Why become a member? ×

My bitsa Precision, weighs 6.1 lbs.

tom1946

Hi all, just thought I'd show you my bitsa P bass that weighs 6.1 lbs, no neck dive, schaller tuners and an SPB-3 pickup with a KiOgon loom.

Sounds very loud plays really well: I also made a blue one except the pickup is a Dimarzio 127 and the tuners are Wilkinsons, also no neck dive and the same weight.

Happy boy.

IMG_6422.JPG

IMG_4791.JPG

IMG_2223.JPG

IMG_1217.JPG

IMG_6591.JPG

Edited by tom1946
  • Like 1

Ok guys I'll tell you what I did.

I discovered by accident that Gear4music do what is called the LA bass for about 90 quid, it comes with a rosewood neck which I hate but I bought one anyway to see how bad it was. Imagine my surprise when it arrived and it was as light as a feather! When I checked the spec' the bodies are made of Paulownia wood which is very light so I wondered if they had a maple neck that was also 61mm. They had so I bought one to try out and it fitted! very tight but some very light sanding made it fit spot on.

There was a little neck dive, nothing much so I bought some wilkinson schaller stylee tuners which fixed it. I bought a loom from John (KiOgon) and a pickup of choice to finish it and it's brilliant.

Issues with doing this job.

The first one I did the neck wasn't exactly straight and the strings ran off a bit but it was easily fixed by using a Schaller 2000 bridge that has lateral adjustment so the strings could be lined up exactly. There are other cheaper ways to sort that though.

The fret edges can be a bit sharp but that's easily filed and smoothed, also the maple necks are a bit paddle shaped, my friend Dave on here very kindly made me a headstock template so shaping it was just a jigsaw and a bit of sandpaper away.

I'm very pleased with my cheap lightweight basses, my gas is now satisfied.B|

HTH

Tom.

Oh the necks are only £35

Edited by tom1946
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 23/12/2017 at 22:23, kodiakblair said:

Great to see them finished Tom :) Hopefully Santa will give you reason to lose the jigsaw.

BTW I picked up a couple of those "guided " template/trimmer bits. Will let you know how they do when I use them in anger :biggrin:

Yes, let me know how they are Davie.

It was me who started the Sue Ryder thing, I bought quite a few of them and passed them around here for cost. The G4M's are a bargain tho'

Have a great Christmas everyone. I hope God's peace will touch you all.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, discreet said:

@kodiakblair: You've already got your eye on that neck, Davie?? :D

I've gotta be careful Mark. There's that many rosewood boards here I reckon I'm responsible for CITES not the Chinese furniture industry :D

@tom1946

Will know by tomorrow. I've a control cavity needs to go deeper,didn't get a chance to buy slug tape for shielding yesterday. I'll be at B&Q 1st thing :biggrin:

Merry Christmas