Why become a member? ×

Newcastle bass teacher?

M4L666

[quote name='M4L666' post='347056' date='Dec 6 2008, 09:37 AM']Need a bass teacher in Newcastle. Have just tried a guy who made me stay in 1st position the whole lesson, need someone more free. I play metal, classic and new.[/quote]

Does it have to be in Newcastle itself or do you have transport?

HA Ha
Kenny potter was my first bass tutor fantastic guy started me off really well, i later studied with Keith Peberdy who is amazing , i can also recommend both Neil Harland and i was at Newcastle college with stevie Ireland who is great, also worth checking out is Andy Champion who is fantastic.
All of these guys are currently teaching in and around TOON!!!! all of these guys are professional highly skilled players who will teach you properly ( which if needed usually means starting in the first position :) ) im sure you can get all their numbers from the local music shops in newcastle, its always worth having recommendations to a name as i know newcastle has about 50 million BASS teachers!!!!!!.
good luck with the search- lee

I'm sure I'll upset a whole bunch of bass tutors by just mentioning ONE more but Kenny Potter is worth checking out!

[quote name='M4L666' post='347056' date='Dec 6 2008, 09:37 AM']Need a bass teacher in Newcastle. Have just tried a guy who made me stay in 1st position the whole lesson, need someone more free. I play metal, classic and new.[/quote]

Thats simply an effort in teaching you good technique.

I'm currently being taught by Neil Harland, I can vouch for him.
Ian Paterson is also a very good teacher if you can find him.

• 4 months later...

[quote name='Asgath' post='350873' date='Dec 10 2008, 04:34 PM']Thats simply an effort in teaching you good technique.

I'm currently being taught by Neil Harland, I can vouch for him.
Ian Paterson is also a very good teacher if you can find him.[/quote]

+1 for Neil Harland. He's the best bass player in Newcastle. Probably has been since he was 14! Absolute salt of the earth to boot. And I'm not just saying that cos he's my mate!

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='347649' date='Dec 7 2008, 01:51 AM']I'm sure I'll upset a whole bunch of bass tutors by just mentioning ONE more but Kenny Potter is worth checking out![/quote]

Im sure he taught when i was at newcastle college many moons ago.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='347649' date='Dec 7 2008, 01:51 AM']I'm sure I'll upset a whole bunch of bass tutors by just mentioning ONE more but Kenny Potter is worth checking out![/quote]

I remember years ago when I knew Kenny as a player. Bumped into one time and he told me he had started doing bass lessons - I said that I looked forward to hearing the improvement in his playing in the future - HE didn't laugh either.

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='472329' date='Apr 25 2009, 06:39 PM']I remember years ago when I knew Kenny as a player. Bumped into one time and he told me he had started doing bass lessons - I said that I looked forward to hearing the improvement in his playing in the future - HE didn't laugh either.[/quote]

:) :rolleyes: :D ;) BRILLIANT!!!!!

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='474262' date='Apr 28 2009, 03:25 PM']This Kenny Potter chap has totally passed me by.. I see he played with Archie Brown in the past, but who else has he played with?

Just bein' nosey - I'm suprised I've never heard of him.[/quote]

When I were just a nipper (cough) he played with the R&B Spitfires. Great band and cracking bassist.

I spoke to Kenny quite recently and he may have lost some Kudos of late as he also... (gulp)... teaches [s]Guit[/s] a 6 string instrument that isn't an ERB! :)

[quote name='bassoctopus' post='474260' date='Apr 28 2009, 03:20 PM']Kenny Potter???? Now there's a name from the past. He gave me 4 bass lessons when I was at school - that must be 20 years ago.
I stopped going as my parents stopped providing bass lesson money and told me to get a job!! Self taught since then![/quote]

Your parents must have thought 4 lessons were enough - one per string.

WoT - I can recall Kenny playing with the RnB Spitfires many moons ago although I'm sure he will have knocked about with others. Not so long ago I think he was having an outing with a re-hash of that kind of line-up under the name of the Gaslighters - local pub scene e.g. Star Inn, Westgate Road.

Correction to above - I've just Googled Gaslighters and it can't possibly be Kenny's band - far too MOR.

Now, Googling RnB Spitfires gets you an idea of Ken's stage presence (at least of old). There's a pic of him lowping about fower foot in the air. I will find out the correct name of any current band and suggest some of us go along to watch and make a point of walking out halfway through the first number - gets 'em every time.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='474394' date='Apr 28 2009, 05:27 PM']Excellent.. cheers, Doc!

'RnB Spitfires' did ring a bell with me... turns out they had some demos produced by Mr. Daggett.

Just watching the clips from The Tube now.. mint![/quote]

Direct me to these clips please MB... I could do with a drop of nostalgia. :)

Nostalgia?

Cuh.. it's waaaaaaaay before my time. :)

[url="http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=6590796"]http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...VideoID=6590796[/url]

[url="http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=6608875"]http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...VideoID=6608875[/url]

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='474433' date='Apr 28 2009, 06:05 PM']Nostalgia?

Cuh.. it's waaaaaaaay before my time. :rolleyes:

[url="http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=6590796"]http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...VideoID=6590796[/url]

[url="http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=6608875"]http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...VideoID=6608875[/url][/quote]

Cheers.

I was so hoping it would be 'She was looking back...'! :)

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='474386' date='Apr 28 2009, 05:21 PM']".....lowping about fower foot in the air."[/quote]

Thank you Mr S, for a pleasing reminder of my native tongue, even if only from a phonetic point of view.

All I need now is a bottle of dog and some stottie cake, and I'll be set for the night.

Champion!

[quote name='Huge Hands' post='474483' date='Apr 28 2009, 06:55 PM']Thank you Mr S, for a pleasing reminder of my native tongue[/quote]

Nee bother HH - I have a 4year old son whose normal twang is kinda 'standard' English but I make sure he keeps in touch with his roots by repeating the number of the bus that passes his granda's house - yes it's the Fowerty-fower.

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='474490' date='Apr 28 2009, 07:02 PM']Nee bother HH - I have a 4year old son whose normal twang is kinda 'standard' English but I make sure he keeps in touch with his roots by repeating the number of the bus that passes his granda's house - yes it's the Fowerty-fower.[/quote]

Ha ha ha! I have aaaal that to come as there is a mini HH pendng in the next month or so, to be born and live down here.

I'll be force-feeding him Geordie Hoose/Mike Neville's "Larn Yersel Geordie" as much as possible!

I've already bookmarked "Wor Geordie's Lost His Liggie" on YouTube in anticipation....

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='474522' date='Apr 28 2009, 07:38 PM']The Mitchell / Johnson version, I hope...[/quote]

Presuming you mean Brian Johnson and therefore Geordie, then yes.

Sorry, I was never very well up on the other members, although I did go to school with the son of a guitarist named Mickey Bennison who I believe was either a member at some point or manager, or both.

Cracking bloke, and often used to pop up to see him play in the blues jam at the Beamish Mary just before I moved away ('95 ish).