Why become a member? ×

Helix Floor/LT/HX/Stomp/PodGo owners' Club - Tips, Ideas & Patches

Al Krow

7 hours ago, Al Krow said:

PS a little birdie has told me that there are some amp sims for the HX Effects in 2.91. If true, clearly Line 6 aren't in total agreement with some of the earlier posts today around it being a cost issue and / or what the HX Effects is for :P

If true, clearly Line 6 aren't in total agreement with their own marketing

https://line6.com/hx-effects/

😝😝😝

11 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Blimey! Ok that's going on the "to do!" list for tomorrow then! 

PS a little birdie has told me that there are some amp sims for the HX Effects in 2.91. If true, clearly Line 6 aren't in total agreement with some of the earlier posts today around it being a cost issue and / or what the HX Effects is for :P

Ooh tell us more. I wonder if folks had a few amp (and cabs?) sims on the fx if it would become the preferred unit given its feature set? I’m guessing a TB source?

13 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

Haha, that was quick. At this rate we will be on version 3.0 by next week lol  

https://line6.com/support/page/kb/effects-controllers/helix/helixhx-291-release-notes-r940/

Better dig out my HX FX then from the Gigging pile, seeing as it is not going to be doing much for a while! Actually in these times of lockdown I guess I might as well redo it. 

And I might as well update the LT and spend some quality time with it. Maybe I can spend some time working out if snapshots are any good for me.

Edited by Woodinblack

12 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Have they? Its not on their release notes. Judging by the time and the release notes, 2.91 is a patch round a problem in 2.90, and 2.90 lists all the things it adds, which includes a new amp and cab models for Helix Floor, LT, HX Stomp and HX Native, and new effects for Helix Floor, LT, HX Stomp, HX Effects and HX Native. 

42 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Have they? Its not on their release notes. Judging by the time and the release notes, 2.91 is a patch round a problem in 2.90, and 2.90 lists all the things it adds, which includes a new amp and cab models for Helix Floor, LT, HX Stomp and HX Native, and new effects for Helix Floor, LT, HX Stomp, HX Effects and HX Native. 

Maybe he means 3.0? 2.91 is clearly a fixer update. 

Edited by krispn
2.91 not 2.9.1

Lol! My "birdie" has just got back to me and informed me that he was just being sarcastic a la Donald ("No, of course, I never meant for you to inject disinfectant").

I've updated for 2.91. No amp and cab sims for the HX FX alas and Line 6 are clearly sticking to their own marketing. As you were folks...

Edited by Al Krow

49 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I've updated for 2.91. No amp and cab sims for the HX FX alas and Line 6 are clearly sticking to their own marketing. As you were folks...

I think that Line 6 are pretty clear in all their marketing material about the position of the HX FX. It is an effects unit for people who want to use their own amp.

I still believe that at some point in a few years, with companies snapping at their heels, they will make something which is the same as a full helix in an FX sized case. But not for a while yet.

Before 2.9 came along I must admit I was looking at the Pod Go. Similar to the HFX, as in more ins and outs, more footswtiches and has amp/cab sims. 
Obviously things missing, but things I don’t really use, like parallel paths. Much cheaper than the LT, and even the Stomp.

Ohh, just noticed the Pod Go has the Rochester comp and Small Stone already. Oh dear, wish I hadn’t seen that. Might be a poor mans LT but I can’t see any limitations for  my use. Also has all the Bass amps the Helix has. 

Edited by dave_bass5

26 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Before 2.9 came along I must admit I was looking at the Pod Go. Similar to the HFX, as in more ins and outs, more footswtiches and has amp/cab sims. 
Obviously things missing, but things I don’t really use, like parallel paths. Much cheaper than the LT, and even the Stomp.

On an average gig how many differing patches would you use and do you think the PGo would have additional benefit. If you haven't tried the parallel paths you should give them a go if you have a spare 15mins. Dragging a drive on a parallel path even without adding in a crossover can really beef things up. You're potentially missing out on a great feature of the unit. It might not be your thing but do give it a try. For a lot of bassists using a Stomp it's an important feature!

Edited by krispn
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

I think the Pod Go is an ideal form factor, I assume from the button spacing that it is the same size as the HX FX, but with a footpedal.

If they could put a full helix in that (even at helix price), I would get it.

Here’s my thinking. I loved the HFX for its extra foot switches, and more visual indications. For live use it was fine. Just a bit of chorus, phaser, Sub octave and filter, normally with BDDi on all the time. None totally necessary though. I had 3 patches set up, with a few variations, but nothing major. What I hated was the need to put comp/HPF/EQ in each patch. Yes, easy to do, but if I tweaked one, I’d need to do some cut and pasting. This would be at a gig or rehearsal. Not the end of the world, but still.

I do all my home playing with the Stomp. Just an amp and cab, a bit of OD (maybe) and Comp. headphone out with the iPad playing through it. Advantages for live use is the Global EQ and HPF/LPF. When I used the Stomp live these were great time savers. Just a bit of global tweaking meant I didn’t have to go in to patches. Useful for bad stages/acoustics, not for tone shaping. I couldn’t really justify keeping the HFX, as it wasn’t getting used much, due to lack of gigs so I sold it. I still think the Stomp is a bit cluttered and fiddly to use as a one box do it all for me. With my big feet it’s been moved a few times and seems a bit unstable. The idea of one of these things is to replace a board, so Im taking a step back and putting it on one. 
I do t really do a lot of experimenting with tones and paths. I just don’t have a need for them, although I get how useful they are.

Looking at the Pod, it has the global EQ stuff, headphone out and all the tones I’d ever need, all in a slightly larger HFX style box. Seems perfect to me. 

10 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I think the Pod Go is an ideal form factor, I assume from the button spacing that it is the same size as the HX FX, but with a footpedal.

If they could put a full helix in that (even at helix price), I would get it.

It looks like the spacing is the same. A bit wider would be great but I can live with this.
I think I’m talking myself in to buying it sooner rather than later now. 

Do / did any of you Helix owners have a SA Aftershock?

I view the AS as being a drive multifx and given there is such a wide range of drive effects on the Helix, I'm thinking the AS is not going to get too much use going forward and it's time to move it on.

Just wondering whether any of you held onto your Aftershocks after getting a Helix and are managing to put it to good use?

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

I still believe that at some point in a few years, with companies snapping at their heels, they will make something which is the same as a full helix in an FX sized case. But not for a while yet.

The competition is already on it: https://neuraldsp.com/quad-cortex

Line 6 may be needing to respond sooner than we think! 

1 hour ago, dave_bass5 said:

Here’s my thinking. I loved the HFX for its extra foot switches, and more visual indications. For live use it was fine. Just a bit of chorus, phaser, Sub octave and filter, normally with BDDi on all the time. None totally necessary though. I had 3 patches set up, with a few variations, but nothing major. What I hated was the need to put comp/HPF/EQ in each patch. Yes, easy to do, but if I tweaked one, I’d need to do some cut and pasting. This would be at a gig or rehearsal. Not the end of the world, but still.

I think the difference for me is that I didn't use patches, I use it like a bank of effects on one patch. Well, actually I have another patch that I use for a set of completely different songs (and another for another group).

So I have a bit of narrow echo on all the time. The amp has the tone controls and the compressor, and I have a separate HPF. I need the pedalboard anyway as I need wireless, sample playback and keys so it has to be small enough to fit in that. This is why I am getting rid of the LT. If I didn't have the keys I would stick with the LT, it is clearly better, or if I was a guitarist., especially a non singing, non keyboard playing one. 

6 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I think the difference for me is that I didn't use patches, I use it like a bank of effects on one patch. Well, actually I have another patch that I use for a set of completely different songs (and another for another group).

So I have a bit of narrow echo on all the time. The amp has the tone controls and the compressor, and I have a separate HPF. I need the pedalboard anyway as I need wireless, sample playback and keys so it has to be small enough to fit in that. This is why I am getting rid of the LT. If I didn't have the keys I would stick with the LT, it is clearly better, or if I was a guitarist., especially a non singing, non keyboard playing one. 

you can run two separate paths on the LT can't you, not considered having one for bass and one for adding effects to the keys? 

.... on a different note:

I've just got a Yamaha MD BT01 Bluetooh MIDI controller and the Touch OSC app for my iPhone SE. I've managed to get most things working, however I can't work out a way to have a bank up/bank down command. The preset up down works via emulating FS 1 and FS 2, but I can't find a way of going up banks as opposed to presets. 

Anyone managed to do this?

Edited by jimbobothy
clarification

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

I think we are both pretty close to how we use them. When I say patches I’m talking about 6 different effects, which I turn on and off as needed in one patch.  Pretty much like a real pedalboard. I have (had) 3 of these, and each one only differed by maybe one effect, or I’d move the foot switches around. If there were songs I knew I’d want a certain effect, I’d maybe have that on the bottom row, but still have the u used ones on the top just I case. Nothing was ever set in stone. Each one will  have an always on HPF (in the parametric EQ block), and BDDI on. Neither on a foot switch. 
With the Pod I’ll still be able to do this, but with a global HPF and EQ so not taking up any blocks. Il grab one as soon as they are available at Andertons or the usual places. Then sell the stomp. 

1 hour ago, LukeFRC said:

you can run two separate paths on the LT can't you, not considered having one for bass and one for adding effects to the keys? 

The keys have all the effects they need, so never really tried it. When gigging the synth sounds come from the iPad (and I don't have the LT).

27 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

I think we are both pretty close to how we use them. When I say patches I’m talking about 6 different effects, which I turn on and off as needed in one patch.  Pretty much like a real pedalboard. 

Yep, pretty well how I use it.  I like the paths thing because I have a distortion which is pitch dependant, in that the bass goes through a soft overdrive and the treble goes to a harsher distortion. On one pedal though.  I do like you can overload whatever pedals you want.