Why become a member? ×

TC Electronics Spectradrive.

dave_bass5

Bugger. Just when i thought i was all settled as far as pedals go, this comes along.

This might be replacing my Zoom B3n. Aux in, headphones out and tone print enabled. .

https://www.tcelectronic.com/Categories/Tcelectronic/Bass/Stompboxes/SPECTRADRIVE/p/P0D9D

https://www.musicradar.com/news/tc-electronic-debuts-feature-loaded-ultra-flexible-spectradrive-bass-preamp-and-line-driver-pedal

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Thanks 1

That looks interesting, especially as I'm looking to go over to in-ears soon and will be ditching my back-line and pedal board in favour of my Zoom B3 for DI/EQ/compression/tuner duties. My only reservation that I've got  at the back of my mind regarding the move to the B3 is that I'm really going to miss my SpectraComp but something like this would give me everything I need in one box while keeping the control versatility of the SpectraComp. B|

US price looks to be $199 so ought to be reasonably priced in the UK too.

Here's the official video from TC 

Ive started using my Spectracomp in front of my B3n at home (i dont use the B3n live), and i only use one basic patch on the B3n anyway. Its more the ability to mix in my ipad with my bass/guitar, and feed them both to headphones that i use the B3n for, so this new box seems ideal. I like that it also has a speaker emulator as well.

By the way, the official video was in the second link i posted.

I wasn't having a go, just pointing it out. At least it now has its own post. Cant wait for @dood to review this. I always buy what he reviews lol.

This thing might even make it on to my pedal board. I could take off the Spectracomp and replace it with this, so wouldn't loose anything. Damn, its going to be a long wait i expect.

15 minutes ago, Daz39 said:

Now that is nice. *curses*

In my defence though I have never had the time or botheredness to get toneprints and send them to pedals (is it Wi-Fi, or USB or something?) - so have avoided most TC stuff.

You're missing out on a whole lot of fun, it's quick and simple to do, it literally takes a couple of seconds with a smart phone to swap tones prints. There's a wealth of stuff to try, most of it is great (to my tastes, at least) and it's all free. What's not to like :) 

19 minutes ago, Daz39 said:

Now that is nice. *curses*

In my defence though I have never had the time or botheredness to get toneprints and send them to pedals (is it Wi-Fi, or USB or something?) - so have avoided most TC stuff.

ive never got in to programming these things (i have a Spectracomp and Corona mini), the software seems very complicated unless you liek that sort of thing, but beaming the ready made tone prints across to them from a phone is very easy. Takes just seconds.

1 hour ago, dave_bass5 said:

I wasn't having a go, just pointing it out. At least it now has its own post. Cant wait for @dood to review this. I always buy what he reviews lol.

This thing might even make it on to my pedal board. I could take off the Spectracomp and replace it with this, so wouldn't loose anything. Damn, its going to be a long wait i expect.

I will be all over it like a rash. I wonder if the EQ can be edited too? .. Oh and thank you :) Bless ya heart! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dood said:

I will be all over it like a rash. I wonder if the EQ can be edited too? .. Oh and thank you :) Bless ya heart! 

Good man, although in this case i think ill get it anyway.

I have the Spectracomp and Q/strip because of your wonderful reviews (im sure there was one or two other things as well). Im glad you dont review camera gear :-)

If I bought everything that the Dood reviewed I'd be completely skint!

I have to be disciplined and limit myself to the really good stuff :D

...Aha I now recall, Dave, you recently saying you were always skint. Ok it's all starting to piece together now...

Edited by Al Krow

...anyway more seriously, good spot Dave!

Looks like they've taken the Palmer Pocket Amp concept and then improved it by adding a Toneprint to the drive and throwing in their Spectracomp for good measure! 

image.jpeg.cd1365089cf3406323645dbf3afe4920.jpeg

It's NOT IMHO however going to take the place of a multi-fx for any bassists who need quick access (i.e. at the press of button quick) to more than one effect 'on the fly'.

45 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

...Aha I now recall, Dave, you recently saying you were always skint. Ok it's all starting to piece together now...

I have ended up buying kit after I reviewed it. I AM completely skint!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

I only really want this to simplify home  practice. I’m sure there are cheaper alternatives to my B3n, but so far ive not found something that i feel can replace my B3n. Even though dood almost sold me on the B1on. 

Bass, combined with camera gear is a GAS heaven.......or hell. 

19 minutes ago, dood said:

I have ended up buying kit after I reviewed it. I AM completely skint!

You should stop watcing those YT videos lol. 

2 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

No, really. This is literally what I’ve been looking for for ages.

It seems to tick every box i could imagine, other than not being battery powered. Thats understandable though. My pedal board, and ipad in to this is all ill need. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

It seems to tick every box i could imagine, other than not being battery powered. Thats understandable though. My pedal board, and ipad in to this is all ill need. 

Exactly. Ideal for when I’m working away from home. I’ve just downloaded the manual:

http://downloads.music-group.com/documents/tcelectronic/P0D9D_M_EN_A4.pdf

Edited by CameronJ

Oh dear, now the GAS has been turned up a good few notches. 

I feel i could use only this pedal and not miss any of the others. Ive not experienced TC’s OD/distorting boxes before, but as my needs are always modest and mainstream, i bet this could replace my whole pedal board if i had ot use just one box. In the past my BDDI or VTBass DI has worked well, but lacking a compressor. Not that I need one, but I’m loving what the Spectracomp does to my tone at the moment. 

2 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Oh dear, now the GAS has been turned up a good few notches. 

I feel i could use only this pedal and not miss any of the others. Ive not experienced TC’s OD/distorting boxes before, but as my needs are always modest and mainstream, i bet this could replace my whole pedal board if i had ot use just one box. In the past my BDDI or VTBass DI has worked well, but lacking a compressor. Not that I need one, but I’m loving what the Spectracomp does to my tone at the moment. 

Definitely wouldn’t replace my whole pedalboard but it would be a strong addition to it, end of my chain. I may just keep my spectracomp at the beginning of my chain too!

I’m thinking it’ll replace my MXR Bass Preamp and possibly my Pork Loin too. The potential is strong with this one...

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

...anyway more seriously, good spot Dave!

Looks like they've taken the Palmer Pocket Amp concept and then improved it by adding a Toneprint to the drive and throwing in their Spectracomp for good measure! 

image.jpeg.cd1365089cf3406323645dbf3afe4920.jpeg

It's NOT IMHO however going to take the place of a multi-fx for any bassists who need quick access (i.e. at the press of button quick) to more than one effect 'on the fly'.

I just couldn’t get on with the aesthetics or the socket positioning on the Palmer, otherwise it might have been the one for me. TC have nailed it.

19 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Bass, combined with camera gear is a GAS heaven.......or hell. 

You're into camera (and video editing?) gear as well?! Oh dear, we really are not going to be good for each other's wallets :D