Why become a member? ×

Short Scale 'Thing' (23" scale Headless 4 string)

Jabba_the_gut

On 08/05/2019 at 06:44, Richard R said:

@Manton Customs had a bright red tiny bass at the Midlands Bass Bash on Saturday. If I remember correctly it was more of a demonstration piece than a new product line, but you could contact them and ask if they would make to order. There is a photo of me playing it rather badly on the forum for that event. The guitar sound is lovely, but I personally struggled with the small size 😞

I had a go of that too - I found it very easy to play (just like @Jabba_the_gut's) but it tends to make me use three fingers and go all guitary.

The one thing I noticed with both styles of very short bass is that they get very brittle if hammering on, the 'clack' is louder than the subsequent note. Oterwise, they sound great.

1 hour ago, TheGreek said:

Andy actually sold one of his builds???? Sorry I don't believe you.

Well - that would have to had to have been the one that I stole off Jez and pretended it was one of mine. 

Unfortunately, no-one believed I could build something this cool nowadays, in spite of past glories  9_9    :lol:

I know when I'm beaten

(but like a Phoenix.....maybe, just maybe) :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

The one thing I noticed with both styles of very short bass is that they get very brittle if hammering on, the 'clack' is louder than the subsequent note. Oterwise, they sound great.

Simple to cure...

Just use a soft headed mallet next time instead of a hammer.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I had a go of that too - I found it very easy to play (just like @Jabba_the_gut's) but it tends to make me use three fingers and go all guitary.

Interesting you say that. I tend to play mine with a totally different  hand position, side on the bridge, and use three fingers and palm muting. I’m used to a really low action so I don’t find any issue with hammers but I’m using standard strings so probably just used to them. 

• Like 2

• 6 months later...