Why become a member? Ɨ

Bugera 1960 SOLD
Ā£220
PE28 0LF

Pentode

5 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Quite scary how much I want this when I already have one all tube head I can't lift and one I just got in a trade.Ā 

Something horribly wrong with meĀ 

Itā€™sĀ a curse that strikes many of us šŸ˜

3 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Is there someone we can go and see?Ā 

You could have a word with yourself, but in that time somebody else might buy the thing... it does look very nice... šŸ˜€

Edited by Ricky 4000
  • Like 1

Tell ya what, I'll buy it and do you feckers a favour. How's that sound? šŸ˜‰

I've been ummin' and ahhin' about one of these for years. I've got an ill advised 4x12, I need an I'll advised 100w valve amp in my life!

PM on the way...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Probably that's only me being ignorant, so sorry for the question but: is this sold here as a bass head? Or is it sold as a guitar head and plugging a bass in would just not produce any good result?

5 hours ago, stewblack said:

I ought to be relieved...Ā 

Sorry Stew! I had to jump at the chance!

Ā 

1 hour ago, Sumatra said:

Probably that's only me being ignorant, so sorry for the question but: is this sold here as a bass head? Or is it sold as a guitar head and plugging a bass in would just not produce any good result?

These days, this kind of thing is considered a guitar amp, but in the 60's and 70's they were all pretty much the same. I've always fancied a Marshall Super Bass, and being based on a Super Lead, this is close enough!

In the broadest sense, you won't get a 'good' result for bass, as the frequency response isn't as broad as modern amps, there is a bit of a mid-range bias to the tone, low headroom, and limited EQ. However, they have a distinctive voice and way of breaking up when pushed which really can be glorious. There are gigs I certainly wouldn't use it for- the modern pop with deep, smooth lows likely wouldn't work well at all- but more old-school sounds can be great. I'll try it for a soul and funk band tomorrow if all goes to plan, and it will definitely be good for classic rock and so forth.

How usable it will be in various situations will depend how much the signal breaks up at gig volumes, but those old amps tend to be remarkably loud (as is my old fashioned 4x12, also not good by modern standards, but fantastic in it's own way).

I can emulate just about every element in the sounds I'm talking about in much more convenient packages, but there is something about having the real deal cooking away behind you, and having to work within the limits it imposes on you. In particular I look forward to using this one loud with the Thunderbird or Ric 4003!

Edited by Jus Lukin