Why become a member? ×

Schecter Model T Session

mcnach

21 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Another NOT HELPFUL comment when my Sandberg, too, is feeling a little unloved in my (currently Japanese dominated) herd! :) 

Was Contemplating  selling the sandberg and buying a 5 string model t ...Ive also fallen for them ...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, patrikmarky said:

If you need to try one I'm on edge of Suffolk border ...though I have to stress it's not for sale 😀

Ha ha, cheers for that. If anything I'd have to try the Model T to get the gas out of my system first. I'm probably going to try and get somewhere soo  to try one out tbh. 

I’ve just acquired a ticket for the London Bass Guitar Show and for a brief moment thought, “OMG, I think Schecter will have a stand at the show. I’ll get to try one of these Model Ts out!”

...having done some basic research, Schecter are unfortunately not going to be at the show :( rats.

On 01/03/2018 at 12:34, Al Krow said:

Another NOT HELPFUL comment when my Sandberg, too, is feeling a little unloved in my (currently Japanese dominated) herd! :) 

Hah! Sandberg love rekindled...I think this is coming off the FS pdq and the Schecter 8 is going to wait. Wasn't rocket science in the end! 

The bass itself is beautifully weighted and the finish quality is excellent (which you would kinda hope for, given what these things cost new, right?) I was just missing a certain punch / heft from it. Well I've recently loaded it with some flats and simply switching mode from passive to active and dialling up the treble and bass a touch in combination with MM pup in full humbucker setting, provides that additional magic punch. I may even live a little and raise the pup up a touch :) 

Edited by Al Krow

39 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Hah! Sandberg love rekindled...I think this is coming off the FS pdq and the Schecter 8 is going to wait. Wasn't rocket science in the end! 

The bass itself is beautifully weighted and the finish quality is excellent (which you would kinda hope for, given what these things cost new, right?) I was just missing a certain punch / heft from it. Well I've recently loaded it with some flats and simply switching mode from passive to active and dialling up the treble and bass a touch in combination with MM pup in full humbucker setting, provides that additional magic punch. I may even live a little and raise the pup up a touch :) 

Good work @Al Krow. I’m still itching to try out some flats myself. The recent addition of LaBella Black Nylon Tapewounds to my Sandberg Electra VS4 has made an already great bass even more fun to play! Hypothetically speaking, if I went for this Model T 5er then it would be the ideal candidate for the flat treatment.

4 hours ago, Horrorhiker said:

Just to cool you guys down a bit, here's the bass equivalent of a cold shower courtesy of a couple of Amazon reviews. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Schecter-2848-Model-T-Session-ANS/dp/B00SGSI1RC#customerReviews

One review.

Terrible review, but one review. He says he liked the sound and he could set it up nicely no problem... but complained about finish flaws and that the fret markers were painted. I'm happy to take my chances, I've read worse reviews about a Stingray ;)

45 minutes ago, Horrorhiker said:

FYI an older, regular Model T has appeared on Ebay. Ash, maple neck..looks quite nice. It's in Birmingham which is too far for me but might be worth a look to get an idea of quality etc. I wouldn't have thought It'll go for too much. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Schecter-Model-T-Bass-Guitar/112846248469?hash=item1a46291a15

12.8 pounds! O.o what kind of alder is it made of???

It lacks the 'sexyness' of the natural "Session" model... but I probably like those pickups more.

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, mcnach said:

One review.

Terrible review, but one review. He says he liked the sound and he could set it up nicely no problem... but complained about finish flaws and that the fret markers were painted. I'm happy to take my chances, I've read worse reviews about a Stingray ;)

Yeah it's the first actual bad review I could find, and it reeks of sour grapes for some reason.

2 minutes ago, cattytown said:

I did wonder if he actually had been sold a fake.

That is a possibility. If you look at Schecter feedback, most people say that build and quality control are well above the price point, in fact they are famous for it. That review does go against the grain, though the other one is a bit lukewarm too. Puts the value much lower than it costs. Bearing in mind it's £100 more expensive still over here compared to the states does make me think that I'd be better off seeing one before buying blind. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Horrorhiker said:

Yeah it's the first actual bad review I could find, and it reeks of sour grapes for some reason.

Some people are extremely picky too. I often look at the 1-star reviews of something I want to buy... and often there's a bunch of very unreasonable comments there.

Reviews are tricky. It's come to my attention that there is a market for made-to-order amazon reviews (I'm sure other places too). A friend of mine has written a few for a wide range of items. She'd be asked to produce x number of 5 star, y number of 4 star, etc... for a given item, and she'd just sit, write them, and submit them to the company, who would then use other accounts, real and fake, to place the reviews online.

It's a jungle out there :$

• Confused 1

40 minutes ago, Horrorhiker said:

That is a possibility. If you look at Schecter feedback, most people say that build and quality control are well above the price point, in fact they are famous for it. That review does go against the grain, though the other one is a bit lukewarm too. Puts the value much lower than it costs. Bearing in mind it's £100 more expensive still over here compared to the states does make me think that I'd be better off seeing one before buying blind. 

True.

But sometimes one just have to take a leap of faith and risk it. If I don't like it, back it'll go, I'll lose postage costs but that's the only way to try one around here it seems.

It's all because of this damn snow... it's given me far too much time to think about toys! :D

In fact, if it weren't for the snow... instead of clicking "buy now" I'd have been driving to a gig! But it has been cancelled due to the weather. I'll call the bass "Snow". I should receive it on Tuesday... but I would not be surprised if there are still some delays as there must be a huge backlog with just about every courier.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, mcnach said:

True.

But sometimes one just have to take a leap of faith and risk it. If I don't like it, back it'll go, I'll lose postage costs but that's the only way to try one around here it seems.

It's all because of this damn snow... it's given me far too much time to think about toys! :D

In fact, if it weren't for the snow... instead of clicking "buy now" I'd have been driving to a gig! But it has been cancelled due to the weather. I'll call the bass "Snow". I should receive it on Tuesday... but I would not be surprised if there are still some delays as there must be a huge backlog with just about every courier.

Oh so you've actually pulled the trigger? I shall be waiting with baited breath on this one. I predict greatness tbh. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Horrorhiker said:

Oh so you've actually pulled the trigger? I shall be waiting with baited breath on this one. I predict greatness tbh. 

Trigger was pulled indeed. I had some good (financial) news from work this morning and I decided it was a sign :D

Greatness? If it's me playing it I very much doubt greatness is the word with which to describe the results... but I'll do what I can ;) 

I'll report back when it's in my hands.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mcnach said:

Trigger was pulled indeed. I had some good (financial) news from work this morning and I decided it was a sign :D

Greatness? If it's me playing it I very much doubt greatness is the word with which to describe the results... but I'll do what I can ;) 

I'll report back when it's in my hands.

Can’t wait to hear what you have to say about this bass! I have to say I predict greatness too - if not from you then at least from the bass itself xD

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Will be interesting to see how Schecter do now (wishing them every success).

They have pumped a whole heap of money into their ranges guitar and bass and it may pay off.

Robert DeLeo of Stone temple pilots is a self proclaimed bass collecting nut, whilst he won’t use any of them on tour he does use his Schecter PJ, so it gets a decent thumbs up. Also dUg Pinnick has his Baron H and that sounds immense. You can of course have that endorsing artist argument, that they’ll use anything, but I think they will turn out to be a nice piece of kit