Why become a member? ×

Your Rig Feedback Thread

Linus27

Whilst looking at potential amps and speakers to buy, what kept popping into my head is how reliable are they going to be compared to what I already own. I do over 100 gigs a year so I want something that is not going to let me down. You read horror stories regarding certain manufacturers/gear and in a lot of cases not always true or accurate. So I thought it might be a good idea to list your rig and a brief report on how reliable you have found it and a very brief overview. Doesn't need to be war and peace, just a very brief review on overall thoughts and reliability/issues if any. So I will get the ball rolling.

MarkBass LM3 Amp with 2 x MarkBass NY112 Cabs

Bought this setup brand new just over a year ago and have done about 70 gigs with it. Output is 500 watts and has been very good for my needs. Gain always set at half way and volume at about 11 o'clock for my 50's/60's band with loud drummer. Hasn't missed a beat with no faults or issues to report so far. EQ is very powerful with lots of range. Tweeters on the cabs don't really make any difference and overall this setup sounds very good with my two Jazz basses. Precisions not so good but having put a set of Rotosound flats on one of them, it does now indeed sound very good. One thing that I would like is a mute button on the amp head but its not a deal breaker.

Fender Rumble v3 100 Combo

Bought this secondhand to use with my Kala UBass and a practice amp at home. Have done around 30 gigs with it and it has not missed a beat with no faults or issues to report. The sound is lovely and warm regardless of what I play through it. Would be nice to have a tilt back option as I tend to stick something under the front to point it upwards when in use. No mute option but not too much of a problem as the built in tuner on my Ubass mutes everything when in use.

Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 600 and 2 x Subway 1x15 cabs

This rig has replaced the Bass 400 and Diesel 2x15 I had used (without fault) for about 28 years. They have been going (faultlessly) for about 3 years now. The sound is very similar to the Bass 400 (to my battered ears) and the weight is far less. Nothing else to add really. Rehearsal/tiny gig set up is

Mesa Boogie Walkabout 15

Had this one for about 6 months and a previous one for a few years. Again, both played faultlessly. 

All are typical Boogie. All the sounds you want are there if you can figure out how to find them (the eq is interactive by design) and build quality is always brilliant. Bought my original rig unseen/heard when it was described as the Rolls Royce of bass amps in a review. It was completely right IMHO.

Edited by Steve Browning
  • Like 1

Glockenklang Soul combo

With 2 x 10", the combo kicks and hits but there is the other side, too: 38 kg = 84 lbs. Played 10+ years with it. Love the amp, which leads to...

Glockenklang Soul head + Alusonic 2 X 12"

Because of the weight, I decided to try something else two years ago. Alusonic moves air with two elements and a tweeter. Separate parts are now far easier to carry: 12 kg (amp) + 18 kg (cab). Somewhat different but still versatile sound.

I have had no issues with my gear but I take care of them.

• Like 1

Aguilar DB751

Just an incredible head, not light but man that sound!!! Orange 4 stroke 500w  now as back up into either -

Barefaced 610 or Big Twin T - either is mighty! Both super light and that makes up for the not so light head.

Ultra reliable, can do any gig size I throw them at (up to now) and the sound is my sound/the sound I was after. Always with an old P bass, just killer.

• Like 2

GK MB800

DI stopped working, or maybe never did. GK want me to get it working. Less than 3 years old, hardly used. Also had issues at gigs with it not producing any noise for first 10mins. Wouldn't trust it at a gig anymore.

MarkBass F1.

Brought second hand off here many years ago. Never had any issues with it in over 500 gigs.

I dont have this now, but Epifani UL212.

Terrible quality. within 6 weeks of owning it, from new, a handle fell off at gig, had to replace both drivers and on one gig had to use gaffa tape to get one of the drivers working. Never gain.

• Like 1

Ashdown ABM 600 EVO-IV

Great amp, offering solid-state weight but warm heavyweight sounds - the weight to the sound that you can feel, and more importantly which doesn`t get lost on big stages. 9-band eq/drive/compression so versatile too. Reliable as anything, and all ABMs are built so that they can be repaired, with Ashdown only being an hours drive from me this is a big plus-point . Have now had this amp 2 years which is almost unheard of for me, I must like it!

Ashdown ABM 410 EVO-IV

Solidly built, fairly heavy cab. Has been on tour in the back of a van protected only by a Roq Solid cover and no problems. I`ve added some go-faster castors to it to help carting it about. Handles anything I put into it, and what a sound. Like the amp it has that weight to the sound and again like the amp, that weight doesn`t get lost when you have to go loud.

IMO the Ashdown ABM range is built for those needing solid reliable gear that can cope with all range of venues/stages. Might not be the lightest gear, but it`s far from the heaviest and having had lighter gear, I`ll stick with the ABMs. Ashdowns customer service also a real plus-factor as it`s been second to none in my experience.

Edited by Lozz196
  • Like 1

TC RH750  

This amp replaced my TC RH450 a few years back . No problems with the sound with either. I replaced the usual cracked buttons (free from TC) and, touch wood, we are 150+ gigs in and it’s not skipped a beat. I like the 3 channels to preset when using active or passive basses. 

Bergantino 212

I’ve only had this awesome cab for 4 or 5 months and I love it. Punchy and kicks donkey! I have an RS212 for home use, but gigged this for 8 years with no problems at all.

• Like 1

GK1001RB & GK MB500 (BACKUP)

After trying just about everything I settled on this head. Had one in UK and now have one in Canada. It's powerful enough for pretty much anything, and cuts through great. Only downside is you need a 3U case because the fan is mounted on top.

Bergantino HDN410  BFM Jack12 (x2)

The Berg is super sensitive, goes plenty deep enough and has a sweet high end. Plus has staggered speaker arrangement which makes a little taller. Still only 55 pounds in weight. The BFM's are custom made from Bill's design and are crazy good. Each cab is 12" 400w and have an Eminence BGH25 horn. With a slight pronounced mid, they punch through no problem and are very sensitive too. I have done an outdoors gig with no PA support. I only use them now when I need a small footprint.

Aguilar AG700 and Carvin B1000

When I was looking for a class D head, I compared the AG700 directly with and preferred it to the Glock Steamhammer, Genz Magellan,  Mark LM3 and EBS Reidmar. Plenty of power. Simple, usable eq. Has a hint of the Aguilar trademark tone (on the warm side, but not dirty like the TH heads), but does clean, too. Bought the Carvin used as a backup. Does clean a little better than the AG and sounds particularly good with a P bass - compliments it very well. 1000w power rating a little optimistic - I'd say it's on a par with the AG.

Phil Jones C4 and 4B

Discovered PJB when I was looking for a combo for small jobs (at the time, I was running large old-school cabs with a pre/power). Had pretty well decided to buy a 1x12 Markbass and tried a C4 that the shop had on display on a whim. It was something of a revelation. I preferred it so much to the MB and my old cabs, I bought it and decided to get more, move on my old rig and find a lightweight head. Now run two C4s and a 4B (similar tone, with a bit more bottom end than the C4), so can take as many/few cabs as a job demands - both heads will run into 2.6 ohms. Clean, but not clinical, plenty of weight when I use all three together and also work well at low volumes, which you can't say for all cabs (some seem to need to be pushed before they give of their best). Inefficient, so you need powerful amplification. Heavy for their diminutive size and solidly built. Project very well - will do most 'normal' jobs without PA support and deliver a surprising amount of volume in the room without appearing to be particularly loud on stage. Not heard anything I prefer to date and no plans to change.