Why become a member? ×

Something strange and unexpected has happened....

Beedster

[attachment=16951:CIMG0261.JPG]

Yep, I have a Jazz Bass that I like. In fact, I love it. I bought it a few weeks back because, TBH, I fell in love with the way it looked and felt (although on a more serious note, I was also feeling the need to extend my fretless sounds beyond the maple fretless Precision that until now has been my mainstay). Anyway, it's a '73, natural finish with bound rosewood neck, and not only is it a dream to play (although the neck is A-width it's quite deep and solid feeling), but it has growl and thump in just the right measure, something I've not come across in the same bass before. It also seems a whole lot easier to play in tune that my fretless Precision?
So, after four years of negativity, I am no longer poorly disposed to Jazz Basses :)
Chris

It will all end in tears by the end of the week when a Prosebass Fretless Precision with a natural body and Ebanol neck hits the scene..... :)

Nice bass Chris , I have always liked the look of the bound fret-boards. All you need do next is post a youtube vid of you playing "Havona" on it.....

Edited by Prosebass

[quote name='Beedster' post='348085' date='Dec 7 2008, 08:05 PM'][attachment=16951:CIMG0261.JPG]

Yep, I have a Jazz Bass that I like. In fact, I love it. I bought it a few weeks back because, TBH, I fell in love with the way it looked and felt (although on a more serious note, I was also feeling the need to extend my fretless sounds beyond the maple fretless Precision that until now has been my mainstay). Anyway, it's a '73, natural finish with bound rosewood neck, and not only is it a dream to play (although the neck is A-width it's quite deep and solid feeling), but it has growl and thump in just the right measure, something I've not come across in the same bass before. It also seems a whole lot easier to play in tune that my fretless Precision?
So, after four years of negativity, I am no longer poorly disposed to Jazz Basses :)
Chris[/quote]
But it looks so awful Chris, which is why you should give it to me.... :huh:

P.S. you have been assimilated at last!

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='348120' date='Dec 7 2008, 09:10 PM']Nice!

So.. the burning question. Was it an [i]extremely extremely [/i]rare custom order fretless, or an incredibly well-done conversion?[/quote]

I doubt anyone would really be able to say with any authority, but if I had to put money on it I'd say the former - I've seen some good conversions and can pretty much always see a modification from some angle. Factory (i.e., non custom-order) bound-neck fretless Jazzes - and apparently even some Precisions - were produced in the 70's, so, given the quality of the work and the continuity of feel and finish, it's quite likely original.
TBH I'm not overly worried as I'm enjoying playing the bass so much. Also, I've given up worrying about originality or otherwise given that so much bull is talked about it by people who often couldn't tell an Encore from a pre-CBS Fender if the former had a dodgy headstock transfer and was a little played-in and reliced :)
Cheers
Chris

[quote name='Prosebass' post='348123' date='Dec 7 2008, 09:16 PM']It will all end in tears by the end of the week when a Prosebass Fretless Precision with a natural body and Ebanol neck hits the scene..... :)

Nice bass Chris , I have always liked the look of the bound fret-boards. All you need do next is post a youtube vid of you playing "Havona" on it.....[/quote]

Cheers Paul, I will get a custom bass form you one day I promise!

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='348130' date='Dec 7 2008, 09:25 PM']But it looks so awful Chris, which is why you should give it to me.... :huh:

P.S. you have been assimilated at last![/quote]

Mate, if it's a bass I own that automatically presents a 75% chance that you will also own it with 18 months :)

[quote name='Beedster' post='348137' date='Dec 7 2008, 09:31 PM']Factory (i.e., non custom-order) bound-neck fretless Jazzes - and apparently even some Precisions - were produced in the 70's, so, given the quality of the work and the continuity of feel and finish, it's quite likely original.[/quote]

Interesting! I'm entirely unaware of Fender ever producing a 'standard' fretless Jazz, or bound fretless Precisions. What's your source?

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='348229' date='Dec 7 2008, 11:32 PM']Interesting! I'm entirely unaware of Fender ever producing a 'standard' fretless Jazz, or bound fretless Precisions. What's your source?[/quote]

Black and Molinaro's book has pics of bound fretless Jazzes from as early as 1970. I'll see if I can dig out some info on Precisions, although if I remember correctly the neck I saw was a maple board and was pretty sexy. Of course, it might be an imposter!
Chris

Edited by Beedster

The red one and.. LPB, I think? They were custom orders. They turned up on Ebay a few years ago... for $15K each. They didn't sell!

Mind you, they're the only ones I've ever seen...

There's also a P in there with a bound neck and black blocks... again, it's the only one I've seen!

Edited by wateroftyne

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='348249' date='Dec 8 2008, 12:02 AM']The red one and.. LPB, I think? They were custom orders. They turned up on Ebay a few years ago... for $15K each. They didn't sell!

Mind you, they're the only ones I've ever seen...

There's also a P in there with a bound neck and black blocks... again, it's the only one I've seen![/quote]

So your point is.... :)

[quote name='Beedster' post='348085' date='Dec 7 2008, 08:05 PM'][attachment=16951:CIMG0261.JPG]

Chris[/quote]

I haven't felt this way since Dylan took up electric guitar...

• 5 weeks later...

FYI I fell so in love with the fretless that I have now bought a fretted Jazz (and it's a real beaut, pics to follow). This means I have to go back through Basschat and revise about 400 posts or appear to be a complete idiot :)

Nik, you were right all along!

C

[quote name='Beedster' post='373778' date='Jan 8 2009, 06:58 AM']This means I have to go back through Basschat and revise about 400 posts or appear to be a complete idiot :)

C[/quote]

C, you always run that risk when you have a strong opinion about things, dont worry tho' bud as I hear humble pie tastes quite nice with cream.....

:huh:

B.

[quote name='Beedster' post='373778' date='Jan 8 2009, 06:58 AM']FYI I fell so in love with the fretless that I have now bought a fretted Jazz (and it's a real beaut, pics to follow). This means I have to go back through Basschat and revise about 400 posts or appear to be a complete idiot :)

Nik, you were right all along!

C[/quote]
Well, that's a first! :huh:

Look forward to seeing some pics soon...