Why become a member? ×

Band intros. And on bass... "The Fat Bloke"...

thepurpleblob

I play in a covers band. I've always played in a covers band. Well I played in an originals for a few gigs but I replaced somebody else, so it was still a covers band for me. Anyway, you get to that bit at the end of the night where (yes I know it's cheesy...) the singer intros the band, everybody plays a little solo... except me. I don't have a clue what to play. I've never improvised in any meaningful way or played a solo in my life.

Can anybody help me not look like an idiot? :)

[quote name='Alun' post='329797' date='Nov 15 2008, 07:25 PM']Are you playing something when you're introduced or does everyone start from silence? If you are playing a song, what is it? Might help us think of suitably quotable tunes that'll fit :)[/quote]

No we are between songs that's the trouble. The guitarist plays a little riff, the drummer runs around the kit and I... stand there and grin...

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='329692' date='Nov 15 2008, 03:21 PM']I play in a covers band. I've always played in a covers band. Well I played in an originals for a few gigs but I replaced somebody else, so it was still a covers band for me. Anyway, you get to that bit at the end of the night where (yes I know it's cheesy...) the singer intros the band, everybody plays a little solo... except me. I don't have a clue what to play. I've never improvised in any meaningful way or played a solo in my life.

Can anybody help me not look like an idiot? :)[/quote]

Same with me and at the time we are usually playing Signed, Sealed Delivered so I would be interested to hear what I could improvise with for a bar or two !!

[quote name='tonybassplayer' post='329799' date='Nov 15 2008, 07:29 PM']Same with me and at the time we are usually playing Signed, Sealed Delivered so I would be interested to hear what I could improvise with for a bar or two !![/quote]

If you're vamping the chorus bit, you could try something like....

EDIT - oops, tab has gone odd at the end of the first bar sorry! Should be 5th fret on A and 7th on D - much easier :)
Cheers
Alun

Edited by Alun

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='329798' date='Nov 15 2008, 07:28 PM']No we are between songs that's the trouble. The guitarist plays a little riff, the drummer runs around the kit and I... stand there and grin...[/quote]

Maybe go for a well known riff - Another One Bites The Dust maybe? Most people will recognise that ( even if some don't know where from :) ) Or the theme from the Simpsons always goes down well!

Cheers
Alun

[quote name='johnnylager' post='329812' date='Nov 15 2008, 07:53 PM']That fast run near the beginning of YYZ. Works every time. For Geddy Lee![/quote]

I must confess I'd never heard that song - never been into Rush. Still, (thanks to Youtube) I see what you mean but I just don't think I'm quite fast enough :)

Find something really annoying. My G**tarist has this annoying habit of playing the first 6 notes of "Happy birthday to you" & ya just wanna hit him with something. I started playing "We wish you a merry xmas" but being a G*it****t he just joined in! It would go down well in the coming month tho :wacko:

If you're a really simple bass player who doesn't have much in the way of chops just do this:

1. Walk up to the front of the stage
2. Raise your fretting hand aloft
3. Put on your sex face
4. Bang out 4 half note open Es over two bars
5. Bang out 8 quarter note open Es over two bars
6. Bang out 16 eighth note open Es over two bars
7. Bang out 24 triplets open Es over two bars
8. Whack all 4 open strings at once and let them ring for one bar
9. Gesture at the crowd with your left hand to applaud
10. Get back to playing the tune

[quote name='The Funk' post='330753' date='Nov 17 2008, 03:59 PM']If you're a really simple bass player who doesn't have much in the way of chops just do this:

1. Walk up to the front of the stage
2. Raise your fretting hand aloft
3. Put on your sex face
4. Bang out 4 half note open Es over two bars
5. Bang out 8 quarter note open Es over two bars
6. Bang out 16 eighth note open Es over two bars
7. Bang out 24 triplets open Es over two bars
8. Whack all 4 open strings at once and let them ring for one bar
9. Gesture at the crowd with your left hand to applaud
10. Get back to playing the tune[/quote]

Two observations:
* Chops are something you put apple sauce on.
* Sex Face? I'm 44 and married - I don't have a sex face

:)

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='330757' date='Nov 17 2008, 04:03 PM']Two observations:
* Chops are something you put apple sauce on.
* Sex Face? I'm 44 and married - I don't have a sex face

:)[/quote]

Chops = technical ability; a wide vocabulary of stock phrases
Sex face = gurn a musician pulls to demonstrate overwhelming intensity, passion, focus and concetration (cf. gurn = an odd or unusual facial expression, often unflattering or undignified)

Play the bass riff from the outro of "The Chain" by Fleetwood Mac. It's something like this:

[code]G | - - - - - - - - | - - - - - - - - | - - - - - - - - | - - - - - - - - |
D | - - - - - - - - | - - - - - - - - | - - - - - - - - | - - - - - - - - |
A | - - - - - - - 2 | 3 - 2 - - - 2 - | - - - - - - - - | - - - - - - - - |
E | 5 - - - - - 5 - | - - - 5 3 5 - - | 0 - - - - - - - | - - - - - - - - |[/code]

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='331614' date='Nov 18 2008, 05:13 PM']Play the bass riff from the outro of "The Chain" by Fleetwood Mac. It's something like this:

[code]G | - - - - - - - - | - - - - - - - - | - - - - - - - - | - - - - - - - - |
D | - - - - - - - - | - - - - - - - - | - - - - - - - - | - - - - - - - - |
A | - - - - - - - 2 | 3 - 2 - - - 2 - | - - - - - - - - | - - - - - - - - |
E | 5 - - - - - 5 - | - - - 5 3 5 - - | 0 - - - - - - - | - - - - - - - - |[/code][/quote]

That used to be the cheesiest line ever - now I suppose it's just postmodern :)