Why become a member? ×

Do Bassists always get slagged off

arabassist

To quote Chris Dale:

I can’t get a job cause I can’t get out of bed.
I can’t go to college cause I’ve nothing in my head.
I can’t play drums and I can’t really sing
I’ve tried to play guitar but it’s got far too many strings
I’ll play bass

It’s got four strings; I only use two.
I’ve never worked out what the others do.
I play bass
I’m happy here just strumming along
But I’m still not sure how to play this song
I play bass

Here we are in another verse
The first was bad this can’t be worse
I play bass
Still don’t know quite why I’m here
Never mind, I’ll get another beer
I play bass

NOW WE COME TO THAT PART OF THE SONG
THAT ALWAYS SEEMS TO GO ON FOR SO LONG
WE DON’T MIND IF YOU WANT TO NOD OFF
COS THE BASS PLAYER’S ABOUT TO SHOW OFF. GO

So if you can’t...
And if you can’t...
GO PLAY BASS

Even the drummer’s doin’ it

=====================================

And Chris Dale's the shizzle!

Any guitarist who thinks that simply has self-esteem issues. Why else would you go of your way to try making someone else feel small? I just pity them for their problems and then ignore them.

It is pretty sad though. If we take the "number of strings" argument, think about how many strings a piano has? Wow... I must be amazing to be able to play it. :)

When people ask me what I play I tend to say:

"I play bass. The gentleman's instrument."

The drummer calls me a failed guitarist every month or so, usually about 65% in jest. 40% if I'm trying to use an effect.

I strongly prefer simple basslines to technical playing.

Worrying about this stuff is all insecurity. Answering accusations by mentioning technical players is a futile excercise and encourages the thought of bass as either being 'super easy' OR 'chin-stroking time-signature-changing w***ery'.

It's all cool.

Playing all three staples for most band set-ups - guitar, bass, and drums - I don't encounter this much. Perhaps because I'm good enough to have secured work playing either at different times in life I don't notice the comments. Bass is just the instrument I prefer to play, and, for me, it's a more enjoyable instrument to express on, and write with.

But, in the dim and distant past, when this sort of thing has come up, I've always just smiled, and said, "Yeah, but a chord isn't a chord until I decide the root, mate". Twist the guitarist’s melon, move the root around sometime, just to demonstrate to him that none of the power is in his hands.

Simple answer is to suggest that halfway though a set you swap instruments. Tell them how impressive the audience would find this (it does go down really well I'm told). Think you might find they shut up ;-)

The other thing I remember is when myself and the drums in the old band were enjoying things so much we played a whole song without the guitar/vocals (who missed the intro cue). Didn't sound too bad as an instrumental (Bruce Thomas bass part) definately altered the balance in the band.

I tend to use the analogy of Guitar and Bass being like Skiing and Snowboarding.

Guitarists are Skiiers. Takes time to get the basics, a bit more technical and complex.

We, however, are boarders. Easier to get the simple stuff and get going, but hard to get good, and of course, much cooler.

And just to add - all bands i've played with have appreciated what I do, and the fact it's different to what they do. Not easier, not harder, just different.

Edited by Steve_nottm

[quote name='M4L666' post='339327' date='Nov 28 2008, 10:24 AM']So you mean it was just Cliff, Lars and James kicking ass (well, Cliff at any rate) those albums?[/quote]
Yep. Hammett just did the widdley widdley bollocks. Hetfield laid 6 or more identical guitar tracks using different gear. That's why it sounds so tight. Especially MoP.

EDIT - I believe the production on every non-Cliff LP has been sh*te - was he really producing them?

Edited by johnnylager

[quote name='joe_bass' post='339255' date='Nov 28 2008, 09:09 AM']I've found this is usually the remark of a noobie guitarist.[/quote]
Absolutely....
My brother is a VERY accomplished guitarist of about 30 years standing now. Grew up learning Clapton, Young, Van Halen etc whilst developing his own style. He can wipe the floor with most guitarists that I know. Now when he picks up the bass he wipes the floor with me!! Probably because I never had the patience to practise and the raw talent to begin with. However, when he hears me play he says that I can 'feel' the song much better than him. It's not about how dextruous or flash you can be... it's about how you can 'feel'.
I hope I've explained that so you can understand....

Nope, never had anything like that said to me. I'm lucky because all the bands I play with hold me in reverence. Are there really that many bad bass players out there??

In my rock trio the guitarist introduces me as, "possibly the greatest bass player to walk the planet." Obviously it's not true, but let him think it, anyway :)

Interesting debate.

I come from the background of being a drummer/bassist.

In my experience, its always the rhythm section in general which people don't appreciate. I have had so many 'you'll be fine...' type auditions. They just automatically assume, its only got 4 strings, or you're just hitting stuff.

A good response is to simply stop playing mid-song or guitar solo. They'll soon realise how important you are!

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='339599' date='Nov 28 2008, 01:59 PM']Nope, never had anything like that said to me. I'm lucky because all the bands I play with hold me in reverence. Are there really that many bad bass players out there??

In my rock trio the guitarist introduces me as, "possibly the greatest bass player to walk the planet." Obviously it's not true, but let him think it, anyway :huh:[/quote]

I always get introduced as the Baldest man on stage...... :)

[quote name='johnnylager' post='339540' date='Nov 28 2008, 12:59 PM']Yep. Hammett just did the widdley widdley bollocks. Hetfield laid 6 or more identical guitar tracks using different gear. That's why it sounds so tight. Especially MoP.

EDIT - I believe the production on every non-Cliff LP has been sh*te - was he really producing them?[/quote]

Hammett's rhythm is very tight though but The Het is a rock.

MoP = Epic.

Confused by what your trying to say man, the only Metallica albums with good/decent production are: Load, Re-Load and Garage Inc. and of course, Death Magnetic. The irony is the best ones they've made are the ones with the crappest mix...okay that dsoen't apply for St. Anger.

Anyways for guitarists who slag us off, ah well let them have their fun, we usually walk away with more respect and our dignity.

[quote name='arabassist' post='339001' date='Nov 27 2008, 10:30 PM']I'm just curious if all Bass-tards (bassists) get slagged off by their smaller, weaker and more feminine cousins: the G-tards (g**tarists).[/quote]

Never happens to me. If it did I'd just laugh in their face until it got awkward and they had to walk away.

I don't feel I have to prove myself to anyone else anymore and I don't see music as a competitive sport, so I wouldn't get into a slagging match.

[quote name='crez5150' post='339904' date='Nov 28 2008, 05:23 PM']I always get introduced as the Baldest man on stage...... :)[/quote]
As our drummer has alopecia, that's not going to happen to me... :huh:

versus

Not a lot in it, though - but I do have plenty of eyebrow... :huh: