Why become a member? ×

Ash's MTD 535! Finished! Pics up with more coming :)

ashevans09

[quote name='Josh' post='374153' date='Jan 8 2009, 03:46 PM']Ok that's just stupid fast.[/quote]

I know! Still, not complaining :huh:

And thanks for the info Toasted - blasted Joel an email before posting but just wanted to hear what you guys had to say :)

Hasn't replied yet! Aaaaaaaaaaaaah!

[quote name='ashevans09' post='374007' date='Jan 8 2009, 01:34 PM']The real question is though, do I have it delivered straight here from the US, or since I'm in America next month do I get it delivered to where I'm staying and take it home with me? I did this with my Geddy and avoided tax that way.

Either way it's going in an aircraft hold so what's the best option?[/quote]

hi Ash, congrats - I'm looking forward to seeing the photos!

Re. shipping - I did exactly this back in the summer. I had bass, which I bought from a fellow on TalkBass, sent to my friends place in NY. It arrived the afternoon I arrived from the UK - great timing :) I went out and bought a decent SKB hard case from Guitar Center, which was over the road, for about $120
The bass/case went in the hold on the way back with no problems (and I don't think there was any way they were going to let me have it as hand luggage), and everything was in perfect shape when I got back home. I'll admit I was a bit nervous about potential damage, but with hindsight I would do it again. Just make sure you have a good sturdy case. The only precaution I took was to not lock the case, I just taped up the locks to make sure it didn't open accidentally in transit.
The down side is that doing this you might have to make a decision to ditch the (MTD branded?) case that comes with the bass if it's not sturdy enough. I wouldn't put my MTD in an aircraft hold in the MTD/Zero-G case it came in, even though this was the case that it was shipped in (via FedEx) from the Groove Shoppe when I bought it. However, I think MTD can also supply branded hard-shell cases too?

The main reason I did the above was because of a kind offer from the seller of the bass to let me mail it back to him if I didn't like it. This was obviously going to be much cheaper to do from NY than from London. Were it not for that, then I probably would have just had it mailed to London. Also, bear in mind it was almost $2 to the pound back in July, my tax bill would have been a good deal less than it would be now.

cheers
G

Heya Gwilym,

Thanks for the advice man, I did something similar with my Geddy ;) . After talking to Joel and the airline and letting my impatience get the better of me ( :huh: ) , I decided to go for the international shipping. That way it's not insured on my side so if (god help) anything does happen I'm not going to be left out of pocket. I'm willing to take the hit on duties for that peace of mind tbh :P

Thanks again for all the interest and help, will post pics as soon as I get my grubby mitts on some. Joel says he'll email some over before he ships the bass :)

Ta'

Ash