Why become a member? ×

Gigs, still get that feeling . .

Stofferson

I don't have any feelings of nerves, worry, dread or excitement before gigs. It's just like going to work in a job I quite enjoy and don't find to be desperately difficult. Long journeys and repetitive load in and out is a bit of a chore but I like the guys I play with, the band is well organised and everyone is committed and good at problem solving. Therefore there's rarely any insurmountable issues and we earn well from about 100 weddings a year. 

On 03/08/2019 at 09:08, knirirr said:

Agreed - even one pint can be enough to put a spanner in the works, I find.

I've been playing clean and sober for the last 35 years. For me it's been fantastic.

I like being in complete control, if my mind is altered by stimulants or alcohol I'm no longer in control.

Blue

• Like 1

in my early playing days in the 80s and 90s I'd get so nervous that I wouldn't eat all day before a gig. I'd be dry retching just before going on. This time around, I am much better prepared,love playing with my buddies and only feel a bit of nerves. I guess at 57 I am more at ease with who I am.Plus this current band is much better than any other I've been in.

I used to be almost paralysed with nerves before a gig. They're a natural, hard-wired response to a stressful situation - the ancient caveman-part of your brain pumps adrenaline around your system in order to escape or kill that sabre-toothed tiger!

The turning point for me was when I recognised that the sensation of fear before the gig was exactly the same feeling as being excited. I still feel the butterflies, but I'm able to tell myself that I'm not frightened, I'm just excited. It's got to the point now that if I didn't get that rush before a gig, I don't think that I'd enjoy it - for me now, it's all about chasing that buzz that makes me realise that I'm alive.  

6 minutes ago, MrDaveTheBass said:

I used to be almost paralysed with nerves before a gig. They're a natural, hard-wired response to a stressful situation - the ancient caveman-part of your brain pumps adrenaline around your system in order to escape or kill that sabre-toothed tiger!

The turning point for me was when I recognised that the sensation of fear before the gig was exactly the same feeling as being excited. I still feel the butterflies, but I'm able to tell myself that I'm not frightened, I'm just excited. It's got to the point now that if I didn't get that rush before a gig, I don't think that I'd enjoy it - for me now, it's all about chasing that buzz that makes me realise that I'm alive.  

This is the thing I guess. In my case, there is no such thing really as “positive excitement” in any situation. In fact I can’t remember there ever being. Even butterflies are, to me, horrible. I just experience any adrenaline rush at all as highly unpleasant. A buzz is the last thing I’m ever chasing. Again, maybe this is linked to my ptsd, I don’t know. What I do know is that if I’m not relaxed, I’m not happy. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 4000 said:

This is the thing I guess. In my case, there is no such thing really as “positive excitement” in any situation. In fact I can’t remember there ever being. Even butterflies are, to me, horrible. I just experience any adrenaline rush at all as highly unpleasant. A buzz is the last thing I’m ever chasing. Again, maybe this is linked to my ptsd, I don’t know. What I do know is that if I’m not relaxed, I’m not happy. 

Re-reading my post, I sound like I'm an adrenaline junkie, but that's the last thing that I'd describe myself as. Just like you, my happiest state is one where I'm completely relaxed. It's weird though, but without the fear/excitement beforehand, I can't seem to reach the cosmic nirvana in the middle of the gig when everyone's playing perfectly together and the crowd are dancing and singing along. I guess that the pleasurable release of tension is only possible from being tense in the first place (ooer missus!).

I'll have a pint before/during the first set, and another in the second. It won't be Turbo Nutter B*stard Lager, it'll be a low-alcohol mild or bitter, but it's just a nice zoning thing for me. I don't drink much; actually, if it weren't for gigging, I'd rarely drink at all...

3 hours ago, Muzz said:

I'll have a pint before/during the first set, and another in the second. It won't be Turbo Nutter B*stard Lager, it'll be a low-alcohol mild or bitter, but it's just a nice zoning thing for me. I don't drink much; actually, if it weren't for gigging, I'd rarely drink at all...

I have a few different habits. So long as I'm not driving. 

Playing a new venue I might not drink. If I do it'll be one early, like soundcheck early. If all's going well or not so well I'd maybe have one at half time. I'm a bit more free and easy with it once I've played somewhere a few times. 

There's a local venue we play (which happens to be the only place we play unticketed and free) where I get a taxi there and back and they've got a good bar. I've been playing there twice a year for about 10 years and I'm VERY free and easy there :)

Just goes to show that we're all wired differently

I'm of the "as long as I know what I'm playing I'm fine" school, in fact I can't wait to get on stage and play, and would much rather do that than hang around backstage for hours. 

But I recently did a gig where (long story short) before the two bands played there was a bit of a karaoke thing with people being asked to get up and play songs they know, and as one of only two bass players in the room I was being leaned on to get up and play songs that I didn't know very well or hadn't played before.  I played the one song that I had played before (and was dead simple) and refused to play any others because going on stage when I'm not confident that I can play the songs properly makes me really uncomfortable.

Somebody likened it to getting up and speaking in front of large groups, which is something that I sometimes have to do for work, and I'm the same - as long as I've prepared and know what I'm going to be saying I'm absolutely fine. 

I've done a personality assessment which shows that I'm border line between an introvert and extrovert (I exhibit traits for both) which makes sense to me: I'm not a "look at me!!" show off at all, like singers or lead guitarists, but as long as i know what I'm doing I'm pretty confident

I'm also pretty good with a few pints inside me, and tend to find that (for me) there's a relaxation sweet spot after about four or five pints.

One anecdote...an old band of mine supported Edward Tudor-Pole a few years ago.  Really nice bloke, and puts on a brilliantly energetic show.  And tours a lot.  But before he went on, one of my lot bumped into him back stage and he was sh#tting himself (not literally).

What are you worried about, you'll be fine, they're all here to see you, and you must do loads of these shows?

"yeah, but you're only as good as your last performance".  Genuinely worried about messing up and what if anything went wrong

Needless to say he was brilliant

• Like 1