Left leaderboard

Hi,

I am looking at replacing my Aguilar Octamiser as I don’t use it that much and looking to get an octave pedal that’s a bit more adventurous. 

The EarthQuaker devices bit commander looked really fun and wondered if anyone had some experiences with it? I wanted to ask how good it is as a stand alone octave pedal especially in the tracking department as that is where I felt the Aguilar wasn’t very good. I also wanted to ask how crazy the synth function can be, to experiment with.

Any experiences with the pedal or any other options for octaves pedals with extra functions would be great.

Thanks for reading this.

Rick

The placement of the octaver in the effects chain plays some role in the tracking performance. Some say that a compressor in front of the octaver helps the tracking. Some like bridge pickup, some playing with the tone settings of the bass. There are lots of other comments, too, so a short study might be reasonable before buying a new one.

If in need for a synth, check this video: https://ironether.com/pedals/fmeron/

• Thanks 1

The Bit Commander seems to be analog like the Octamiser so tracking may not be better.

TC Sub N UP is digital and could have that extra you're looking for because you could change functions with the Toneprint software.

I prefer the sound of analog octaver but they're not very easy to use.

• Thanks 1

I agree with Itu, placement in the chain is key.

I tend to run mine after a compressor as it evens out the attack and volume so the octave can see an uniform input.

I have several octave pedals, including the Aguilar, and it is not one of my favourites unfortunately.

I love the EBS Octabass as it gives a very clean analog octave and tracks pretty well in my setup.

Another cool one is the classic Boss OC-2 which I use for more synth/electronica things due to its dirtier sound.

For me, the best synth approach with a bass is to create a modular system with and octaver, dirt and some filtering and/or modulation option.

John Davis from Jojo Mayer's NERVE is amazing at creating synth sounds with his J-Bass. Cool cat to listen/watch.

• Thanks 1

Thanks so much for the advice guys. I will definitely try to get a bit more out of the Aguilar before writing it off. I do run it behind an mxr compressor but will try a few different settings.

i still want to see if there are other options to combine synth modulation and octaves in one pedal as I don’t use the octave a lot, but that is probably my own failure to get the best out of my current setup. 

Thanks again for all the advice 

The Aguilar is really sensitive to how you play. I remember having similar tracking issues starting out with it and thought maybe it was defective. I contacted Aguilar support and they explained that technique is everything for that pedal to track properly. So on the plus side, it definitely can force you to start correcting bad habits in your technique. The advice to place it after a compressor is really good as well since it will keep the signal to the octamizer more consistent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

Wait for the new Source Audio C4 if you can. It may well have all the octave/dirt/filter/synth capabilities you can dream of!

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/source-audio-spectrum-inteligent-filter.1385756/

Wow, that pedal looks awesome that’s moved into the I want pike. Thanks for the recommendation. Hopefully it will come out soon 

23 hours ago, Bassic_Science said:

The Aguilar is really sensitive to how you play. I remember having similar tracking issues starting out with it and thought maybe it was defective. I contacted Aguilar support and they explained that technique is everything for that pedal to track properly. So on the plus side, it definitely can force you to start correcting bad habits in your technique. The advice to place it after a compressor is really good as well since it will keep the signal to the octamizer more consistent.

Thanks for this, I am still trying it a few ways and I agree with you that I need to sort out my technique and change compression settings to get the best from it

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rick05 said:

Thanks for this, I am still trying it a few ways and I agree with you that I need to sort out my technique and change compression settings to get the best from it

Not sure if you have tried this, but rolling down the tone know helps most of the time as the pedal does not see the high frequency harmonics and overtones that new strings can produce, giving you better tracking.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Byo said:

Not sure if you have tried this, but rolling down the tone know helps most of the time as the pedal does not see the high frequency harmonics and overtones that new strings can produce, giving you better tracking.

Thanks, I’ll give that a go too and see how it sounds

1 hour ago, Byo said:

+1. If you have both bridge and neck pickups, it is recommanded to cut the bridge one. Analog octavers also like fretless necks (less noise) and flatwound strings (less high frequencies).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Helbass said:

+1. If you have both bridge and neck pickups, it is recommanded to cut the bridge one. Analog octavers also like fretless necks (less noise) and flatwound strings (less high frequencies).

Might be time to bring the fretless back into frequent rotation, been waiting for an excuse 

The Godlyke Great Divide has always sounded good to me but very hard to find.

On 23/05/2019 at 09:29, dannybuoy said:

Wait for the new Source Audio C4 if you can. It may well have all the octave/dirt/filter/synth capabilities you can dream of!

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/source-audio-spectrum-inteligent-filter.1385756/

Well, you've just cost me £300 or so! Had no idea about this pedal, it looks like a FI killer!

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Kev said:

Well, you've just cost me £300 or so! Had no idea about this pedal, it looks like a FI killer!

Me too

On 24/05/2019 at 15:53, Japhet said:

The Godlyke Great Divide has always sounded good to me but very hard to find.

Looks cool but a bit pricey for what I need 

On 10/05/2019 at 08:27, itu said:

The placement of the octaver in the effects chain plays some role in the tracking performance. Some say that a compressor in front of the octaver helps the tracking.

I used to run my compressor  everything, including my OC2, but I've just started running the compressor after it as the OC2 can be quite quiet, so the compressor helps bring it up to the same volume as my clean tone.  Something to consider for anyone else having a similar issue with the OC2. 

On 26/05/2019 at 01:29, Kev said:

Not really an FI killer; it’ll do some things that FI won’t do: FM synthesis (thanks to Roger for taking my suggestion on board),  arpeggiator and sequencer, it’ll still have multiple filters/phasers. The FI v3 update adds a 4-slot modulation matrix with which you can route a choice of many sources to almost any parameter, full ADSR envelopes and the C4 can’t do that. I own an FI and will be getting a C4 as soon as it’s released. 

Posted (edited)

Is the SA C4 also monophonic synth (as with the FI and Helix Stomp)? 

Be obviously interesting to see how good it is at tracking, but if @Quatschmacher is getting one immediately following release we shouldn't have too long to find out how it stacks up against the FI. 

I'm going to be so bold as to suggest that tight tracking is perhaps the single most important feature to having an 'usable' synth. 

My understanding is that a polysynth, as well as allowing chordal synth patterns, will be better at tracking because it won't glitch so easily if any notes are e.g. deliberately overlapped or octave notes played together. 

Wondering if the Mooer GE300 is currently the only polysynth option?

Edited by Al Krow

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Is the SA C4 also monophonic synth (as with the FI and Helix Stomp)? 

Be obviously interesting to see how good it is at tracking, but if @Quatschmacher is getting one immediately following release we shouldn't have too long to find out how it stacks up against the FI. 

I'm going to be so bold as to suggest that tight tracking is perhaps the single most important feature to having an 'usable' synth. 

My understanding is that a polysynth, as well as allowing chordal synth patterns, will be better at tracking because it won't glitch so easily if any notes are e.g. deliberately overlapped or octave notes played together. 

Wondering if the Mooer GE300 is currently the only polysynth option?

C4 is primarily monophonic but does have some polyphonic capabilities.

There’s an option to specify the highest and lowest note tracked so that may give some improvement as it’ll be only looking in that range.

Not sure if poly will improve tracking. Sometimes there’s a bit more latency as it’s having to deal with more information when tracking multiple notes. You might find that string bumps still produce unwanted glitching in addition to the mono note you’re playing.

There might be others who can compare sooner as it sounds like SA will be releasing some hand-made casings as there’s been a hold-up with the factory casings. I’m waiting for the proper production one as it looks nicer. I have plenty to keep me busy until then.

If I can sort some desk space such that I can get wires into my audio interface then I’ll get some more clips up of the v3 FI patches I’ve made so far to whet your appetites.

edit - I’ve posted another rough (iPhone in front of speaker) recording of some patches. 

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Quatschmacher
      At the behest of @Al Krow I’m going to start a page which should hopefully serve as a helpful resource for understanding and using the FI and for sharing patches. For the moment, I’ll include an explanation of some of the features in the editor, which I wrote as a PM to @GisserD, I’ll add to this in due course. There is a new editor due out after April so I’ll amend once I’ve had chance to familiarise myself with its enhanced features.
      If anyone would like me to explain a particular feature then please comment and I’ll do my best to add it below as quickly as possible.
      I’ll also include a link to patches I’ve created and will add to this as I create new ones.
      Likewise, if you have useful tips or patches to share then please do!
      Please give me a “like” or comment if you’ve found this useful. It’ll encourage me to do more!
      Thanks.
      In the VCF/MODULATION section, “Freq Vintage” is the cutoff of the original Deep Impact filter (with its imperfect scaling). “Freq New” is the cutoff of the new, perfectly-scaled FI filter. You can only engage either one or the other. Switching has to be done by the Vintage one though. Set its slider to “off” and it will engage the New one; turn it up and it disables the new one.
      After reading the manual again, it appears that the number that “freq new” is set to corresponds to the MIDI note number of the same value. That is to say, each increase of 1 corresponds to a semitone. Note 36 (min) is C (65.4Hz), note 122 (max) is D (9397.27Hz).
      ”Freq 2nd” is the cutoff off a second (bandpass) filter running in parallel. Turning its slider up engages it.  You can then space the two filters to create dual-peak, vocal formant- type sounds. An increment increase of 1 provides a one-semitone offset from the main filter. Oddly, this second filter still reacts to envelopes and LFO even if you turn off the main filter with the dial in the top right of the screen. This can yield some interesting results.
       In the VCF/ENVELOPE section, “attack” sets how quickly the filter(s) open(s) from cutoff to maximum. “Decay” sets how quickly the filter(s) close(s) from maximum back to the cutoff point.
      Back to the VCF/MODULATION section, “AD” sets how much the VCF AD envelope will affect the filter cutoff - higher values will open the filter further. “Env. Follower” sets how much your plucking dynamics (bass’s volume envelope) will affect the filter cutoff - again higher values cause the filter to open further.
      You need to be judicious in balancing the “AD” and “Env. follower” sliders in the above section. If you want a regular, always-the-same-shape, keyboard-style envelope then only use the AD slider. Adding too much of the envelope follower can override the shape of the AD envelope you’ve chosen. A bass’s volume envelope has a reasonably quick rise to maximum and then a longish decay as the note dies out. If you’re trying to program a slow upward filter sweep on the AD, the envelope follower will swamp that. Likewise, if you’re trying to program a very snappy decay on the AD (like acid-type bass sounds), the long decay of the bass’s volume envelope will ruin that if you apply too much envelope follower.
      “Resonance” controls how much a portion of the signal is fed back into the filter. This boosts the frequencies around the selected cutoff point, thus creating a resonant peak.
      Turning the resonance to maximum on 24dB mode will cause the filter to self-oscillate, yielding a pure sine wave oscillator. When using a bass guitar, you’ll need to have “bass” turned up in the VCF INPUT section (it needs a trigger and pitch reference). It probably works better when plugging in a keyboard instead as you’ll probably be able to hear just the sine wave. It doesn’t seem to behave at all like it does on analogue synths - changing the cutoff didn’t really enable me to tune it very well. Weirdly it seems to be best in tune when the “freq. vintage” was set to 0. After reading the manual it looks like the new filter will behave correctly (see above under explanation of “freq new”). I’ll have another go and update this page accordingly.
      The “Slope” knob switches between a 2-pole (12dB per octave) slope and 4-pole (24dB per octave) slope. The latter cuts off the higher frequencies above the cutoff point more rapidly than the former.
      LFO can be used to control the filter, either on its own or in conjunction with the envelope(s). (LFO can also be used to modulate the oscillators’ pitch.) I like that it has a delay slider too so that the LFO fades in over time. I’ve used that on one of the patches I shared. The LFO can be controlled by MIDI CC #1 and so a foot pedal can be used to bring modulation in and out as desired.
      What is really cool is that the noise has its own AD envelope (next to the VCF AD envelope sliders). This means you can program a short burst of noise to create a percussive attack even when you’ve programmed a long decaying filter sweep. (Normally noise just goes through the same filter as the other sources so that if you program a long decaying filter sweep, you can hear the noise all the way through. On the FI, you can get the noise to just be present right at the moment of attack and quickly disappear, or conversely, have it silent at the start and then slowly fade in.)
      I’ve finally figured out how the harmoniser section works! It’s part of the distortion circuit. You need to turn up the “distortion” slider in the INPUT section and (at least one of) the voices in the MIXER section (next to HARMONIZER) in order to hear it.
      One oddity I’ve found with the FI is as follows: if you’ve edited and saved any of your patch parameters on the actual pedal and you subsequently load new patches into those slots, then the new patches will take on those tweaked values.
      If that’s not clear what I mean: on the pedal a parameter setting of 5 is the default, i.e. if all parameters are set to 5, the patch will sound exactly like it did when you created it in the editor. Say you make an edit to a patch on the pedal and set its resonance to 9 and save the change by clicking the edit knob; when you load a new patch into that slot, its resonance will be set to 9 also.
      I realised this quirk when my first patch sounded nothing like it should have sounded. Luckily, setting each parameter back to 5 sorts it out. You can do this for all patches at once from one of the power-on menu settings.
      Here’s a little pointer that is an answer to a query about how to actually load patches on to the pedal. I know a few people have struggled with this. This is a cut and paste of a reply I wrote on TB:
      You need to find out which patches you want to load onto the pedal and which slot number in the pedal you want to have it.

If you just want to replace one individual patch with another then first find a patch on the pedal that you want to overwrite. Then find the file on your PC of the patch you wish to write to the pedal. Rename this file so that it starts with the two-digit prefix of the slot into which you wish to load it. Open the renamed file again via the editor then click “write single file to pedal” and it will get loaded into that slot.

If you want to load multiple files at once onto the pedal then it’s best to create a folder, copy in the PC files you want to load onto the pedal. Then rename each file with the slot numbers you want them to go, choose that folder via the editor then click “write all”. Any blanks will be skipped over and left untouched in the pedal.

I’ve gone a step further and have all patches I like in one folder (unnumbered). I then have a different folder into which I placed the 99 patches I want on my pedal at any given time and I number these with the two-digit prefix and write these all at once. If ever I swap any out, I delete the old file from this folder, add the new file and number it and then write all again.

Or you could simply have one big folder with all patches you like and then just number the 99 that you want and click write all. Any unnumbered patches will be ignored in the write process.
      https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1C7ZYqsyXkyNuasuuwLrQlICboSsGfXMp

TB shared patches (including mine):
      https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zto20lpne0dnent/AAC6W_8BHeYLrBTjkcoJBzCza?dl=0

Two great pedals. Due to a change in set up I don't need them anymore. I have had them for about 4 years but they haven't been over used. The Octamizer is a really great Octave effect to reach deep lows with effective tracking as well as offering synth like sounds, and the Filter Twin can produce some classic funky sounds.
      I can also sell them individually.
      My feedback is here https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/298215-feedback-for-darylclayton/?tab=comments#comment-3211013
      Thanks

• By [email protected]
      For sale, hardly used as I have a separate pedal board I use 90% of the time. Comes with velcro on the bottom to easily mount on a board, power supply and manual included in the original box.
      Can ship at extra cost.
      Message me with any questions.

Here's the info from the web about the pedal:
      The Tech 21 Bass Fly-Rig is a compact Multi-effects Bass Pedal. It is a highly professional unit armed with analog tones which embodies an entire multi-application rig, so you have everything you need in one sleek, compact unit. It is an expressive combination of effects you can use for any performance, and even includes a chromatic tuner. With an XLR output, you can quickly set up without the stress of having multiple pedals.
      Key Features
      Rugged, All-Metal Housing with XLR Output with Ground Connect Chromatic Tuner with Footswitch Operation Switchable Pre/Post Boost for Extra Drive and Distortion 3 Band Active EQ Provides Professional Tweakability for Any Event Achieve Distortion, Fuzz, Gain, and Overdrive

• By ash
      YHere is my Mantra bass filter, it sounds great and is very flexible with lots of variation and two programmable user presets. It’s in excellent condition with psu, box and manual. I’m not using it as much as I intended to and tend to stick with my EH Bassballs as it’s a bit more straightforward to use live. 
      Can post for a fiver uk only. 

• By Woodinblack
      So, in the general scheme of mentioning some new effect pedal which @Al Krow will eventually go out and buy, use, be impressed by, get fed up with and then sell before I get round to trying it, has anyone tried the new Boss SY-1 on the bass?
      I was thinking of getting either a VB-99 or a SY-300 or even I guess a Future impact, but this is cheaper than all of those and in the (obviously officially processed) videos sounds quite interesting. Certainly a lot less space than all the other effects, and I am sure I could probably find some space to fit it on a pedal board.