Why become a member? ×

Thumbs up to Hipshot

Lozz196

Just before Xmas I bought a set of Hipshots for my MIM Precision. The bass itself is great, but the tuners weren`t so, and as I`m going to be using this bass on a few overseas gigs this year (I ain`t flying with my US basses) wanted the tuners to be as good as I could get them. Reviews read, Hipshot HB7s ordered as a direct fit on MIMs. Except they weren`t, all screw-holes lined up ok, but the supplied ferrules/bushes were too small, and the Hipshot tuning pegs rattled in the Fender ones.

So I e-mailed Hipshot asking where I could purchase a set of these, and they said just send us your address and we`ll put a set out to you, no charge. Received them today, fit like a glove. Quality customer service imo, so a big thumbs up to them. And have to say, the tuners are a real quality bit of kit, much smoother than the stock Fender ones.

• Like 6

I bought a used Hipshot bridge. Had it a year before installing it. It has the teensiest tinest allen screws on the saddles. No allen key I had was small enough. I emailed Hipshot just asking what size allen key did I need, and they sent me out seven allen keys from the USA to Australia free of charge.

• Like 3

I've had many bits and pieces from Hipshot over the years and I didnt ask for any of them, they were the result of enquiries, as above. Hipshot customer service is second to none and their products are very well engineered. Top! Company!

Edited by discreet

I was looking for a specific D-tuner for my Wal a year or so ago which seemed to be as hard to find as hens teeth. I emailed their customer serviced dept to ask if that model was still being manufactured. Got an email back saying that they had discontinued them a couple of years previously. However, they had some bagged spares and they would be happy to sell one direct. They sent it direct from the States. All in all, including postage, it cost no more than buying one off Stringbusters or similar. Once again. Really great customer service and attitude.

22 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Just before Xmas I bought a set of Hipshots for my MIM Precision. The bass itself is great, but the tuners weren`t so, and as I`m going to be using this bass on a few overseas gigs this year (I ain`t flying with my US basses) wanted the tuners to be as good as I could get them. Reviews read, Hipshot HB7s ordered as a direct fit on MIMs. Except they weren`t, all screw-holes lined up ok, but the supplied ferrules/bushes were too small, and the Hipshot tuning pegs rattled in the Fender ones.

So I e-mailed Hipshot asking where I could purchase a set of these, and they said just send us your address and we`ll put a set out to you, no charge. Received them today, fit like a glove. Quality customer service imo, so a big thumbs up to them. And have to say, the tuners are a real quality bit of kit, much smoother than the stock Fender ones.

That's interesting. I have a MIM precision (2012) which I think is excellent apart from the creaky stock tuners. So I was also going to get a set of the HB7s soon.

What is the story with the bush sizes? Did Fender change the size in a particular model year and the stock Hipshot bushes are for current models or something like that?

I had a Hipshot fitted on a Ricky 4003 about 5 years back. Massive improvement, except for during one gig, when the dreaded 'wobbly saddles' (it was a common fault on these bridges) occurred. They kept bottoming out, and I had to crank them up ad-hoc after every song!

Anyway, I complained to Hipshot, and they were fab. Sent me a complete new set of saddles FOC. Excellent service.

Bought a Supertone bridge a few months back, equally excellent piece of equipment. Their fantastic products and service means I didn't hesitate using them again. Other companies take note!