Why become a member? ×

Ash's MTD 535! Finished! Pics up with more coming :)

ashevans09

Oh m'lord I love it, it was worth every penny ;) , and it's so versatile! You can get a lovely range of tones from it. It's built like a sh*t brickhouse.

Oh god I love I love I love :P

Hmm....how about an Oxfordshire MTD players club? :) all...two of us :huh:

Edited by ashevans09

Very nice. My second favourite basses after the obvious! ;) My bass has an ash body and top and the neck is about 40% ash at a guess (5 piece neck with 3 pieces of wenge, and 2 of ash, plus wenge fingerboard). Compared to my wenge necked, cherry bodied Warwick the tone is definitely less compressed or growly with a bigger bottom and more open vibe (though I can't say how much of that is down to the longer scale and chambered body).

I do like how the ash feels on the neck, nice texture to it.

Alex

[quote name='Mikey R' post='393604' date='Jan 28 2009, 12:57 PM']Nice! That walnut is just so good, its making me hungry.

How are you getting on with the ash neck? Any different to maple or, say, wenge? Can you feel the grain under your thumb? :P[/quote]

Yep, can definitely feel the grain, it's nice, makes it feel more natural somehow. As for differences, feel wise I'd say it feels less...slick...than maple but in a good way. For me maple has sometimes had a tendency to get a little sticky or slidy, and it really doesn't feel like it with ash. It's a different feel, but I'd say better ;) . Can't comment on wenge, never played it!

It's checking in for a full set up on the 9th February (it lost the set up slightly in transit) :)

• 4 weeks later...

MTDs are beautiful basses - love that one Ash - really gorgeous. They are so well proportioned too - really pleasing on the eye - as I am sure they are on the ear too... my fretless custom was based on the Tobias classic body shape and that was one of the nicest ever - but I think Mr MTD managed to update his style perfectly... great bass - I'm sure you are a very happy bunny right now. My new sei jazz has a lovely chunk of ash for the body and a maple neck... yum!

How's she settling in?

Mike

[quote name='urb' post='420037' date='Feb 26 2009, 12:59 PM']MTDs are beautiful basses - love that one Ash - really gorgeous. They are so well proportioned too - really pleasing on the eye - as I am sure they are on the ear too... my fretless custom was based on the Tobias classic body shape and that was one of the nicest ever - but I think Mr MTD managed to update his style perfectly... great bass - I'm sure you are a very happy bunny right now. My new sei jazz has a lovely chunk of ash for the body and a maple neck... yum!

How's she settling in?

Mike[/quote]

Really well thanks, had my first gig with her on Wednesday. Cut through like an absolute bullet with a lot of rumble :rolleyes:, I was extremely happy :D . The B on it is just insane :) . I now just need to get over my extreme fear of taking it to gigs in case it gets scratched! haha.

[quote name='ashevans09' post='423820' date='Mar 3 2009, 01:27 AM']Really well thanks, had my first gig with her on Wednesday. Cut through like an absolute bullet with a lot of rumble :D, I was extremely happy ;) . The B on it is just insane :) . I now just need to get over my extreme fear of taking it to gigs in case it gets scratched! haha.[/quote]

I gigged with mine on Saturday.

Vaguely amusing little story from the interval of the gig when a bass player in the audience started talking to me. He told me had a newish Fender USA Jazz. I mentioned that whilst I liked the good old J bass I'd only ever owned one Fender and that was an old '70's Musicmaster.

He then proceeded to go through a long speech about how great Fenders were and took great pains to explain that if a US Standard was a bit expensive for me then I should consider the Mex basses as they were such great quality. I'm fairly sure that because I was using a tiny Benz Shuttle for amplification at the gig he thought I was a bit of a bass man on the cheap and that the MTD must have been some cheapo Korean thing.

I asked what he thought of my bass and he said it looked pretty. I said that it was a USA MTD and that he should try one if he got a chance.He said he'd look out for them in a fairly offhand way and I then casually mentioned that they were excellent but quite expensive - about £3K new but if he shopped around he might be lucky enough to find a used one for somewhere around the £2K mark. . .

His jaw dropped and and his mouth gaped open for ages - he then completely stuttered over his words for a minute or two and then quietly shuffled away, lol.

N.B. I really do like Fender J basses & I would never normally have tried to pull any sort of 'one-upmanship' trick like this (not least because the price of something may not be a true reflection of value & it's all subjective anyway) but he was very condescending in the way he was talking to me so I couldn't resist :rolleyes:

[quote name='molan' post='423966' date='Mar 3 2009, 10:56 AM']I gigged with mine on Saturday.

Vaguely amusing little story from the interval of the gig when a bass player in the audience started talking to me. He told me had a newish Fender USA Jazz. I mentioned that whilst I liked the good old J bass I'd only ever owned one Fender and that was an old '70's Musicmaster.

He then proceeded to go through a long speech about how great Fenders were and took great pains to explain that if a US Standard was a bit expensive for me then I should consider the Mex basses as they were such great quality. I'm fairly sure that because I was using a tiny Benz Shuttle for amplification at the gig he thought I was a bit of a bass man on the cheap and that the MTD must have been some cheapo Korean thing.

I asked what he thought of my bass and he said it looked pretty. I said that it was a USA MTD and that he should try one if he got a chance.He said he'd look out for them in a fairly offhand way and I then casually mentioned that they were excellent but quite expensive - about £3K new but if he shopped around he might be lucky enough to find a used one for somewhere around the £2K mark. . .

His jaw dropped and and his mouth gaped open for ages - he then completely stuttered over his words for a minute or two and then quietly shuffled away, lol.

N.B. I really do like Fender J basses & I would never normally have tried to pull any sort of 'one-upmanship' trick like this (not least because the price of something may not be a true reflection of value & it's all subjective anyway) but he was very condescending in the way he was talking to me so I couldn't resist :)[/quote]

"Bwahahahahaaaaaaa

and frickin lazer beams pop out and everything!!!"

Cruel, mate - I mean he deserved it but cruel.

Nice :rolleyes:

[quote name='molan' post='423966' date='Mar 3 2009, 10:56 AM']I gigged with mine on Saturday.

N.B. I really do like Fender J basses & I would never normally have tried to pull any sort of 'one-upmanship' trick like this (not least because the price of something may not be a true reflection of value & it's all subjective anyway) but he was very condescending in the way he was talking to me so I couldn't resist :)[/quote]

Haha, had it coming :D

And yeah that's one of the reasons I'm loving the MTD, as it's not really one of the mainstream brands it doesn't attract too much of the bad, "expensive gear therefore twat" attention. More the kind of "oooh that's pretty, let's talk bass" attention. How did the girl perform at your gig? What band you in? Might try and make it to a gig :rolleyes:

[quote name='ashevans09' post='435934' date='Mar 16 2009, 11:48 AM']Haha, had it coming :D

And yeah that's one of the reasons I'm loving the MTD, as it's not really one of the mainstream brands it doesn't attract too much of the bad, "expensive gear therefore twat" attention. More the kind of "oooh that's pretty, let's talk bass" attention. How did the girl perform at your gig? What band you in? Might try and make it to a gig :)[/quote]

I think i already get the "he's got a 5 string so is therefore a twat" comments, lol.

The girl with only one rehearsal was great. I'm sure no-one noticed that she wasn't our regular singer :rolleyes:

Our band is called Third Party but most gigs are private function things & usually in deepest Hampshire which is where most of the band are based.

• 2 years later...