Why become a member? ×

Prep for audition/first meet

lowlandtrees

14 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

You don't hear much from the Canadian music scene right enough other than the very famous ones like Rush and Bryan Adams and sure there are a few more. 

You don't generally hear about the ones just below that level. 

Is it really that bad in Canada ?

Dave

The underground metal/punk scene is doing just fine.  I'm off to see the Cancer Bats this very night, Voivod just put a great new album out and I await the Flatliner's next album and tour

In more mainstream news, ahem, Nickelback *retires gracefully and grabs tin hat*

• Like 1

10 hours ago, StringNavigator said:

I guess if one lives in Las Vegas, they take stardom for granted. They're everywhere, supermarkets, gas stations... People in Washington D.C. take job security and pensions for granted. People in California take everything for granted. If you live in the UK where tourism is a way of making a living instead of manufacturing, everyone drinks, goes to pubs, listens to live music, (4000 per wedding!?), and depends upon Big Brother to divvy out the dole when they hit a rough patch (and they still can make money under the table in a black market), then I guess it's hard to imagine a place where music has died.

People in Kansas do without French cuisine. People in Alaska do without people. People in Seattle get wet and people in Chicago get shot. I'm sure that in the UK you have learned to live with less than your first world counterparts. But I'd be the last to try and sound like a hero and explain how I live off the stock market in North America. Or describe the water while you're drowning. I tried to discuss a real issue that will soon affect you, too. But instead all I got was pop-psych and psycho-babble. No one wants a gu-ru. I'm simply stuck in a DNA locale where people think that a good ear is one that doesn't wax up. Where music is becoming a thing that older people used to do.

AI is a small thing with a great affect. When the first record was turned, live music began to die. Millions died with it, in essence. Music was a career for many talented people. Just as we can now create anything with 3D software, causing millions more to become unemployable, and manual skills to become useless. Like the video, I decry the loss of music, and we are seeing it in this part of the world first, because there is always a lag across the Atlantic Yes, The Beatles were merely a product copy of American R&B and later a poor man's copy of Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys. The cascading shut-down of music venues as property values go through the roof is unstoppable. But you cannot see the train, because it hasn't hit you yet. But that shouldn't make you chuff... Trains always appear to be farther than they are. And they used to kill messengers.

My apologies for trying to offer a sympathic ear and what i thought were words of encouragement.

Yes i have friends aged 60 and 70+ that are still gigging almost every weekend to UK residents and not for the tourist trade.

Perhaps we don't have a negative outlook on life. 

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

14 hours ago, StringNavigator said:

Yes, but how many years have we been worshipping at the altar of "Great Canadian Icons"... The Guess Who and Gordon Lightfoot? Really? They're entering Old Age Homes now as we speak. And these newer wannabee favourites aren't well-known famous. I'm not paying $437.95 CDN to watch their sorry sixty minute stage occupation. 

I'm into the hobby-band,  weekend-warrior type of old man's shed bands. I would never call myself a pro and 99% of musicians in Toronto work for free. Half of them pay to play at a bar. I almost have a belly laugh when I see ads placed by "professional bass players"... How did they become "professional"? As a kid I played two shows with JL Hooker and met BB King in one night. That didn't make me a "pro". I have been paid, but that doesn't make me a professional musician, either.

It also seems that in Toronto, there's a perceived difference between ages 58 and 64. "Oh, I'm 42 and a half,  but I look much younger...I act young for my age... you wouldn't know it..." That's how desperate it is here. Hair tint products are flying off the shelves. But I diverse... 

But it's hard for a retired guy to pick up and move to a more artistic clime. They actually cut your pensions depending on which country you go to.

I guess I'm waking from denial to anger as I slowly realise that the paradigm has changed. Music as I know it has disappeared. Not changed into a new generation's way of playing, but quickly vanishing. Exponentially in the past three years. Just when I have the time to play till the sun sets, I feel like I've been placed by aliens into that twilight zone episode where there's only one guy left, who always wanted to be alone, and now he is... with a store full of mannequins. But I have to rig them up to fan motors with belts to make them move and appear "human"...  like in Home Alone. Hey, that's not a bad idea... kind of a Devo thing, eh...? You know, I'm watching way to many House DVD's. 

image.jpeg.64b0de50ec1bbd0f7c61233f037cfa07.jpeg

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Yes i have friends aged 60 and 70+ that are still gigging almost every weekend to UK residents and not for the tourist trade.

I have friends in Canada that are still gigging most weekends. Don't know who their audience is, I never asked. I presume that it is all Brian Adams and Shania Twain covers? :)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I have friends in Canada that are still gigging most weekends. Don't know who their audience is, I never asked. I presume that it is all Brian Adams and Shania Twain covers? :)

And a few Rush covers of course. :D

• Like 1

I should have heard alarm bells when I got my place in my first band without an audition. I believe I would have passed, and I also believe i would not have spotted the problems that led to my leaving, and them soon after breaking up. But it was a sign of the BL's uncritical attitude, which was at the root of many of the problems. 

It's not just them auditioning you, it's also about you figuring out whether you want to be with them. 

15 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Yes i have friends aged 60 and 70+ that are still gigging almost every weekend to UK residents and not for the tourist trade. Perhaps we don't have a negative outlook on life. 

Must be Canadian tourists.

I hear that the EU is looking for a few good positive people. They're calling their new program, Brentry, where the dog comes back with a winning lottery ticket in his mouth, the van gets repaired by the insurance company at no cost, the best friend dumps your wife, the wife returns in a thong with a case of Foster's and you win that new ruby red Rickenbacker bass from Sweetwater's Monthly Gear Giveaway..., Then you wake up and can remember the whole dream. 

Image result for uk rickenbacker bass cherry red

• Haha 1

I think my old ad was too short (Bass Player Available). Besides the supermarket cart-boy keeps removing it from the board. I think he's a bass player, too. Most of them are. So, I'm placing another ad. I found out about this CL on the world wide web and put together this ad. I wonder if anyone would care to critique it. I'm desperate for any constructive advice that only a pro can muster. Hopefully, I'm knocking on the right door. I'm not having much luck over the years. Can't even find a 25 minute slot in an audition. I do get other bass player smart-derrières spamming my letter box, though. One feller said if I wanted to stop looking stupid that I should kill myself! That sent me into a tailspin of depression. After re-watching a few episodes of House MD, I cheered right up and realised that my real failing, my true and tragic miss-step, was due to my lack of humanity. And disregard for positive change. I just wasn't chatty enough. I even included my gear this time because a smart lookin' fellow on Bass Chat said that guitards love it when you mention gear. I added some constraints at the end to avoid the horde of bad actors prevalent today in the music biz. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, for like Ruth Ellis, I'm at the end of my rope.

The Trick To Finding A Good Bass Player Is To Know When To Stop Looking!

Bass Player Available
Bass Guitar or Double Bass
Ampeg Gear + Vehicle
All musical styles considered

I'm seeking an established or start-up band, featuring female vocals and performing a wide range of danceable hit covers to entertain an audience. I'd like to meet other serious but amenable musicians who enjoy  playing for fun or profit. Please contact me for jam sessions or an audition.

I'm a versatile musician with experience in vintage and current musical styles to reach a wide audience:
Sixties Soul, Disco
Jazz and Blues covers or improvisation in any style
R&B dance hits and ballads influenced by Latin, Boogaloo, Funk, Gospel, New Orleans, Caribbean
Jump Blues, 50's Rock&Roll and Doo-Wop
Classic Rock, British Invasion to New Wave, Beatles to AC/DC...
Traditional and New Country, Country Rock, Southern Rock, Rockabilly, Cajun
Reggae, Ska, Rock Steady, Calypso, Soca and Steel Pan
Popular Vocalists of the Big Bands, Swing, Dixieland, Waltz/Polka and Latin dance rhythms

As a bassist, I strive to present a polished sound and superb bass tone to project a solid band presence on any stage or venue. For this reason I've chosen to string my basses with heavy-gauge, flat-wound strings and play both fingerstyle and with a plectrum. I play a Fender Jazz Bass, Fender Precision fretless bass, and the double bass to be able to invoke the original vibe that made the song a hit.

I've selected Ampeg gear to fill any sized venue:
300W Classic SVT 8x10"
200W Rocket Combo 1x15" +horn
40W BA-110V2 1x10"

A small set of floor pedals sharpens the bass signal: line driver, equaliser, maximiser, volume pedal   

I prepare at home for rehearsals with a Tascam CD-BT2. Key changes are not a problem. 

Good discussion starters:
Set-list (performance sequence, title/artist, your singer's key),
Line-up (current and desired),
Rehearsals (schedule, location, cost),
Performance (intentions, audience, venues, region, local/touring),
Age range, if any.

Band experience has taught me the following:

Be loyal and reliable and show up for rehearsals prepared, prompt and paying your one's share of expenses
Expect and deliver mutual respect, good behaviour and polite language
Never speak about anyone at anytime 
Play hit covers only, as close to the original as possible to avoid tedious rearranging
Put an effort into one's stage appearance, patter, gestures and movements 
Work from consensus and equally distribute any compensation
Pay-as-you-go with no band overhead, debts or tax issues
Confront manipulative people
Shine a light on dirt and use strong disinfectant 

Never be a temporary replacement or pursue multiple projects
Never micro-manage another's playing or even give advice, as we should all be equals 
Never sell strong opinions within the group regarding politics, religion or finances
Never suffer previous bass players lurking about or anyone turning up at gigs to sit-in
Never allow the band room to become a marketplace for potential customers or clients
Never allow in-house power struggles

Avoid bands with habitual users of any substance
Avoid songwriters, track producers, virtuosos, and "pro's"
Avoid self-appointed band leaders with no studio, book of charts, famous name with a draw, or connections
Avoid bands where friends or family are tending band operations or replacing band members

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

I don't know if I should include the remaining in my ad, because the wording may be a little strong

and it may insult some of the rascals I'm describing and I'll get kicked off of CL!. But it sure would dissuade the bad ones!.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

Multiple-project fly-by-night band-hoppers

Bands that just can't seem to hold-on to their bass players

Bands with their old bass player lurking about 
Bands so desperate for a temp BP that they will lead you on - until the old one returns
Bands with debts or covert overheads or back taxes requesting your signature (and you lose your house!)
Bands who suck in a new BP cuz the old BP ran away from thousands in unpaid studio time and unsold CD's
Manipulative personalities, including phonies, sneaks, liars, cons, rats, weasels and snakes
Bands that change out members for friends as they begin to gain success
Unequal distribution of compensation (there's always some reason)
Occasional Turn-ups and Absentee Musicians
Someone who can never cough up their part of expenses
Bands that gradually weasel their friends/family into the band (suddenly they're getting a salary and expenses)
Bands with bass player friends who always turn up at gigs to sit-in - with your gear!  
Buddy buys a bass as a second instrument, "Cuz its easy!", and now he thinks, "Hey! I'm a bass player too!" 
Armchair-bassists and other bass line micro-managers
Self-appointed band-leaders with no talent, no name, no draw, no studio, no gigs, no charts!?
Self-induced virtuosos or anyone that refers to themselves as a "pro" without laughing
Songwriters trolling for dupes to play their melodramatic drivel
Originals and other anti-dance music genres
Petty re-arranging of hit songs in a vain attempt to look original (and creative!)
Band-room potheads or intoxicated zombies. Maybe both.
Band-room smoochers, making googlie eyes at the singer, related band members, cult members, Fraternites
Band-room politicos, sellers and other pests
Bands cashing in on tragic yet trendy T. Hip tributes
Look-alike tributes
Musicians posting ads who are really undercover producers selling tracks on an album that you'll be paying for

Edited by StringNavigator
added weasels

6 hours ago, StringNavigator said:

Must be Canadian tourists.

I hear that the EU is looking for a few good positive people. They're calling their new program, Brentry, where the dog comes back with a winning lottery ticket in his mouth, the van gets repaired by the insurance company at no cost, the best friend dumps your wife, the wife returns in a thong with a case of Foster's and you win that new ruby red Rickenbacker bass from Sweetwater's Monthly Gear Giveaway..., Then you wake up and can remember the whole dream. 

Image result for uk rickenbacker bass cherry red

That only happens if you play a country song backwards.

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
On 16/09/2018 at 15:24, Maude said:

Please don't take this the wrong way as clearly I don't know you, but personal hygiene. As well as having all the musical side of it covered be clean, deodorised and have fresh breath. You'd be amazed at the amount of stinkers in this business. :)

Maybe I failed this part because in the only "audition" I had I wasn't even allowed to try to play