Why become a member? ×

Ritter look-alike

TheGreek

If you like Ritters or intonation I would steer well clear! I mean the bridge is angled the wrong bloody way ffs!:dash1:

How do get to the stage where you can build an otherwise reasonable looking instrument and bugger up the foundations so badly...

Edited by dyerseve

44 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

The bridge has been set up slightly better now it seems. Looks perfectly playable with the current set up, maybe the luither had a brain fact when installing the bridge hence selling it cheap-ish?

20180202_205916.thumb.png.f876b8b0a05f56a53f981f3981f1e7fc.png

Why are three of the height adjustment saddles missing?

Because the briges are far too high. This "bass" was already for sale some time ago, but it's a total waste of money even for £55 GBP which should be the asking price. No one called a luthier could ever make such an instrument. Nothing is made the correct way.

After a discussion with the seller I would agree with Tony. The seller says The Bass Gallery set it up, which at least resulted in the bridge being levelled, but I think this is not one for the pros. If it was advertised for £200-300 I might take a punt but for me £550 is too much.

Edited by binky_bass

Ahh the wrath of Basschat....

I’ve owned this a couple of years now. Absolutely no problem with the intonation whatsoever despite the bridge slant. I agree it’s lost on me why it was placed that way, most likely a mistake/inexperience. This was his second attempt I believe but I just don’t have that answer.

What I can say is Martin at The Gallery did an awesome job on it when I took it in. Just a correction from a previous comment, I took it to the Gallery to have the neck levelled. I specifically requested the D through C strings to be lowered alongside this and this was accomplished by removing the height adjusters and filing the saddles down further. This was not an oversight or mistake by the original builder or a fix by The Gallery to try and set up the bass properly. This was to suit my playing style and how I wanted it set up.

To say it’s not even worth £55 I think is a slight overreaction. It’s an excellent instrument and I stick the price advertised. Of course, taking into consideration most would want to change the bridge, the price is negotiable, but I stand by the quality of the build and materials used (even the bridge which was the first thing I opted to change when I bought it,  But was then advised that this was not necessary when looked over). 

And finally....THIS IS NOT A RITTER!! It is Ritter shaped, nothing else. I’ve been careful not to mislead anyone into thinking they’re getting the time, expertise, materials, precision and QC that goes into building a Ritter. This is just a tribute, everyone take it easy. 

If anyone’s willing to throw out some constructive suggestions re bridge ideas or anything else please feel free to! I’ve never been a huge fan of the single bridges...

Have a a great weekend everyone! 😅

11 hours ago, frazerjt said:

Ahh the wrath of Basschat....

I’ve owned this a couple of years now. Absolutely no problem with the intonation whatsoever despite the bridge slant. I agree it’s lost on me why it was placed that way, most likely a mistake/inexperience. This was his second attempt I believe but I just don’t have that answer.

What I can say is Martin at The Gallery did an awesome job on it when I took it in. Just a correction from a previous comment, I took it to the Gallery to have the neck levelled. I specifically requested the D through C strings to be lowered alongside this and this was accomplished by removing the height adjusters and filing the saddles down further. This was not an oversight or mistake by the original builder or a fix by The Gallery to try and set up the bass properly. This was to suit my playing style and how I wanted it set up.

To say it’s not even worth £55 I think is a slight overreaction. It’s an excellent instrument and I stick the price advertised. Of course, taking into consideration most would want to change the bridge, the price is negotiable, but I stand by the quality of the build and materials used (even the bridge which was the first thing I opted to change when I bought it,  But was then advised that this was not necessary when looked over). 

And finally....THIS IS NOT A RITTER!! It is Ritter shaped, nothing else. I’ve been careful not to mislead anyone into thinking they’re getting the time, expertise, materials, precision and QC that goes into building a Ritter. This is just a tribute, everyone take it easy. 

If anyone’s willing to throw out some constructive suggestions re bridge ideas or anything else please feel free to! I’ve never been a huge fan of the single bridges...

Have a a great weekend everyone! 😅

Hi and thanks for your post. The easiest way to have solved the bridge solution, if the action was still too high with the saddles as low as possible, would be to have routed channels for them to sit in. I am not a Luthier but I worked this out and did exactly this when I restored my Vantage 900A and it worked exactly as planned. 

Obviously with six individual bridges this is a lot of work but if you are experienced and have the right tools it is an easy enough job. The other option would have been to use a router to remove a section of say 5mm around the entire area the bridge sits on

Great thanks. I orginally found a goId Badass bridge but steered clear because of th high action ( and would have been quite an eyesore). Great idea about routing, I  thought about this too and may well end up doing this. Not myself though, I’m fine with setting up instruments but any work like that’s way out of my league!

Thanks for the input!

Some bridges really don’t go very low, and I’ve removed parts of saddles before to get the super low action I like. It’s quick and easy and perfectly ok if the string has something stable to rest on. 

In fact, the bridge in my Marleaux had those same ‘blades’ and even at their lowest they were a good 3mm too high, so I took them out. I think the bridge was ETS?

12 hours ago, TBString58 said:

The height of the bridge should be taken in to account when choosing the neck angle, a decent plan to begin with and 'high bridge' problems can be avoided. This makes me question the whole construction process.    

Here is a picture of the 6 strings lined fretless I made for myself some 15 years ago, everything was done by hand with the only help of a router and some basic electric tools : is there anything wrong about it ?

5a88228f045ad_Byl6Fretless5picture.thumb.jpg.93910daa564a622d5e6b8574c405fb3a.jpg

1 hour ago, Hellzero said:

Here is a picture of the 6 strings lined fretless I made for myself some 15 years ago, everything was done by hand with the only help of a router and some basic electric tools : is there anything wrong about it ?

5a88228f045ad_Byl6Fretless5picture.thumb.jpg.93910daa564a622d5e6b8574c405fb3a.jpg

Too many strings ;)

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Hellzero said:

Mate that is beautiful. Two things though, I'm not a fan of the colour of the pups, IMO they take away from the woods used.

The other thing is that I can't believe the intonation is correct with all the saddles lined up in a straight line like that...

They are Q-tuner pickups I believe... That's how they come. I had a pair of these in a 6 string concept bass I had a while ago... quite excellent as memory recalls! But I agree that maybe wood covers would suit better, but then I am a man who likes a good woody pickup cover!

1 hour ago, dyerseve said:

Mate that is beautiful. Two things though, I'm not a fan of the colour of the pups, IMO they take away from the woods used.

The other thing is that I can't believe the intonation is correct with all the saddles lined up in a straight line like that...

Just like Russ said, this is the way Erno Zwaan was making the original Q-Tuners.

For the intonation that's the magic of the exposed cores strings which makes the setting very similar from string to string. With these strings there is almost no correction to make because the gauge is the one of the exposed part of the string. Try some and you'll see that this strange saddle position is right.

I can fret it.

Byl was my nickname when I was young.

I made something like 10 instruments on order and wanted to start making that for a living, but after around 10 years of absolutely not earning money I stopped definitely. I was also making repairs for guitars, basses and amps (I was well known for my knowledge in tubes). I even made repairs for high end hi-fi shops but fortunately (according to their retail price) they don't get out of use that often except for CD players. I used to work for the local shops and even for some other luthiers for their electronics issues or their clients amps. 

When I stopped, everybody asked me why I did it. My answer was always the same : Being honest will not make you earn your life and some of you still owe me a lot of money ! 

End of the (sadly usual) story.

Edited by Hellzero
knowledge in tube amps is what I wanted to write
  • Like 1