Why become a member? ×

Procrastination part 2 - or an interesting odd bass story

Bridgehouse

Sorted my recording valve head ordeal out. Phew.

Now onto the next one.  I have a hankering for a shortscale Gibson ish bass. I think. I keep looking at the early 70s slothead eb-0’s and thinking that dull voluminous thunder would fit in nicely as an oddball option. 

Then actually I think I just need a Gibson to round out the collection a bit. Or something like it. Or maybe sort of like it. Ish. 

Oh god, help me out here.

I have no frame of reference unfortunately, but I used to own this one (a little earlier in time than the black one on here) and it was a perfectly decent bass.  The tone you describe is certainly there but didn't suit either of the bands I play in.

1685235408_GrecoEB-35002.thumb.jpg.bedefd93a6068c49fc902618f67d0b91.jpg731686380_GrecoEB-35001.thumb.jpg.50ff760d2711b6d09de4b8d1e11490ed.jpg

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, josie said:

Shortscale doesn't have to mean short neck... I swore I'd never have a shortscale until my EB-2 bit me in the leg

But if a short neck is what you want, you'll probably be immune to this 🙂

EB2.thumb.jpg.d7b27a03d427fb70bcc90cd062c7cac2.jpg

Gaaaaaaah! Yes, I’d have one. Might be too rich for my blood but I’d have one

5 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

Gaaaaaaah! Yes, I’d have one. Might be too rich for my blood but I’d have one

They do come up for sale now and then. Guide price £2k+. But do *not* buy one (or anything like it) without playing it. 

I went to visit my son in Nashville last year knowing I wanted one - the first one I tried (same year, seemingly same condition) was dead wood. This one jumped into my arms and sang 🙂 She's still there though, I can't afford to bring her back! 😞 

Just now, josie said:

They do come up for sale now and then. Guide price £2k+. But do *not* buy one (or anything like it) without playing it. 

I went to visit my son in Nashville last year knowing I wanted one - the first one I tried (same year, seemingly same condition) was dead wood. This one jumped into my arms and sang 🙂 She's still there though, I can't afford to bring her back! 😞 

I was thinking more around £1k for my short scale Gibson fetish, and also looked at Rivolis as well - all far too much money! I’ve got two basses that were well North of £2k and I’m not sure Mrs B would tolerate a 3rd :)

Mr Josie is not allowed to restrict my GAS. Sadly it seems this is not typical of BC members 😞

Sort of going back on topic, I know bass players who prefer short scale basses because they find the short neck easier to play, and one who will only play a Hofner violin-bass lookalike because he's obsessed with the Beatles. But otherwise I must be missing something... I love the sheer physical presence of a long-scale (or at least long-neck) bass. Sorry, size matters 😉 

I'd be interested to understand what I'm missing (not that I need GAS-fuel!) Seriously. 

Just now, josie said:

Mr Josie is not allowed to restrict my GAS. Sadly it seems this is not typical of BC members 😞

Sort of going back on topic, I know bass players who prefer short scale basses because they find the short neck easier to play, and one who will only play a Hofner violin-bass lookalike because he's obsessed with the Beatles. But otherwise I must be missing something... I love the sheer physical presence of a long-scale (or at least long-neck) bass. Sorry, size matters 😉 

I'd be interested to understand what I'm missing (not that I need GAS-fuel!) Seriously. 

I only have full scale basses. 

My 64 Precision has, for me, the greatest bass neck ever made. It’s long, really wide, highly radiused and pretty slim front to back. The rolled edges from 50+ years of playing make it a dream to play. The frets are tiny and with flats on its so subtle to play. 

I guess I want to dip my toes into the Gibson style of bass - I know they do long scale as well so maybe I should stick to that. I may hate it - I know I won’t know unless I try tho

My Greco was a 34" scale and from my recollection so is the one currently f/s.  I'm currently gassing over a very fine 32" scale ACG :ph34r:  Mum's the word of course and mention it not to the ever tolerant Mrs ead.

Just now, ead said:

My Greco was a 34" scale and from my recollection so is the one currently f/s.  I'm currently gassing over a very fine 32" scale ACG :ph34r:  Mum's the word of course and mention it not to the ever tolerant Mrs ead.

I have an ACG and it’s brilliant - but I guess I have a hankering for something a bit different!

Admired the Supros for some time and this post hasn’t done anything to relieve that. I’ll admit to some bias here, I’ve played a Gibson Ripper for much of the last 40 years. It’s a beautiful thing though not for everybody - a very big bass indeed. I’ve also played very many EB0s and EB3s – just a word of caution to try before you buy. The much discussed balance issues are very real. I play an Alembic Brown Bass too (an EB3 clone) and it’s almost impossible for me on a strap (though lovely if playing sat down). Some of the high-end Epiphones are worth consideration and should only swallow half of the budget (change for a hipshot bridge!)

9 minutes ago, three said:

Admired the Supros for some time and this post hasn’t done anything to relieve that. I’ll admit to some bias here, I’ve played a Gibson Ripper for much of the last 40 years. It’s a beautiful thing though not for everybody - a very big bass indeed. I’ve also played very many EB0s and EB3s – just a word of caution to try before you buy. The much discussed balance issues are very real. I play an Alembic Brown Bass too (an EB3 clone) and it’s almost impossible for me on a strap (though lovely if playing sat down). Some of the high-end Epiphones are worth consideration and should only swallow half of the budget (change for a hipshot bridge!)

I’ve been half eyeing up the natural Rivoli on here as well and it’s tempting!

1 hour ago, Grahambythesea said:

Aren’t the slot head EB3’s long scale?

No there are short scale slot head EB3s. I have a 1969 walnut Gibson slot head EB3, handsome deep, deep booming sound with a variety of tones from the 4 position selector switch. Bought new in 1970 while working at the Sound Centre in Cardiff.

Edited by JohnDaBass
Spelling

2 hours ago, three said:

. I’ve also played very many EB0s and EB3s – just a word of caution to try before you buy. The much discussed balance issues are very real. I play an Alembic Brown Bass too (an EB3 clone) and it’s almost impossible for me on a strap (though lovely if playing sat down)

I’ve moved the strap button on my EB3 from the body onto the base of the neck.  Only moved a few centimetres, but has made a noticeable difference.  I covered the original hole by putting a short screw in it and adding a black plastic screw cover.

6 minutes ago, Baxlin said:

I’ve moved the strap button on my EB3 from the body onto the base of the neck.  Only moved a few centimetres, but has made a noticeable difference.  I covered the original hole by putting a short screw in it and adding a black plastic screw cover.

Excellent idea - I'd do something similar but don't want to put another hole in the Alembic.  Scrumpymike had a brilliant hand-crafted solution (involving advanced fabrication skills) - well-beyond me but a neat idea that isn't really feasible given production start-up costs (unfortunately).

Back on topic - I took a look at the Rivoli, it looks beautiful!

I've had a change of heart..

I have an old vintage Guild acoustic which the original owner wants back and that means a big cash injection into the bass fund. Added to the AVRI precision that's now pending sale, it's a healthy pot. 

Having chatted to Mrs B, she's raised the spectre..... 

..."why don't you get a nice fretless and try that?"

I feel a different thread coming on..