Why become a member? ×

So whats the story about Wal basses?

saibuster

In about 1998, I was asked to do a rehearsal with a jazz gtr/bs/dr trio in Epsom, Surrey. I had met the drummer before but not the guitar player. I got there first and set my gear up and put my Wal Custom fretless on its stand and sat down to wait the arrival of said guitarist.

The chap arrived and walked into the room with his guitar over his shoulder, carrying his amp, but, before putting them down, he walked over to my Wal and peered closely at it.

'I think I made that' he said.

It was Paul Herman (I later did a duo gig with him and think he is a really nice player).

It turned out that he hadn't and Pete Stevens had made it but it was a great moment. Paul did some cosmetic work on mt bass around that time and reset the intonation - that's twice it has been done in 22 years!

I think that post about a bass that lets you 'sound like you' really says it all. When I got mine in 1986 (£760 from Monkey Business), I was still young enough to be trying every bass I came across at shops and music fayres etc and this one stood out big time. The quality of the build was high and the evenness of the sound remarkable, It had a rich, warm sound (at a time when lots of basses were very 'zingy' - Status, Jaydee etc) and I used to say it sounded like wood and not electric circuits. My 'industry standard' sound at the time was Jack Bruce on Cozy Powell's 'Over The Top'. a real traditional 'bass' sound not that Mark King/Stanley Clarke rattle/twang and the Wal delivered. More to the point, it delivers everything.

I have had other basses since (Washburn and Status) but they always stayed on theie stands and rarely got out. I haven't gigged another bass in years and find that whether I am playing funk, Latin, pop, rock or jazz, the Wal is on the money, 110%.

Why would I need another bass? My only GAS is for a 5-string Wal fretless but I never have the money so I will have to wait for a rich relative to die before I can resolve that one!

[quote name='ARGH' post='335341' date='Nov 24 2008, 10:45 AM']Is it just me Bilbo,But they 'feel'....they induce confidence?[/quote]

I do know what you mean.

I sometimes think that, for me, a heavy bass gives an sense of quality and commitment (bit like the 'clunk' of a heavy car door). I have never actually considered the Wal to be a partucularly heavy bass but, at 6' 1'' and 16 stone, I guess that this is relative!

Edited by bilbo230763

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='335353' date='Nov 24 2008, 11:15 AM']I do know what you mean.

I sometimes think that, for me, a heavy bass gives an sense of quality and commitment (bit like the 'clunk' of a heavy car door). I have never actually considered the Wal to be a partucularly heavy bass but, at 6' 1'' and 16 stone, I guess that this is relative![/quote]
Not always,Ive tried those buttheavy Deleo Schecters and old 80s Hamers...Even a Kramer Alu-neck,and from when Ive picked up a Wal... in perticular the MKII's its like been given a level playing field,you aint having to battle anything,like a 'no problem' pragmatism.

I love my uprated Pro1 and still regret letting the Pro/early Custom I saw in GAK a few months go (at least it went to a BC'er)

Mine is semi retired now & I only really use it at home for recording now, but was my #1 bass for about 20 years prior to that and always sounded great & recorded beautifully. Feels great too with a nice fast neck, but clearly they are not to everyones taste.

The actives give a huge range of sounds and the XLR DI came to my rescue a few times when my old TE combo went through a spate of packing up during gigs (cracked input board it eventually transpired).

That said I have to say that I tried a couple in the Bas Centre in Wapping years back and what seemed to be a combination of horrible setup and Knack'd strings could easily have put me right off.

Interesting to read this thread...

It was my ambition to own a Wal after I saw Percy Jones & Brand X play at the venue in london (along with Bruford's band) around '78. I couldn't believe the sound; a huge fat bass and midrange - and a high frequency that picked out all the tiny inflections and intricate fingering (and Jones was a unique player, of course). I remember how crude and distorted Jeff Berlin's sound was in comparison. Finally managed to afford one in '84 from the proceeds of a washing up job.

I've still got and it's the only bass I've played regularly over the last 24 years:

And you're right - the bass suits YOU and YOUR music [url="http://tinpanalley.biz/spoombung/Whispering%20Foils/05-Riker%202.mp3"]whatever sort of music you make[/url]

[quote name='Spoombung' post='335805' date='Nov 24 2008, 09:38 PM']Interesting to read this thread...

It was my ambition to own a Wal after I saw Percy Jones & Brand X play at the venue in london (along with Bruford's band) around '78. I couldn't believe the sound; a huge fat bass and midrange - and a high frequency that picked out all the tiny inflections and intricate fingering (and Jones was a unique player, of course). I remember how crude and distorted Jeff Berlin's sound was in comparison. Finally managed to afford one in '84 from the proceeds of a washing up job.

I've still got and it's the only bass I've played regularly over the last 24 years:[/quote]

That's a coincidence. I was at the same Brand X/Bruford gig at the Venue (although I think it was nearer 1980) and I too was blown away by Percy Jones and his sound. It was about that time I decided I had to have a fretless Wal (I'd been playing a year or so and had a medium scale fretted Aria). I finally bought my Wal new through Gigsounds in 1983 (it was £595) from the proceeds of my first proper job (and selling some Naim hi-fi). I still have the Wal and if times were very hard it'd undoubtedly be the very last of all my possessions to go on ebay.

The Wal is a unique instrument with a sound and feel like no other I've ever played (and "basses I've played" is a very long list now). Simple as that. I'd recommend that anybody listen to Percy Jones playing his Wal on any of the Brand X albums from Masques onwards. Absolute master-classes in fretless imagination, sound and technique that to my mind have never been bettered.

Phil

[quote name='philw' post='335817' date='Nov 24 2008, 09:01 PM']I finally bought my Wal new through Gigsounds in 1983 (it was £595) from the proceeds of my first proper job (and selling some Naim hi-fi).

I'd recommend that anybody listen to Percy Jones playing his Wal on any of the Brand X albums from Masques onwards. Absolute master-classes in fretless imagination, sound and technique that to my mind have never been bettered.

Phil[/quote]

Mine cost £550 secondhand! God, that was a fortune in those days... and it took me 6 whole months to save up for it. No easy credit in those days, kids! :)

Yeah, Percy is my all-time favourite bassist too...just someone with his own style. I never liked the Brand X guitarist though - he was like Nigel Tufnel on a bad day and always ruined the music with his terrible John Mclaughan imitations.

[quote name='Jase' post='335903' date='Nov 24 2008, 10:37 PM']Talking of Percy :)
[/quote]

Ooooh that takes me back! Straight from the pages of [i]International Musician[/i]. The pic was intimidating to a young fellow like me at the time because of the blank fingerboard (despite the fresh smile) . I always thought that was like playing the bass [i]blind[/i].

Those were the days. The only way to find out about techniques was to read up on them in that mag. I remember seeing a description of bending harmonics on a fretless. I followed the instructions and Hey Presto! I made a career out of it for a short while!

[quote name='Spoombung' post='335805' date='Nov 24 2008, 08:38 PM']Interesting to read this thread...

I've still got and it's the only bass I've played regularly over the last 24 years:

And you're right - the bass suits YOU and YOUR music [url="http://tinpanalley.biz/spoombung/Whispering%20Foils/05-Riker%202.mp3"]whatever sort of music you make[/url][/quote]

[font="Impact"]
It was my ambition to own a WAL after seeing [b]you[/b] play a couple of times in the 80 s Spoonbung :)

Frankly astonishing ! Few bass players have ever left me gobsmacked [/font]

Really cool to see you on the BC forum too

Very generous to allow the free downloads as well , many thanks for the inspiration

V8

[quote name='v8bass' post='335988' date='Nov 25 2008, 02:12 AM'][font="Impact"]
It was my ambition to own a WAL after seeing [b]you[/b] play a couple of times in the 80 s Spoonbung :)

Frankly astonishing ! Few bass players have ever left me gobsmacked [/font]

Really cool to see you on the BC forum too

Very generous to allow the free downloads as well , many thanks for the inspiration

V8[/quote]

Thank you, that's very nice of you to say that.

As for the free downloads - I thought it was about time!

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='334929' date='Nov 23 2008, 03:01 PM']That's a really good point, though I also think that Wals do have a distictive tone of their own, especially the early Pro models which don't have the huge tonal range of the Custom ones.[/quote]

I'm with Nik on this. For me, having owned a Wal Custom, I actually found that I couldn't get close to replicating the sounds of the other instruments I loved; the Wal always sounded like a Wal to me, no matter what I did with it. The Alembic I have now is similar; vast tonal range, but alway sounds like an Alembic rather than something else.

Sadly I didn't get on very well with my Wal (had ergonomic issues and could never get the sound to work in my band of the time) but I'd still like another someday; particularly a Pro (preferably passive) which I've coveted since first hearing Leigh Gorman of Bow Wow Wow.

[quote name='philw' post='335817' date='Nov 24 2008, 09:01 PM']That's a coincidence. I was at the same Brand X/Bruford gig at the Venue (although I think it was nearer 1980) and I too was blown away by Percy Jones and his sound. It was about that time I decided I had to have a fretless Wal (I'd been playing a year or so and had a medium scale fretted Aria). I finally bought my Wal new through Gigsounds in 1983 (it was £595) from the proceeds of my first proper job (and selling some Naim hi-fi). I still have the Wal and if times were very hard it'd undoubtedly be the very last of all my possessions to go on ebay.

The Wal is a unique instrument with a sound and feel like no other I've ever played (and "basses I've played" is a very long list now). Simple as that. I'd recommend that anybody listen to Percy Jones playing his Wal on any of the Brand X albums from Masques onwards. Absolute master-classes in fretless imagination, sound and technique that to my mind have never been bettered.

Phil[/quote]

Oh, the memories this thread has unearthed, especially the International Musician ad - ha, great hairdo!

I was at the Venue gig too and was lucky enough to catch Brand X twice on the 1980 tour. Percy, playing his Wal custom through a gigantic Frunt rig, was on jaw-dropping form. (Have to say all I remember from Bruford's set was the truly awful drum sound - damn those Rototoms, or whatever they were called! - and the rather dull "jazz stylings" of one Mr Berlin zzzzzzz :ph34r:).

Anyroad, soon after, managed to get hold of a fretless yew-faced Wal (£480 as I recall :huh: ), with the compensation from a bike accident :) Ended up getting to know Wal (lovely bloke) and Fish really well, mainly due to doing my thesis on Electric Wood, which included a study of the whole Wal build process. Later on, got a fretted neck for the ProIIE and...a custom 5-string fretless - hoorah! All moved on now, but they, along with Percy and Mick (Karn, who I saw courtesy of Japan's last gig at the good ol' Hammy O. and at the Jazz Cafe many years later - what MONSTER tone!!!), have contributed hugely to the elusive "sound in my head".

Phenominal instruments, way before the hype, no question.

[quote name='4000' post='337840' date='Nov 26 2008, 10:53 PM']I'm with Nik on this. For me, having owned a Wal Custom, I actually found that I couldn't get close to replicating the sounds of the other instruments I loved; the Wal always sounded like a Wal to me, no matter what I did with it. The Alembic I have now is similar; vast tonal range, but alway sounds like an Alembic rather than something else.

Sadly I didn't get on very well with my Wal (had ergonomic issues and could never get the sound to work in my band of the time) but I'd still like another someday; particularly a Pro (preferably passive) which I've coveted since first hearing Leigh Gorman of Bow Wow Wow.[/quote]
I'm convinced you'd absolutely love the sound of the Pro models Shaun and not just because that's what Leigh had always used.. I think they're slightly quirkier and a little more distinctive sounding...

[quote name='JonnyM' post='337870' date='Nov 26 2008, 11:26 PM']Oh, the memories this thread has unearthed, especially the International Musician ad - ha, great hairdo!

I was at the Venue gig too and was lucky enough to catch Brand X twice on the 1980 tour. Percy, playing his Wal custom through a gigantic Frunt rig, was on jaw-dropping form. (Have to say all I remember from Bruford's set was the truly awful drum sound - damn those Rototoms, or whatever they were called! - and the rather dull "jazz stylings" of one Mr Berlin zzzzzzz :ph34r:).

Phenominal instruments, way before the hype, no question.[/quote]

We should do a [b]Jeff berlin VS Percy Jones thread[/b]...but there'd be no contest!

I never liked that Jeff Berlin method of playing very hard over the bridge pickup....plus that dreadful chorus pedal he used all the time. I mean, blimey, the sound was so hollow and [i]distorted[/i]. Percy's Wal sound on the other hand was incredibly rich with an almost acoustic hi fidelity.

On the subject of that [i]Venue [/i]gig, I attended it [b]on my own [/b]- I just couldn't find anyone else willing to come along with me. I had to keep mum about it otherwise I would have been laughed out of town (I was in a Punk band at the time). It was full of guys wearing Marshall and Wal T-shirts. I got the impression it was populated with blokes who either distributed gear or sold it! Despite feeling inspired by Jones' performance, as I left the Venue, I sincerely hoped I had not been spotted by anyone I knew - such was my deep and profound shame.

Edited by Spoombung

I know that feeling - I saw a reformed version of Brand X in Bristol about ten years ago! Percy didn't sound like Percy...and the guitarist was unbelievabley loud and generally off his nut....interesting, but not a great night. Did see a healthy contingent of Bristol's bassists, lurking in the shadows.

[quote name='BassBod' post='338239' date='Nov 27 2008, 11:30 AM']I know that feeling - I saw a reformed version of Brand X in Bristol about ten years ago! Percy didn't sound like Percy...and the guitarist was unbelievabley loud and generally off his nut....interesting, but not a great night. Did see a healthy contingent of Bristol's bassists, lurking in the shadows.[/quote]

Oh I sneaked off to the Jazz Cafe to see the reformed Brand X a few years ago. I left after 3 numbers. It was hopelessly bad. That guitarist is the pits! He was always the most boring musician in the band. And yes, I agree, "[i]Percy didn't sound like Percy anymore[/i]". That's the danger with nostalgia; you try and revisit it and it's not quite the same.

In general I have trouble with the Jazz Rock Genre. I can only like bit and pieces of it, really.

Edited by Spoombung

[quote name='Spoombung' post='338190' date='Nov 27 2008, 10:46 AM']We should do a [b]Jeff berlin VS Percy Jones thread[/b]...but there'd be no contest![/quote]

They're both worlds apart really, both great players, I'd sooner buy a Percy Jones album than a Jeff Berlin album though. At the same time I'd love to see both of them live (not together)

[quote name='Spoombung' post='338190' date='Nov 27 2008, 10:46 AM']We should do a [b]Jeff berlin VS Percy Jones thread[/b]...but there'd be no contest!

I never liked that Jeff Berlin method of playing very hard over the bridge pickup....plus that dreadful chorus pedal he used all the time. I mean, blimey, the sound was so hollow and [i]distorted[/i]. Percy's Wal sound on the other hand was incredibly rich with an almost acoustic hi fidelity.

On the subject of that [i]Venue [/i]gig, I attended it [b]on my own [/b]- I just couldn't find anyone else willing to come along with me. I had to keep mum about it otherwise I would have been laughed out of town (I was in a Punk band at the time). It was full of guys wearing Marshall and Wal T-shirts. I got the impression it was populated with blokes who either distributed gear or sold it! Despite feeling inspired by Jones' performance, as I left the Venue, I sincerely hoped I had not been spotted by anyone I knew - such was my deep and profound shame.[/quote]

Hey! Remember, I was at that gig Spoombung and I might take offence if accused of wearing a Wal or Marshall t-shirt. Never owned either, honestly. I wasn't in a punk band so I didn't have to hold my head in shame, more a kind of Japan with a girl singer type band. I was, or rather was attempting to be, the Mick Karn clone.

Phil