Why become a member? ×

Looking To Try Out New Strings

Murph_Orpheus

I've always been happy with Elites Players (the nickel ones). They last really well and I've never had a dead string in a pack – which was a frequent occurrence with Rotos. I've got a mate who swears by Elixirs, and while they're nice strings, I don't see the justification for them to be 2-3x the price of most other strings.

Edited by ~tl

[quote name='Murph_Orpheus' post='338678' date='Nov 27 2008, 05:26 PM']Hey guys, I'm looking for suggestions to try out new strings. Mainly I've used Warwick Black Label over the last 2 years and before that it was Roto Sound and D'Addario. So, any suggestions? :)[/quote]

I'm just running in a new set of "Elites" Stadium Heavies 50 - 110. £13.95 post free from Stringsdirect. I think that's good value. It's early days, but at the moment I have zing and depth. Long scale is good enough for a 35" scale via bridge or like mine, 34" through-body.

Good luck with the search.
Balcro.

[quote name='5_string_death' date='Nov 27 2008, 10:16 PM' post='338993']
I'm thinking about trying out the Dean Markely Blue Steels soon, but I can't find a set in Derby. Anybody used them before?
Zach

Tried a set in a shop once on the store guys recommendation and thought they were awful, didnt like neither the feel or sound, that said ive got a friend who swears by them, i think with strings, like most other things a lot of the time you just have to try them out as while recommendations do help at the end of the day it comes down to your own personal taste.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='339691' date='Nov 28 2008, 03:15 PM']Try the Status hotwires. They seem to last a long time for me & I play live a lot. I've also tried the DR Marcus Miller FatBeams. They seem to be a lovely soft string with amazing tone as well. Especially good for Fenders.

Rich.[/quote]

+1 on the Hotwires.... plus decent pricing on bulk buys (6 sets)

[quote name='~tl' post='338897' date='Nov 27 2008, 08:35 PM']I've always been happy with Elites Players (the nickel ones). They last really well and I've never had a dead string in a pack – which was a frequent occurrence with Rotos. I've got a mate who swears by Elite, and while they're nice strings, I don't see the justification for them to be 2-3x the price of most other strings.[/quote]
Are you sure that it's Elite that your friend swears by? Slightly more expensive than Roto cheapies, in between Warwick Red and Yellow, going by Stringbusters prices, definitely not 2-3x the price of most others.

I mainly use Elite Stadium stainless 40-100 or 40-125.

[quote name='tauzero' post='340538' date='Nov 29 2008, 03:45 PM']Are you sure that it's Elite that your friend swears by? Slightly more expensive than Roto cheapies, in between Warwick Red and Yellow, going by Stringbusters prices, definitely not 2-3x the price of most others.

I mainly use Elite Stadium stainless 40-100 or 40-125.[/quote]
Oops, I meant Elixirs. It's me that swears by Elites :)

Edited by ~tl

I started using Picato (does anyone remember them?), because they were the cheapest I could find, nickel, I think, then Rotosound, then Bass Centre Elites. So this is 1983 to 2002, so using Elites from about 1986 to 2002.
Then I ordered some DR Hi Beams from the States and they feel and sound great, so I tried Lo Riders and they sound great with a little more tension.
I use Lo Riders on my 6 string, this gives a tighter B string and I use Hi Beams on my Jazz, my P bass has Status Hotwire flats on it and it sounds so funky, total Kool and the Gang "Funky Stuff" era.
The only problem is finding strings for my headless bass, it has Elites at the moment but I want to try out the Status strings, as their flats are so good.
I also use D'Addario Pro Steels, they are brilliant for the money if you get them from the States, not as cheap as 3 months ago but still way cheaper than getting them in this country. I get my DR's and D'Adds from the US.

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya,

I've just put a set of Elixirs on my '72 precision....and pricey though they maybe, they sound excellent and a huge improvement on the D'addarios I replaced (and they were very good). I must shout out that polyweb coating too, the strings feel extremely comfortable and a lot quicker than the usual stainless crowd. They're definately worth a try if you really want something to be...mmm...different.