Why become a member? ×

REALLY STUPID QUESTION

BassMunkee

[quote name='Jesus' post='356259' date='Dec 16 2008, 06:24 PM']And dont do what i did and leave it plugged into the amp. It seems to drain the battery.[/quote]

Actually - don't leave a jack in the bass, whether or not connected to the amp. It will drain the battery, so unplug when your not playing.

On my basses, the sound does distort as Budget Bassist says, before the battery goes completely dead.

It is surprising that more basses don't have some sort of battery life indicator. The Audere pre-amp on my old Jazz had one, but I've never seen another.

Edited by simon1964

Some basses have a default (either a push pull knob or a switch) to turn on/off the pre-amp.
G & L L2000/2500 do - so if the battery runs flat you can switch to passive and it still rumbles.
The Stingray doesn't so if the battery runs flat you get no sound. There's usually fair warning of this - the sound starts to distort.
I guess different basses are more efficient with battery life; my Ray(s) generally had 12 months+ with weekly use, wheras an old Westone Thunder 3 I had was dead with the same use in less than 2 months.
Always take the jack plug out of the socket when not using it - this drains the battery. No jack plug - no draining.

Edited by martthebass

[quote name='martthebass' post='356267' date='Dec 16 2008, 06:30 PM']Some basses have a default (either a push pull knob or a switch) to turn on/off the pre-amp.
G & L L2000/2500 do - so if the battery runs flat you can switch to passive and it still rumbles.
The Stingray doesn't so if the battery runs flat you get no sound. There's usually fair warning of this - the sound starts to distort.
I guess different basses are more efficient with battery life; my Ray(s) generally had 12 months+ with weekly use, wheras an old Westone Thunder 3 I had was dead with the same use in less than 2 months.
Always take the jack plug out of the socket when not using it - this drains the battery. No jack plug - no draining.[/quote]

My Aria Pro II worked both active and passively at the flick of a switch which was handy when i did aforementioned leaving the bass plugged in. Are there many active/passive basses on the market?

Unless you're rather cunning with how you implement it then the extra current draw of a battery status LED just ends up killing your battery a lot more quickly. The GB and Audere solutions are cunning but you pay for the privilege!

Alkaline batteries die quite slowly so your first sign that they need changing will be when you hear a bit of distortion on the attack of particularly loud notes, especially with the EQ boosted. The same happens with FX pedals, whch was used to great effect by Flea when recording Sir Psycho Sexy - Mu-Tron with dying battery giving a lovely dirty squelch.

Alex