Why become a member? ×

Shuker Custom Single Cut 5

RichBowman

Hi all,

It’s a hard decision, and certainly not one I’m taking lightly, but I’ve decided to sell my Shuker Single Cut Custom 5.

Basically – I’ve not been playing for about the last 6 months, and I can’t see that situation changing anytime soon. I feel shockingly guilty having a) so much money locked up in the bass and :) that it’s not being used to do what it was built for, just to be sat in it’s case in the corner of the room. I’m not giving up playing, just reassessing and being sensible about the situation.

Anyway – enough of that. I’ll let the specs and some pictures do the talking:

Body – English White Ash with Cooked Maple Top in Satin Finish
Neck – 35’ scale 5 piece Maple and Wenge, graphite reinforced neck.
48mm Nut, 65mm at 12th fret, 75mm at 24th. 22mm deep at 1st, 24mm deep at 12th.
24 medium frets (brand new!) mother of pearl markers on top. Brass nut and Gotoh tuners. Body matching headstock cover
Individual Bridge pieces. 18mm string spacing
Shuker 18v 3 band (mid-adjustable via rear accessed pot) EQ with gain control.
Volume and Pan
Custom Wenge Knobs
EMG CS (Bridge) and DC (Neck) Pick ups.

The bass is in great condition – I’ve only just got it back less than a month or so ago from Jon where it went for a service.

Here are some taster pictures, if you want more high-res pics, please check out: [url="http://gallery.me.com/richard.bowman/100017"]http://gallery.me.com/richard.bowman/100017[/url] there’s more there than you could shake a stick at (including construction pictures).

Cash wise – I’m after £850. Trade wise - I might be tempted by a Laky 55-01 or something similar (5’s only, I think) plus cash.

You can PM me – Though I may take some time to reply as I don’t have access at work – or you can email me at: richard ‘at’ bowman ‘dot’ plus ‘dot’ com.

Of course you’re more than welcome to come and try it out – I have an amp (and headphones) but no speakers! I’m based in South London.

Edited by RichBowman

Christ, Rich! What a shame!

Let me say I've played this bass and it is magnificent!

Man, I'd love to have it, Rich. But I'm picking up a Shuker 5 this week! I have got a 5 string available to trade - it's an Elrick designed Cort, 35" scale, and the best fiver I've had! It's made in the same factory as the Skylines, I'm led to believe.

Man. Sad times.

Cheers guys,

I know... There's so little I can say to justify it, but it just seems stupid that it's being wasted sat in the corner. There's loads of other things that I've had to cut back on as well (Archery, Hockey, Football, Running, Squash... the list goes on) that if I though I had any chance of spare time to start a band I would. Seriously - moving to London has utterly devoured my spare time!

Still - if nothing comes of this, I'm hardly going to be gutted, am I! :-)

Cheers,

Rich

Such a shame Rich, but I know it's not a decision you'll have taken lightly.
I'd be sorely tempted if it wasn't a 35"er and I wasn't expecting another bass from Jon soon.

Whoever ends up with my bass's sibling better look after it right! :)

Best of luck with the sale and everything else mate.

Cheers,
Eude

Edited by eude

[quote name='eude' post='345314' date='Dec 4 2008, 12:55 PM']I'd be sorely tempted if it wasn't a 35"er and I wasn't expecting another bass from Jon soon.[/quote]

Exactly the same position. About to pick up my 33" 5string!

[quote name='Mike' post='345583' date='Dec 4 2008, 03:54 PM']Exactly the same position. About to pick up my 33" 5string![/quote]

Wow, exciting times mate!
You'll have to let me see pics... :)

Cheers,
Eude

• 4 weeks later...

Ah, what a shame... i've been watching this. If it were a six, i'd like to i'd be interested. I need to get something like this, same price range, as a second bass.. but dont want to go less that six.
Does Jon keep many used basses, or basses of this price range in stock? Just wondering... ;)
Hope things go well! Matt :P

Hi Matt,

I'm not sure what used basses Jon keeps in stock - I have to admit I haven't ever seen a 6 string on my various visits up there. You can see his stock here:

[url="http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/stock.htm"]http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/stock.htm[/url]

I think that through-neck SC5 (£2500 I might point out... ;) ) is just stunning - I had a play on it last time I was up and it felt spectacular. I saw the headless 5 (though for some reason I thought it was a 4 - memory is fading as I get older...) - also very nice but not sure about headless' in general...

All the best,

Rich

P.S. I'm loving that monster Trace Rig in your avatar!

No problem Rich! I've had a PM from a guy who saw my post on here, and will hopefully have a new bass in a few weeks.. all will be revealed! :)
I do like Jons work though, I really must visit his shop sometime, and i'm very interested in the course he runs for bass building!

Hope it goes well! Oh yes, and I love the green stuff!! :huh: Monster rig :P

Best wishes! Matt ;)

I think the price is fair, it's just timing Rich - and SCs can be a bit marmite to some people but not me. I keep looking at this and think yeh I want it cos I love SCs and it would suit me down to the ground with those pups but I haven't got £900 spare at the moment but if I did....well you know me mate. ;)

Cheers Alan - I think you'd like it quite a bit as I based the neck on that Spector Euro 5 that I bought from you many moons ago... But thanks for the kind words (and if I remember correctly from seeing pics of your current Spectors - they're non-too shabby!)

Afraid I don't have any sound clips, but can basically describe it as thus (though I know it's exceptionally subjective):

The Neck DC soled does a pretty good Precision impersonation - a bit more frequency response than I've experienced with P basses though - Deeper lows and nice highs (not clanky though).

The bridge is a CS, so is a bit smoother than the DC - When you solo it you can get a good 'bridge-only jazz' sound, though I find it's less 'boxy' and not so nasal and, again, deeper than a single coil. It does have a lovely 'burp' to it and I find it very usable.

Together - I'd say it was punchy and aggressive - Good lows, a nicely present mid-range (that gives it a nice growl - especially on the E and ;) and nice controllable highs. The on board EQ is very flexible too.

I'll try and investigate ways of getting some sound clips done, not quite sure how as I've not got a great deal of equipment with me, but I'll see what I can do.

Cheers and all the best,

Rich