Why become a member? ×

How do you know if you're any good?!

Barking Spiders

On 1/30/2018 at 19:04, gjones said:

I got described as a 'smooth' bass player by two random musicians recently. What the heck does 'smooth' mean? They meant it as a compliment but I have no idea what it means.

This is my idea of a great bass player. Somebody who has all the chops but knows when to hold back and compliment the song. The first video is an example of the first quality and the second video is an example of the second quality. The guys name is Alan Thompson from Glasgow. He used to be John Martyn's bass player.

What bass is that? I've seen those headstocks, but I've never known what they were.

• 1 year later...

Interesting reading this, as I'm suffering a fair bit of 'imposter syndrome' at the moment!

Personally, I don't think I'm particularly good. I certainly can't keep up with the sort of clips/examples that get held up as skilled bass playing. That said, the majority of the songs I hear on the radio are probably within my reach.

I read another thread that said how your fingers turn into rubber in guitar shops - that's me!

I do have a few skills. If I have a melody in my head I can usually play it, if I know a song already once I have sussed the key I can usually bodge some sort of basic accompaniment.

I do take time learning new songs, but when I was in bands I learned some pretty complex (if not fast) basslines and was able to perform them to everyone's satisfaction and the very occasional compliment.

I'd like to think there are two measures of your skill. One is How technically proficient are you? The other is how well does your playing fit in with your band?

I guess I score low on the first, but I think I did well on the second - at least for my first and third bands; the second band got a bit fed up of my walking lines.

Are you able to make effective contributions to your creative endeavours? If the answer is yes then you are good enough. Whether you are happy with just being good enough is down to personal choice.

I'm in my 47th year and haven't stopped learning and evolving as a player, possibly because I play quite sporadically!

Life teaches me all the time. For instance I've learned that there will always be someone better than me and that I can't ever really know how good I am. So the second cancels the first. 

I don't strive to be better, or the best I can be, I don't want to smother my love for music under such pressure. I will become more comfortable in my playing if I play more often and with a wider range of people. So that's all I can try to do. 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Interesting reading this, as I'm suffering a fair bit of 'imposter syndrome' at the moment!

Most people, in most of their endeavours, in most fields feel imposter syndrome in one form or another, I think people that don’t are perhaps at best insensitive and at worst arrogant. Don’t let it stop you is the most important it to remember, just keep doing yo’ thang.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1