Why become a member? ×

An interesting.. I'm going to get a bunch of fives at this rate!

Bridgehouse

I've got some gear up for sale at the moment. It's all stuff I've just not used for a while, so it ought to go, and hopefully it is.. 

Recently I put my big boys pants on and got a fretless. It's brilliant and I'm loving the fretless thing. 

Now, I'm wondering if I should go even more big big brave boy and get a 5 string. 

And then I think "maybe I could get a fretless five?" 🤔

But maybe I should do a fretted five first, cos, well, that would be less brave, wouldn't it?

Edited by Bridgehouse

I happened to notice a few very nice-looking Schecter and Sandberg fretted fives on the FS section.

I can speak very highly of both companies' four-string basses, but I've not tried any of their fives. Not that I'd be an expert either way...I will not become a five-string owner until Wednesday afternoon.

3 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

I thought you’d withdrawn it tho? I need to move the 74 P on first!

I'm in 2 minds really. 

I withdrew it so I could go and see a physio about getting stronger, and I did, but she's also not sure exactly how much she can do after I've had 4 inguinal hernias and 1 para-umbilical hernia repairs. Probably too much damage already done.

8 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I'm in 2 minds really. 

I withdrew it so I could go and see a physio about getting stronger, and I did, but she's also not sure exactly how much she can do after I've had 4 inguinal hernias and 1 para-umbilical hernia repairs. Probably too much damage already done.

That's a shame. I think my first choice is an ACG (fretted or fretless) but like I said - got to shift some of this kit here first! The 74P and the EICH head need to go really.

1 hour ago, Bridgehouse said:

I think I'd prefer lined... but then again, there's some mighty lovely fretted 5's on the ACG site...

Broadly speaking, lines on a fretless are pointless - you can't see them when you're playing, can you?

If you can, try and have a go on a fretless with "fret-end markers" like this:

CIMG0142.jpg

All the comfort blanket of a fretted bass, but to the audience (and the rest of the band) you look like a fretless-playing God.

If you can't find one with the markers already in place, any decent luthier will insert them into the unlined fretless of your choice for very little money.

Sir Bridgehouse: my choice would be unlined. Those fretboards do not look so good with lines and even worse with the dots. And as Mr. Happy Jack said, you can't even see them. Why bother? (But glow in the dark side dots help.)

By the way, your fourstringer looks fabulous, just like the fivestringer up there somewhere.

My life with a five string bass did not start very well. It took quite a lot of time - probably around six months - but then those "oh dear, instead of C I played G" stopped. It just took time. Now I can change basses because I anchor my fingers (mentally) starting from the highest string, so G. A while ago I tried to play a four string tuned HEAD but this did not work for me. Reading notes and not looking the fretboard just does not happen. Old dog does not even learn old tricks anymore...

Edited by itu
a glowing addition
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Bridgehouse said:

I've got some gear up for sale at the moment. It's all stuff I've just not used for a while, so it ought to go, and hopefully it is.. 

Recently I put my big boys pants on and got a fretless. It's brilliant and I'm loving the fretless thing. 

Now, I'm wondering if I should go even more big big brave boy and get a 5 string. 

And then I think "maybe I could get a fretless five?" 🤔

But maybe I should do a fretted five first, cos, well, that would be less brave, wouldn't it?

Why go five when you can go six?  Brave the elements and go 6 unlined fretless. That’s what separates the men from the boys 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, itu said:

A while ago I tried to play a four string tuned HEAD but this did not work for me. 

That would have done my head in, too.

:) 

I have a professionally defretted Bolin NS5 I am considering moving on if you fancied moving straight into the deep end :) 

10 hours ago, Bridgehouse said:

Steady on there! One step at a time...

All joking aside I just assumed you played 5 and 6 string basses. I started playing 5 strings in 1997 and I have never looked back. I found it an easy transition. 

I was also playing a lot of jazz at the time and I just got the same bass just fretless and no lines and my fingers already had the muscle memory so it was a lot easier than you think to take that plunge. 

It was a six string actually so playing the G and C string was a bit strange just because your eye is not used to it. It all just comes down to put in the practice time and you are good to gig. 

Just now, bassbora said:

All joking aside I just assumed you played 5 and 6 string basses. I started playing 5 strings in 1997 and I have never looked back. I found it an easy transition. 

I was also playing a lot of jazz at the time and I just got the same bass just fretless and no lines and my fingers already had the muscle memory so it was a lot easier than you think to take that plunge. 

It was a six string actually so playing the G and C string was a bit strange just because your eye is not used to it. It all just comes down to put in the practice time and you are good to gig. 

No, I’m a 4’s man at the mo. I’d like to try 5 now. 

Anyone who knows my history will know that “try” normally means spending an obscene amount of money and having something a bit exotic

• Haha 2