Why become a member? ×

Trying to identify some strings

Happy Jack

I bought an old Ovation Magnum, the strings are tired and rusty but sound just great so I want to buy the same again.

The strings are:

• Extra Long Scale
  • Tapered construction
  • Roundwound
  • Gold ball-ends on all four strings
  • No coloured silks

What am I looking at?

Tapered or exposed cores ?

When you say no coloured silk, do you mean there's some silk ?

If it's exposed cores with black silk on the headstock side, I'm pretty sure they are LaBella Super Steps.

If it's exposed cores without any silk, and super extra long scale, it could be Fodera Anthony Jackson Signature set (only available in 6 strings set). 

If it's exposed cores, it could also be Galli strings (the only exposed cores available in nickel or stainless steel).

If it's tapered cores with silk, it could be Dean Markley SR 2000 strings. 

A picture might help.

2 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

When you say no coloured silk, do you mean there's some silk ?

If it's exposed cores without any silk, and super extra long scale, it could be Fodera Anthony Jackson Signature set (only available in 6 strings set). 

If it's exposed cores, it could also be Galli strings (the only exposed cores available in nickel or stainless steel).

A picture might help.

There was no silk at all.

It was definitely a 4-string set!

Wouldn't know where to find Galli strings ... couldn't see them at Strings Direct or Stringbusters.

It didn't occur to me to photograph old bass strings before chucking them away, but I take your point. :)

I have to say, that Galli Strings web-site has to be about the worst thing I've encountered on the Internet in the last decade. 

Designed by an illiterate 9-year-old, and totally off-putting when it comes to actually buying something!

Futuramamoving_zps8001a69e.gif

Basically, they look like they're too short!

I've now ordered three different string sets - D'Addario, Ernie Ball and Galli.

Way I see it, worst case is that I've ordered enough roundwounds to last the rest of my playing career (given that I play almost exclusively flats).

:crazy:

I can't honestly remember, it was a long time ago.  I think that Rotosound were among the first to produce this particular design of string, though, and if the strings on the Ovation have been there a long time it shortens the odds. I loved the clarity and definition it gave the sound, in contrast to the flatwounds that most people were using at the time. You'll probably hate it. Kudos to The59Sound who also suggested Rotos, I missed his posting in the thread earlier.

The modern version uses a different setup, which allows you to adjust the length of the winding-free portion by moving the ball end, so it fits on a variety of basses.

Thanks. Astonishing tone, but only with the right strings.

My kneejerk reaction to buying a bass is "just stick flats on it" and that invariably improves the tone hugely ... well, to my ears anyway.

This is the first bass I've owned (of well over 100 of the buggers) where the opposite is true. Fitting LaBella FLs (one of my go-to string sets) simply deadened the tone and closed the sound down. It was still a great-sounding bass, of course, but the magic had gone. The second I put the D'Addario rounds on, there it was again ...

1 hour ago, Happy Jack said:

My kneejerk reaction to buying a bass is "just stick flats on it" and that invariably improves the tone hugely ... well, to my ears anyway. This is the first bass I've owned (of well over 100 of the buggers) where the opposite is true. Fitting LaBella FLs (one of my go-to string sets) simply deadened the tone and closed the sound down. It was still a great-sounding bass, of course, but the magic had gone. The second I put the D'Addario rounds on, there it was again...

I've found this, too. You can even fit 'the wrong sort of flats'. I put some Roto 77 flats on a Jazz bass expecting the usual result, but it just didn't happen. However when I tried some Fender 9050 flats on it, the difference was startling. I'm a big fan of La Bellas, but find that Fender 9050 flats are almost as good, if you persist with them and break them in properly. When new, they're quite clanky and have a bit too much top end. With playing, they settle into a La Bella-style thump in a very pleasing way*. Plus, they're about half the price of an equivalent set of La Bellas.

Having said that, there are some basses that only really sound good with rounds, as you have discovered. My Shergold Marathon was a case in point.

Edit: Great score, by the way. I've always wanted a Magnum ever since I saw Wobble playing his. Jealous!

*It can take a month or two depending on how much you play.

Edited by discreet