Why become a member? ×

The Bizarre World of Frank Zappa Tour

Just bought my ticket for this at The Palladium. Anyone else going?

I'm really looking forward to hearing Thunes play again since the last time I saw him some 30+ years ago.

This is the promo blurb which sounds both promising and intriguing:

"Live music’s premier hologram production company, Eyellusion, have announced that a who’s who of Zappa fan favourite musicians will support The Bizarre World Of Frank Zappa hologram tour – set to hit the UK in May 2019. 

Hours of never-before-seen Zappa performance footage from the early seventies will form the basis of the “can’t miss” concert spectacle, which is being produced in close cooperation with the Zappa Family Trust.

The “Bizarre World of Frank Zappa” hologram tour band is comprised
 of former Bandmates for this monumental series of shows. The touring unit boasts guitarists Ray White and Mike Keneally, bassist Scott Thunes, multi-instrumentalist Robert Martin and drummer and Zappa archivist Joe “Vaultmeister” Travers – with special guests set to join in on some shows.

In 1974, Frank Zappa transformed his Los Angeles rehearsal space into a sound stage and cranked out a passionate, trademark performance seen only by the camera operators in the room who captured every last bizarrely beautiful moment. This footage, locked away in the Zappa vaults for 44 years, will serve as the basis for what will be the world’s most ambitious hologram tour to date, blending live footage of Frank with outrageous visuals that offer a striking view into his complex musical works."

Here is the ZFT trailer....

• Thanks 1

I can’t seem to get over the entire hologram thing. To each their own of course and it will undoubtedly be a great event, but I am not going. It doesn’t feel the right thing to do for me (I know, but if I ask myself what would Frank do.... I cannot see him want to be a hologram).

Dweezil is the closest thing for me. I saw Dweezil Zappa Plays Whatever the F he wants last year, best live gig in a few years. And I have seen the Z plays Z thing a number of times.

May regret it, but passing on the hologram.

Edited by HazBeen

28 minutes ago, HazBeen said:

I can’t seem to get over the entire hologram thing. To each their own of course and it will undoubtedly be a great event, but I am not going. It doesn’t feel the right thing to do for me (I know, but if I ask myself what would Frank do.... I cannot see him want to be a hologram).

Dweezil is the closest thing for me. I saw Dweezil Zappa Plays Whatever the F he wants last year, best live gig in a few years. And I have seen the Z plays Z thing a number of times.

May regret it, but passing on the hologram.

I'm sure I read somewhere that there is an interview of Frank talking about holograms and their potential use in the future for performances.

He was all for pushing boundaries, so I think he would approve. That's what I'm telling myself anyway 😀.

He pushed some boundaries when i saw him live at Hammersmith.  But that's what he did.  He was a composer, ( hated being called a rock star - he was way above that ) , was anti-drugs,  and a complicated , anti-establishment figure.

And although some dont get him ( understandable when you take a listen to 200 Motels )  i thought he was monstrously good.  I wont be going to see the current show, as i remember him when he was alive and in the flesh, and it was a sad day when prostate cancer took another victim.

13 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I'm sure I read somewhere that there is an interview of Frank talking about holograms and their potential use in the future for performances.

He was all for pushing boundaries, so I think he would approve. That's what I'm telling myself anyway 😀.

He might....

I must admit that in part the ridiculous fued between Ahmet/Diva and Dweezil/Moon may be colouring my judgement (I even bought Dweezil’s No Fake Frank t-shirt ;)...). The family has resolved their differences but this is very much a Diva/Ahmet event (Gail’s preferred kids). I am of the opinion the 2 have squandered a lot of their Dad’s legacy for cold hard cash.

I am a sensitive soul when it comes to Zappa 🙄

It will be a great show though, Scott Tunes is a joy to watch I am sure, all 6’5” of glorious bassist.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, fleabag said:

He pushed some boundaries when i saw him live at Hammersmith.  But that's what he did.  He was a composer, ( hated being called a rock star - he was way above that ) , was anti-drugs,  and a complicated , anti-establishment figure.

And although some dont get him ( understandable when you take a listen to 200 Motels )  i thought he was monstrously good.  I wont be going to see the current show, as i remember him when he was alive and in the flesh, and it was a sad day when prostate cancer took another victim.

I am very much against idolising people, but Zappa is my one exception..... major fanboy. The guy was a friggin’ genius (but also a nasty piece of work at times according to the many books, memoires etc I have read on him and the family.

10 minutes ago, HazBeen said:

He might....

I must admit that in part the ridiculous fued between Ahmet/Diva and Dweezil/Moon may be colouring my judgement (I even bought Dweezil’s No Fake Frank t-shirt ;)...). The family has resolved their differences but this is very much a Diva/Ahmet event (Gail’s preferred kids). I am of the opinion the 2 have squandered a lot of their Dad’s legacy for cold hard cash.

I am a sensitive soul when it comes to Zappa 🙄

It will be a great show though, Scott Tunes is a joy to watch I am sure, all 6’5” of glorious bassist.

Rumour has it that Steve Vai might turn up at a few shows as well. Where else better than the London Palladium. Fingers crossed.

Edited by hiram.k.hackenbacker

6 minutes ago, HazBeen said:

I am very much against idolising people, but Zappa is my one exception..... major fanboy. The guy was a friggin’ genius (but also a nasty piece of work at times according to the many books, memoires etc I have read on him and the family.

Most of the recipients of said behaviour deserved it though 😉

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Rumour has it that Steve Van might turn up at a few shows as well. Where else better than the London Palladium. Fingers crossed.

He will, sure of it. Maybe we need to start a thread about our favourite Zappa period. For me it is ‘73 Overnight Sensation - ‘88 Broadway the Hard Way .... 15 years of just ridiculously good music and musicianship.

1 hour ago, HazBeen said:

He will, sure of it. Maybe we need to start a thread about our favourite Zappa period. For me it is ‘73 Overnight Sensation - ‘88 Broadway the Hard Way .... 15 years of just ridiculously good music and musicianship.

That's a big period to have dibs on 😂.

As you say, there is so much to like. If pushed, I would probably go to the album that started it all for me - Zappa in New York (released in 1978, but recorded in 1976).

My teenage brain really didn't know what to make of it; I just knew I liked it - a lot! That was the first album I heard, but it belonged to a friend of mine who I convinced to lend it to me so I could tape it. I played that tape so much I wore it out.

I'm now the owner of every album he has produced as well as a mountain of bootlegs. More than I will probably ever be able to listen to.

Happily, the ZFT have just announced the 40th Anniversary of Zappa in New York, comprising a 5 disc Deluxe Edition. More info here.

• Like 1

At the time, mid-'60s, there was a lot of stuff coming out that was, let's say, 'unusual', different culturally from 'South Pacific' or Frank Sinatra. 'Freak Out' was amongst these gems, and the rot set in immediately. It's all good, in its own way, each with its own idiom, and of its own time. From the exuberant cross-dressing stage shows to the philharmonic opus, the slathering guitar-fests and discordant horn stabs, percussion solos and Duke's 'singing'... there's a universe full of unimaginable talent stirred into a tasty soup, each day a different 'flavour of the day'. I listen to the later offerings with open ears, and play again (and again, and again...) the early stuff, hearing new things at every session. Unbeatable value for money, that bloke (and his team(s)...). I'll admit that it took me quite a while before giving 200 Motels a listen-to, entire, in one sitting. Too much soup can cause indigestion if ingested too quickly (or if it's too hot...).

2 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I'm now the owner of every album he has produced as well as a mountain of bootlegs. More than I will probably ever be able to listen to.

I've got to keep in your good books just for the chance of an invite to tea and a listen to some of your collection!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

At the time, mid-'60s, there was a lot of stuff coming out that was, let's say, 'unusual', different culturally from 'South Pacific' or Frank Sinatra. 'Freak Out' was amongst these gems, and the rot set in immediately. It's all good, in its own way, each with its own idiom, and of its own time. From the exuberant cross-dressing stage shows to the philharmonic opus, the slathering guitar-fests and discordant horn stabs, percussion solos and Duke's 'singing'... there's a universe full of unimaginable talent stirred into a tasty soup, each day a different 'flavour of the day'. I listen to the later offerings with open ears, and play again (and again, and again...) the early stuff, hearing new things at every session. Unbeatable value for money, that bloke (and his team(s)...). I'll admit that it took me quite a while before giving 200 Motels a listen-to, entire, in one sitting. Too much soup can cause indigestion if ingested too quickly (or if it's too hot...).

If you think 200 Motels is a tough listen, try Civilization Phaze III 😀

• Haha 1

Coming clean, at 44 I am alas too young to have been able to see the great man live.

My intro was through my brother in law (13 years my sr) when at 14 he decided I should listen to Bongo Fury. I had just graduated from “now this is what I call music” into Beatles and Hendrix and he felt I might appreciate it.

The Muffin Man blew my teenybopper mind and it changed my life, literally. It was the moment I realised that music can touch you in the most deep/viceral way and it made me decide to pick up guitar, then bass.

I have branched out into all types of music, from Grunge to Metal to Jazz, my record collection can most def be labelled eclectic. But it has one constant, one thin red line connecting it all ....... Zappa.

A fan boy anecdote: When he died in ‘93 I was at uni, but worked in a pub part-time and was working an 8 hour shift “the day after”. Much to the dismay of most customers I played only Zappa that day, but I didn’t care. Zappa, THE Zappa was no more and he deserved a tribute.

😁

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HazBeen said:

Overnight Sensation is the killer.  I must have had that for over 35 years in one form or another.  It was my first intro to the world of FZ

Then there's Hot Rats, Zoot Allures, Sheik Yerbouti,  Live at the Filmore, Shut Up And Play Yer Guitar ... etc etc

Wild stuff

Edited by fleabag
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Rumour has it that Steve Vai might turn up at a few shows as well. Where else better than the London Palladium. Fingers crossed.

Not sure if you’ve seen it (or aware it exists!) but the Nikki Sixx ‘My Favourite Riff’ episode with Vai as a guest included some good Zappa stories. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, fleabag said:

Apologies.. had to post The Slime track.  Got one of my all time fave lead guitar wails .  Even his lead git work was unique

Yes, spot on. Over-Nite Sensation is one of FZ's finest studio works. Got me into George Duke big time.

This is one of my favourite FZ guitar phrases. There's nothing particularly difficult about it, it's just in the context of the song, it fits perfectly.

Straight out of the gates as the first song of his second show in San Diego THAT DAY, the note that starts at 0:48 just makes the hairs stand up every time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dad3353 said:

Not only the music itself (as if that wasn't enough...), there are associated concepts and talents. This is Part 1 of 3; all well worth the watch...

Yes, I have this on DVD. He really got good at the stop motion thing. Amazing.