Left leaderboard
Soledad

Anyone using an SWR Workingman's 10 or 12?

Would be interested to hear how you got on with the Genz Benz??

My main amp is a GB Streamliner 900 and it is absolutely The Nuts.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mangotango said:

My main amp is a GB Streamliner 900

I came very close to getting a 900 a few months ago... it may even still be here. I mean, what would I do with 900W. Like giving Butthead a chainsaw  :)

Anyway, got it back. All pretty clean. QC dated Sept 2005. Had the head out and grill off. Bass drivers both excellent, smooth and clean. Amp a bit dusty inside so cleaned fan and vac-ed dust out. Had 2 crackly pots so that's mainly why the head came out - lubed the pots, seems OK now.

Early days - its flat sound is really good. Harder then my Aguilar through a TC 212, probably to be expected but just generally a more forward 'present' sound. Partly that's the 10s at work. But then a really rich depth if you lift the bass or select the low boost - one of 3 pre-sets: low, mid scoop, 'signal attack' which seems to boost high mids and lower top plus adds drive... that's how it sounds anyway.
Excellent sound straight off with the P + EB flats; good with the Jazz + rounds but more exploring to do. Not quite there with fretless + La Bella white nylons - just need to play more with the mids I think.

Missing (if it really matters): no mute on front; DI is pre only (no big deal I think). I'll get used to no mute but would have been handy.
Good bits: 2 x 10 and horn. Can switch fan off at low levels - good for a 'pro' combo. The usual tuner out, effects in/out. Don't get the dual output - can switch from 2 x 100W to a bridged 200 (into 8 ohm) but not clear why. 2 x big handles and generally built like a brick. Has a tilt foot to angle back. Got a nice big Genz Benz logo on the front - call me shallow.

Ordered a jack to speakon to add a second cab, just to see how it sounds. But overall very pleased. Like the Aguilar, I've found everything flat is very close to the sound, and mainly adjusting the mids a little is all I need.

If anyone has one of these M heads or combos and better understands the point of dual output, I'd like to know.

• Like 1

looks a nice amp,i have a Workingmans 12 not a bad little amp.

IMG_20190301_190900.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, stu_g said:

i have a Workingmans 12

If one had come up close by and for sensible money I'd probably have got one. According to the Americans, the Workingmans is preferred to the later (current?) Working Pro. Look how compact it is! MY GB is considerably bigger, but I can lift it into my pick-up... it's basically a bag of cement so a fair lift but OK. Anyway, that's me done on amps for a while.
Nice EB3 (maybe they call them something else now), I owned a Gibson variant years ago but used to fight it for sound - bags of character and very cool looking.

14 hours ago, Soledad said:

I came very close to getting a 900 a few months ago... it may even still be here. I mean, what would I do with 900W. Like giving Butthead a chainsaw 

Got a nice big Genz Benz logo on the front - call me shallow.

I've never even had it above 9 o'clock on the Master. More headroom than any sane person could sanely want. For my Small/Jazz Rig, I use it into a BF Compact 110. Never needed to turn it up, but have gigged successfully with that set-up, including playing outdoors with a big band comprising many horn players. The Bigger Rig pairs it with a GB 2 x 12 and sounds awesome. As much heft as I'll ever need, and in fact probably a great deal more.

Congrats on your acquisition; and yes of course, a Big Logo...nothing shallow about that. :lol: