently playing higher profile gigs in bigger venues (size of crowd is somewhat variable), but not making money. This is great fun and has got me noticed to the point where I have been offered a potentially bigger gig. However, whilst the money is not such a big thing for me at the moment, I am still trying to get a side project going playing pubs to get some extra cash coming in...

23 hours ago, peteb said:

The thing is that I am currently playing higher profile gigs in bigger venues (size of crowd is somewhat variable), but not making money. This is great fun and has got me noticed to the point where I have been offered a potentially bigger gig. However, whilst the money is not such a big thing for me at the moment, I am still trying to get a side project going playing pubs to get some extra cash coming in...

That definitely works Pete. I might even branch out into giving lessons.

Pete, I had a great summer, lots of fun gigs. Extra cash from gigging paid all my bills this summer and I didn't touch my pension. That's a big deal for me 

Blue

• Like 1