Why become a member? ×

What do you value about your local music shop?

MiltyG565

On 17/03/2024 at 14:45, Maude said:

Another nail in their coffin, I think, is that playing musical instruments just isn't as popular as it was years ago.

I don't think this is true. Lots of people have taken up new hobbies during the various lockdowns we've had during the COVID pandemic. Picking up a musical instrument surely was one of them :)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Crusoe said:

One of the shops local to me, Matchetts, is actually quite competitive with the other online retailers when it comes to price (they do have online shopping too, which can be handy for click and collect). but they do offer a lot of other services too. They have instructional sessions, where you can book in and they will show you basic set-up techniques, for example; how to change strings, tune up, check the action and so on. They had a guy in from D'Addario a while back to demonstrate the new Xpand pedal board. I got a free t-shirt and won a tuning pedal. I had a guitar lesson last week and my tutor had bought a new PRS guitar and asked if I wanted to try it. I gave him my Ibanez and he was raving about the set up on it. I'd done nothing to the set-up; that was all down to the guys in the shop. He liked it so much that he wants to borrow it to make some videos for his business social media accounts. 

Are you in Belfast/Belfast area? Matchett's carries a good range of guitars and basses, helped by the fact that they are a Fender dealer. Also, multiple locations in the city centre helps to be able to speculate on carrying a broader range of goods.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, BigRedX said:

The problem with all music shops is that now we have the internet to see what is available throughout the world they can no longer carry sufficient range of stock whether it be picks and stings, high-tech instruments and effects or anything in between to satisfy anyone other than those with the most mainstream of tastes. And nor should we expect them to.

I think you're right. It's hard to justify pouring thousands of pounds into stock that's likely to sit for months, or years, with little to no interest. However, as with most independent retailers, you can usually ask them to order in some specifically. Even small shops will be working with about 10 different distributors which represent basically most major brands and probably all minor brands in the UK market. They might even be willing to cut a good deal on it if it's a quick turnaround and quick profit for them.

When it came to strings and stuff like that, we carried quite a varied range, because they were cheap and I was in charge of it, but I'd always be happy to order in something special on request. The fact is, though, most people don't know a lot about strings, and so the best selling strings are always the bog standard Ernie Balls, D'Addario nickel wound, and Phosphor Bronze for acoustic guitar. Occasionally somebody would ask for a set of Nashvilles or something (and I kept a pack just in case!) but not really often enough to justify really keeping any significant quantity on hand.

Bearing in mind though that this was a small shop in a small market town about halfway between really the only 2 major cities in Northern Ireland (i.e. not close to either of them).

Edited by MiltyG565

1 hour ago, MiltyG565 said:

I think you're right. It's hard to justify pouring thousands of pounds into stock that's likely to sit for months, or years, with little to no interest. However, as with most independent retailers, you can usually ask them to order in some specifically. Even small shops will be working with about 10 different distributors which represent basically most major brands and probably all minor brands in the UK market. They might even be willing to cut a good deal on it if it's a quick turnaround and quick profit for them.

If the shop has to order something in I might as well buy it on line. It will be delivered directly to my front door and probably quicker too.

This might be down to the fact that the last time I relied on one of my local music shops to order something for me (a box of 100 Herco Flex 75 picks) it took over a month and twice when I had been told they had received them it turned out to be the wrong item. This is for something that should be a simple order from the distributor (String & Things).

Lots of interesting responses in this thread. Obviously, some local music shops are great and some are dire. 

The nearest music shop to me is about 3 hours and 40 minutes away, and involves an hour and 15 minute walk to the nearby town to catch a train to the nearest city, and then catch a shuttle bus that takes me out to a commercial trading estate off a motorway junction. And when you get there it looks great - it’s bright and clean, well stocked and full of all manner of stringed instruments, pianos, brass and woodwind instruments, some drums and synths, plus accessories of all kinds. 

Problem is, on the occasions I’ve visited they’ve never had what I’ve wanted, or even a close equivalent, and they seem unable or unwilling to order items in especially. And I’m not exactly after niche gear. Or maybe flatwound strings are niche down here? So I no longer bother even phoning them. And most things I buy come from Thomann now, who usually have what I need and will deliver it to my door. If they’re out of stock of something I need then chances are Bax France will have it. And they’re just as professional over here as Thomann. Their reputation varies elsewhere but over here, they’ve been 100% reliable for me for years.

I know folks (understandably) moan about poor in-store customer service but bricks and mortar shops that can’t do the business properly aren’t worth bothering with. I’ve done music retail and it’s not difficult to get right if you’ve got a positive attitude and can get on with suppliers and keep your customers on your side.

Having said that, I’ve seen some great music shops in the UK sadly close their doors permanently over the last 15-20 years and if they can’t make it, then that’s not a good sign for future generations of musicians.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, meterman said:

Lots of interesting responses in this thread. Obviously, some local music shops are great and some are dire. 

The nearest music shop to me is about 3 hours and 40 minutes away, and involves an hour and 15 minute walk to the nearby town to catch a train to the nearest city, and then catch a shuttle bus that takes me out to a commercial trading estate off a motorway junction. And when you get there it looks great - it’s bright and clean, well stocked and full of all manner of stringed instruments, pianos, brass and woodwind instruments, some drums and synths, plus accessories of all kinds. 

Problem is, on the occasions I’ve visited they’ve never had what I’ve wanted, or even a close equivalent, and they seem unable or unwilling to order items in especially. And I’m not exactly after niche gear. Or maybe flatwound strings are niche down here? So I no longer bother even phoning them. And most things I buy come from Thomann now, who usually have what I need and will deliver it to my door. If they’re out of stock of something I need then chances are Bax France will have it. And they’re just as professional over here as Thomann. Their reputation varies elsewhere but over here, they’ve been 100% reliable for me for years.

I know folks (understandably) moan about poor in-store customer service but bricks and mortar shops that can’t do the business properly aren’t worth bothering with. I’ve done music retail and it’s not difficult to get right if you’ve got a positive attitude and can get on with suppliers and keep your customers on your side.

Having said that, I’ve seen some great music shops in the UK sadly close their doors permanently over the last 15-20 years and if they can’t make it, then that’s not a good sign for future generations of musicians.

I feel that basically the only thing setting music shops aside from online retailers is the service. If the service isn’t there, then why would you bother spending half a day getting there?

In a world where you can buy online and have it at your door in a couple of days, and it’s cheaper than the shop, why wouldn’t you do that if your local shop can’t even offer you good service?

This is what I mean when I say all businesses are competing globally now. It’s not really the other shops they need to worry about, it’s differentiating themselves from the online marketplace, and perhaps taking a slice of that too.

For many consumers, being local is not what matters to people, and I am always frustrated when small local businesses can only say “support local business” as an argument to give them my custom. Why? You need to have a better reason.

• Like 2

What I value about the local music shop (Kingfisher Music, Fleet, Hants) of my youth is that the World Wide Web killed them off. No more having to put up with the smug, sneering staff who would belittle me every time I went there to buy something. Regardless of whether it was picks, strings or an actual big ticket item like a bass cabinet they'd always find some way to have a dig, such as:

"Oh, you play with a pick, so you're not a real bass player then".

"I wondered who was still using crap like Rotosound strings".

"Well it's not much of a bass cabinet, doesn't even have a Speakon connector".

That last one about a behemoth Peavey 1820 cabinet I had special ordered from the US, which I then "accidentally" dropped on the twerp of a shop assistant's foot.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, chriswareham said:

What I value about the local music shop (Kingfisher Music, Fleet, Hants) of my youth is that the World Wide Web killed them off. No more having to put up with the smug, sneering staff who would belittle me every time I went there to buy something. Regardless of whether it was picks, strings or an actual big ticket item like a bass cabinet they'd always find some way to have a dig, such as:

"Oh, you play with a pick, so you're not a real bass player then".

"I wondered who was still using crap like Rotosound strings".

"Well it's not much of a bass cabinet, doesn't even have a Speakon connector".

That last one about a behemoth Peavey 1820 cabinet I had special ordered from the US, which I then "accidentally" dropped on the twerp of a shop assistant's foot.

I have withheld my business from places for lesser transgressions than this.

From a film hire company owner saying, sarcastically "That's a great car for carrying gear" about my Jaguar XE. I'm not saying he was wrong, he wasn't, it just was unnecessary, and I didn't like it, so that was that. It may be petty, but luckily I get to choose who I do business with.

• Like 2

We only have 2 music stores in my town. One is primarily sheet music and band instrument rental for the High School. Not a place for buying gear.

The other store provides a lot of lessons for guitar , bass and keys. Again not a place to buy gear.

Daryl

• Like 1

This is rather pertinent at the moment, as my mate Tony is closing down his small independent music shop at the end of the month. 

Unfortunately, despite keeping going for years against the odds, he just can't carry on any longer in the face of competition from online stores, the fallout from the pandemic, falling footfall, higher costs (rent, rates, etc), declining interest in music and the appalling way that many of the big distributors treat the smaller shops. I used to say that if he could stock stuff that he needed I would buy from him rather than online, but he said that he just couldn't put in big enough orders to get the gear that I would want. I did buy a Les Paul Special off him a bit ago (a commission sale), which was cool, but he just couldn't get the turnover to keep the shop viable. 

It is a shame to see a friend lose his business, but that is the way of the world for many smaller independent retail businesses these days. When I was a kid, there were quite a few, reasonably large music shops around. These were places that we would all go to hang out, try out gear that we would then save up to buy, meet new friends and potential band mates, get advice and ad-hoc lessons from older musicians, etc. You don't get that from the big online box movers... 

Edited by peteb
  • Sad 2

Mid Wales Music, Newtown. A great survivor of what a music shop should be.  Bought 2 x G&Ls from them (1990? 2018?) and a Clifton EUB.  Plenty of other kit as well.  A good selection of new and used kit with some really interesting basses and guitars passing through at sane prices.  Well worth a visit if you are on the way to Mid /West Wales. What do I value, all the previous, great customer support, local knowledge and the kit is there to try.    The website gives a flavour but it is not a 'live' up to date stock. Ring and speak to Phil if you are looking for anything specific.

9 hours ago, 3below said:

Mid Wales Music, Newtown

They are indeed excellent! I bought my Sandberg from them quite a few years ago and pop in whenever I'm in Newtown...

Also recommend my local music shop, Knighton Music, though only really for guitars; they have a huge selection of just about anything you can think of! Not much bass unfortunately, but I bought my Parker from them.

• Like 1

I had worked at 2 biggest music stores at my country, together 7 years, but then right beside one of them opened a new store. As i needed a new strings quickly i called that new store and asked if they got them - the answer was yes. So i went to them and bought the strings. The sellers were smart and very anticipating. They said - go on and check our bass colection. I saw a 5 string MIA Fender jb and asked them if i can try it out. They said - sure, which amp, cab or combo do You want. I said - Fender rumble will be ok. So i played for 10 minutes. They said - maybe another one. I said thanks guys and went home. Next time i wanted strings, i called them again and ordered by a parcel way. Next time i called, they allready knew my tel.number and said - Hi Nils, what are You interested in...

Now i have used only that shop for pedals, strings and some different stuff. Always happy with a deal. 

• Like 1

What do I value about my local music shop? 

The Miserable ignoring of customers when they walk in. 

The useless stock levels of anything bass wise. 

The lies that they have things in stock, but turns out it's in their warehouse, but wont deal with it because you need to order online. 

Their sky high prices. 

The absolute miserable attitude to being helpful to you whilst you are trying to give them your money. 

The complete arrogant attitude when you walk in and the look an aristocrat gives to a street walker. 

As you can tell, I don't like mine. And it's a big chain store. And 5 mins walk from my house. I gave it another chance recently and having been greeted with a grunt, and then told by the assistant still eating his dinner that the only bass strings they stock are daddrio xl and they're £40, I walked out, not to return again for another 5 years. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, la bam said:

...the only bass strings they stock are daddrio xl and they're £40

Unforgivable. As I said before, strings are cheap, so it's worthwhile carrying at least a small variety of them! When it came to bass, we stocked Rotosound, D'Addario, Elixir, and Ernie Ball, with a good "mainstream" selection of each brand, and a couple of something more exotic, like flats/half rounds, steels, NYXL, etc. If a small place can do it, it should be the easiest thing in the world for a chain to do it! My personal preference is D'Addario XL steels, but it's not the job of the shop to dictate to their customers what they should string their instrument with, although I would occasionally have discussions with customers about what they liked in a string and made suggestions based on that.

• Like 3