Why become a member? ×

Bolin NS 5

Owen

If you are a regular reader then you will recognise my love/not sure relationship with this bass. I have already traded it and traded it back once. It has a set of Piezo pick ups which frankly speak with the voice of thunder, with a really open bottom end and a sound that sits extremely well acoustic instruments nice and full, but without the thud of a magnetic pick up. The magnetic pick up covers that end of it. However I am a Jazz bass bloke and try as I might I cannot get with the pick-up placement for wedging my thumb onto it. This is a personal foible and no reflection on the instrument, I am just to old to change my ways so I shall plumb some piezos and a decent buffering pre-amp into another bass.

The pics speak for themselves but they do not tell you that it only weighs 7.6 pounds. It comes with the original HSC and the controls are (EMG) magnetic pick up Vol/BassTreble/Mid with mid sweep and then there is a seperate Piezo volume and tone control. Sperzel locking machine heads.

Let's face it, it is fitter than a fit thing and you need it.

[attachment=16955:Bolin007.jpg]
[attachment=16954:Bolin003.jpg]

£740 + Carriage. Firm.

Not looking for trades, I have already bought the next bass. You know how it is.

Edited by owen

Nooooo!

As a former owner of this bass I have to say the piezo sound is truly phenomenal. 'IF' I were a 5 string player I'd never have let this bass go (I still retain the 4 string version). John Bolin builds basses and guitars for some of the worlds top musos and you can not get a production version of this bass anymore; you'd have to pay serious money for a custom Bolin bass.

This is one of the few 5's I've ever been comfortable on... I'm still in two minds as to whether to get this back or get an alternative 4 string. Hngh! :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='348230' date='Dec 7 2008, 11:36 PM']This is one of the few 5's I've ever been comfortable on... I'm still in two minds as to whether to get this back or get an alternative 4 string. Hngh! :)[/quote]

Look deeply into my eyes........................................

I got this Bolin from owen and traded it back with him after a while (owen was missing the Bolin just like I was with the spector euro I part ex'd against it) Its probably the poshest bass I ever owned, sounds stellar imo, the piezo was such a great tone.

good luck with the sale!

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='353561' date='Dec 13 2008, 02:00 PM']Obviously I've had it :) BUT I don't 'think' that eubassix has even though Josh said that he did![/quote]

I DID have one of these ages ago - same specs/colour (you can get various options including 2x magnetic p/up in addition to the piezo / and various colour options - although IMHO this is the best).
If there's some slight marking/wear below the rear 'hook' (extension for strap/balance) then it's possibly mine (well, formerly mine).
There is (was) also a superb Bolin fitted hardcase (traditional, tolex type but with interior fitted for this bass specifically) with 'Bolin' logo.
Superb instrument!.. can only agree with what's been stated thus far (except that I do like the headstock concept) - I really enjoyed playing it but didn't really find a 'working' use for it.

[quote name='eubassix' post='354555' date='Dec 14 2008, 08:31 PM']I DID have one of these ages ago - same specs/colour (you can get various options including 2x magnetic p/up in addition to the piezo / and various colour options - although IMHO this is the best).
If there's some slight marking/wear below the rear 'hook' (extension for strap/balance) then it's possibly mine (well, formerly mine).
There is (was) also a superb Bolin fitted hardcase (traditional, tolex type but with interior fitted for this bass specifically) with 'Bolin' logo.
Superb instrument!.. can only agree with what's been stated thus far (except that I do like the headstock concept) - I really enjoyed playing it but didn't really find a 'working' use for it.[/quote]

This does have that bit of wear described... am I going completely senile, did I buy this off you Dave or did you have it prior to my receiving it. I'm certain that I got it off eBay!

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='354604' date='Dec 14 2008, 09:41 PM']... am I going completely senile, did I buy this off you Dave or did you have it prior to my receiving it. I'm certain that I got it off eBay![/quote]

No more than me, I'm sure .. (LOL) .. 'cos I can't recall either !
I do recall talking with you about the bass but don't think you bought it from me - maybe somebody within the chain-of-purchase/owners will recall more clearly.

Thanks Ady! .. thank goodness somebody has a decent memory: there you go John, if Oct. 07 sounds about right then you would have bought it from Ady/ebay.

+1 on Ady's comments on the lightness/0-dead spots (in addition to what's been said before).
Remains an excellent & uncommon bass .. at a very good price.

[quote name='eubassix' post='355130' date='Dec 15 2008, 03:39 PM']Thanks Ady! .. thank goodness somebody has a decent memory: there you go John, if Oct. 07 sounds about right then you would have bought it from Ady/ebay.

+1 on Ady's comments on the lightness/0-dead spots (in addition to what's been said before).
Remains an excellent & uncommon bass .. at a very good price.[/quote]

Phew... thought I was having a senior moment. :)

Yep it looks like those dates would tie-in nicely. If those dates are correct why the heck did I get it off ebay and not direct from Ady?

Never mind, another bump for a cracking bass.

[quote name='ieuanmacey' post='356988' date='Dec 17 2008, 02:30 PM']A cracking looking bass - this may prompt some disgust elsewhere but how do you reckon it would be with it's frets pulled out? :)

I'd get it done properly! :huh:

Ieuan[/quote]

Ummmmmm........... I guess that it would work well. It is light and resonant and the Piezos certainly sound finer than a fine thing. I could get the pliers out tonight!

• 3 weeks later...