Why become a member? ×

wal six string

littleal

Does anyone own or have in the past played a six string wal?

The reason i ask is, i have just played a wal custom 4 string that my dad owns & i cannot believe the sound i got from it, the problem is i play a six string (warwick thumb) all the time so it would be a six that i would have to find :)

[quote name='littleal' post='360373' date='Dec 21 2008, 01:07 PM']Mmmm!! A brand new six string wal.... i wonder how much that would cost ??
i've lusted for one ever since i first saw one..[/quote]

It will be interesting to hear what the prices are. There's certainly a lot of demand.

All the pickups are essentially the same design and, (IMO), the pickup has a lot to do with the unique sound. So 6s, 5s and 4s should all have that Wal tone.

dunc

Oh god oh god oh god... nurse, my pills...
I'd give money just to see one, never mind touch it, never mind play it.

[quote name='Toasted' post='360610' date='Dec 21 2008, 11:42 PM']although a heavy bass.[/quote]
God I can imagine. My Pro II four clocks in at 10lbs+, it's like wearing a car.

[quote name='Hiperi0n' post='361157' date='Dec 22 2008, 04:23 PM']i had a couple of Wals 5 in the past...i have to say that was great basses but i always preferred 4 strings Wal...but probably because i'm mostly a 4 strings player....
never had the change to own or play a six , but too much strings anyway :)[/quote]

I'd love that, but I have a small hand, and to me the neck on that (and all 6/7 strings) looks like an ironing board.

Betcha it sounds great, though!!

:huh:

G.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='361470' date='Dec 22 2008, 04:57 PM']I was thinking that as I typed my reply, but that's what I'd read price-wise. In reality it's all idle speculation until the first new ones are finished and paid for...[/quote]

Based on demand I always wondered why Pete didn't raise prices. That might have helped him out a bit.

Over theyears I've owned both 4 & 5 string Wals and always preferred the 4 string models to the 5 string ones..

But I was lucky enough to have a play on one of the first 6 strings they ever made and it was absolutely wonderful.. To this day I don't really know why, but I much preferred the feel of the 6 string to the 5 string model.. If I had the money to buy one now, the 6 is what I'd go for..

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='361608' date='Dec 23 2008, 01:48 AM']Over theyears I've owned both 4 & 5 string Wals and always preferred the 4 string models to the 5 string ones..

But I was lucky enough to have a play on one of the first 6 strings they ever made and it was absolutely wonderful.. To this day I don't really know why, but I much preferred the feel of the 6 string to the 5 string model.. If I had the money to buy one now, the 6 is what I'd go for..[/quote]

Hi all,
I was lucky enough to swap my Midi 4 with a 6-string WAL fretless and can only recommend it. Great WAL-tone and playability. Never thought I'd stick to so much fretless playing, but the sounds are so organic, tight and warm - it's just pure pleasure. For the tougher chords and licks within the band I still use my rockhard five-string, though. Nothing compares to the WAL sound neither fretted or fretless. Period.
Cheers
Oliver

[quote name='littleal' post='384815' date='Jan 19 2009, 12:33 PM']I Had an email from paul herman & he say's he will be making 6 string wals & he was quite close to sorting out a price list :brow:
But i think he has a few back orders to do.[/quote]

That's great news! I ordered a MK II 4-string in translucent blue with a black neck and gold hardware. Let's hope the list isn't too long ...
cheers
Oliver