Why become a member? ×

Ash's MTD 535! Finished! Pics up with more coming :)

ashevans09

Thought I'd start a little build diary for my upcoming baby :huh: . Should be here in 10-12 months! I've been saving a fair while for this and after realising I have more than enough to put a deposit down I contacted Mr. Mike to discuss wood options. I told him I was looking for a bright and growly bass, with a nice roundness in the lower mids that gives a bit of warmth to the overall sound, and he confirmed that the wood options I was looking at would help me along to that sound. I placed a deposit through the grooveshoppe as they gave me the best price and also seemed the most genuine (I got put off by the uber hard sell tactic basscentral went for :) ) , and now we're here today. Anyhoo! Specs!

Specs:

Ash Body
Walnut Burl Top
Ash Neck
Birdseye Maple Fretboard
Matching trussrod cover and headstock
21 Fret
35 inch scale

The hardware and PUs are all standard MTD :huh:

:huh:

I'm so excited, will add pics as they arrive! This is really a dream come true :huh:

Edited by ashevans09

Aaaaand I just came...

Just a quick note though, this is really my first time for a custom build, so do I need to ask for build updates or will mike/grooveshoppe send them along?

Also does anyone know how long it takes mike to make an instrument? I know the wait time is about a year, but how much of that is simply finishing existing orders?

Edited by ashevans09

[quote name='ashevans09' post='348459' date='Dec 8 2008, 11:37 AM']Aaaaand I just came...

Just a quick note though, this is really my first time for a custom build, so do I need to ask for build updates or will mike/grooveshoppe send them along?

Also does anyone know how long it takes mike to make an instrument? I know the wait time is about a year, but how much of that is simply finishing existing orders?[/quote]

Hehe I knew you'd like that :).

Usually they will send you an update every now and again, Mike is reknown for keeping up to date with all of his customers, some sooner than later but they will always get a photo and written update also, it's only when it's been like 6 months without even a word that you then send a message enquiring about the build.

The general build time for MTD's is roughly 9 months - a year, depending on how much Mike has got to do of course, remember now there is only 3 of them in that cramped little shack, yet the basses he makes are just incredible.

Sitll it's nice to see a "Non"- Shuker build for a change....how very dare you!

[quote name='ashevans09' post='348917' date='Dec 8 2008, 06:38 PM']Haha, I'll be honest aesthetically I really really don't like Shukers :ph34r: , can't really comment on their sound!

Thanks for the info, I just got a confirmation of the order through from the grooveshoppe :)[/quote]

I've never played one which lives up to it's hype.

I'm all excited for you now man, have you ever actually played an MTD before?

[quote name='ashevans09' post='349451' date='Dec 9 2008, 10:28 AM']While I was in Boston some guy was trying out amps in a Guitar Center with his 635...I started up a chat with him and got a little fiddle there :)[/quote]

They feel amazing, Mike just gives them a factory set up and they feel absoloutely incredible.

All I've had to do on my 635 is lower the c string saddle a little, thats it, whereas my 535 I didn't adjust a thing, it was that perfect.

[quote name='ashevans09' post='348917' date='Dec 8 2008, 06:38 PM']Haha, I'll be honest aesthetically I really really don't like Shukers :ph34r: , can't really comment on their sound!

Thanks for the info, I just got a confirmation of the order through from the grooveshoppe :)[/quote]

Blasphemy... i dont really like MTDs :huh:

Seriously though, looks great, look forward to reading more about this and seeing some pictures.

[quote name='Toasted' post='350981' date='Dec 10 2008, 04:28 PM']Sweet - I hope you like the bass :)

Tell us more about the basscentral hard sell? It sounds hilarious.[/quote]

Thanks man :huh: , and as for the hard sell it was all in the extremely over eager OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111!!1!!!!1!one111!!!!! vein. And also they gave me a more expensive quote and then tried to sell me existing stock that wasn't what I was looking for. Oh well, I've dealt with them before and they are lovely guys, just slightly too full on sometimes. An extract from an email:

"Just talked with Mike T as a matter of fact. He tells me we could have this exact Bass for you [b][u] IN 3-4 MONTHS!!! NORMAL WAIT IS 12 MONTHS !!!! SALE PRICE $**** PLUS $295 SHIPPING VIA FED EX INSURED SHIPPING!!!![/u][/b]"

and yes, it was in bold and italics.

Edited by ashevans09

• 4 weeks later...

Haha, and meh, sh*t happens. I've worked and saved for this so I'm happy either way :) . May I ask what luverly bass you've got swinging your way? Also very cheekily do you still have your DB750 around? What's that bad boy like?

And mcgraham - No problems at all buddy but I'll PM once it's in the UK - I have a feeling the taxman is going to want a significant amount of my money :huh:

The real question is though, do I have it delivered straight here from the US, or since I'm in America next month do I get it delivered to where I'm staying and take it home with me? I did this with my Geddy and avoided tax that way.

Either way it's going in an aircraft hold so what's the best option?

(still chasing photos) :huh:

Edited by ashevans09

DB750 is a tone monster. Every other amp I've played feels like a step backwards, it had a great big sound, and wonderful natural compression that means you're always heard. I recently had to use an Ashdown Electric Blue 180 combo, and I honestly felt depressed after the practice.

The taxman will take the cost of the bass + postage, add 3.6%, add 15%, hit you with a handling fee and bill you that money. It'd be worth a chat with Joel to see what value he intends to write on the customs note. READ BETWEEN THE LINES HERE :)