Why become a member? ×

Bands and etiquette

Merton

If youre taking on a filler or dep role i think you have to really not be invested with the band. Just do it when asked when it suits you and turn down what doesnt.

It sounds like youd like to be in the band full time bit that it isnt going to happen, so id just suit yourself and try and find something else.

Edited by la bam

I’ve politely declined the one gig they wanted me on and they’ve agreed it makes no sense for me to do it. No sour grapes from me, just move on and be polite, professional and maybe they’ll call me if they need me in the future :)

• Like 3

That'll be why I'm Billy No-mates then. I'm not on facebook, never have been, never will be. There's a whole world going on out there that I don't know about.

In any case, some good advice overall and you've been ok about it... leave it to them to be the a-holes.

6 hours ago, Merton said:

I’ve politely declined the one gig they wanted me on and they’ve agreed it makes no sense for me to do it. No sour grapes from me, just move on and be polite, professional and maybe they’ll call me if they need me in the future :)

That's the best result I think. Yes they've messed you about but you haven't lowered yourself to their level and haven't burnt any bridges. What you have done is learn a bit more about them as a group and you can use that to make informed choices if they ever come back asking you to dep again. Moral high ground and all that. 

16 hours ago, pbasspecial said:

Hey Martin, they're amateurs for good reason.  They don't know how to behave like professionals. Lick your wounds, then move on and move up. Best of luck to you.

Agreed, amateur is the way I'd decribe these guys. More than likely guys that haven't paid their dues and don't know how innapropiate and poor their communication was.

I'd say this happens a lot, bands only care about solving their issue and others involved don't matter.

I would bet there are guys here that have learned material, auditioned for bands never to hear word one back from the band.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

18 hours ago, Merton said:

That's the way to play it, good for you.