Why become a member? ×

Bass convert seeks enlightenment

Keefaz

Hi all! I've been playing guitar for a million years, but have, as of a few months ago, got into BASS! I've been recruited into an originals band and am just about keeping up. However, I don't know anything about bass gear and how to sound good onstage. We've had a few gigs and I've been fortunate that I've been able to borrow one of the other bands' rigs and just plugged in. I've a couple more gigs coming up and some recording in the new year. It's probably about time I educated myself. I've been reading around and it's amazingly confusing! What is a good, simple source of information that lays it out straight? Do I even need an amp? I don't imagine I'll play many gigs where there isn't a house PA: so can I just use that? I'm embarrassingly ignorant. :D

I'd say yes you need an amp - something between about 300w-500w should be plenty for most gigging situations.

Going through the PA will work up to a point if there's a big enough PA with bass bins etc, but unless they also have monitors you won't be able to hear anything you're playing onstage (and neither will the drummer, who will want to lock in closely with you).

In terms of bass cabs, a single 15" speaker is always good, as is 2x12" cab. Bigger rigs and multiple cabs will give you a bit of everything, but unless you need lots of volume, a good single cab is easier.

Unlike guitar, there's no huge need for pedals etc either - bass, into tuner, into amp is generally enough I find.

Does that help?

40 minutes ago, Keefaz said:

Hi all! ...

It  may help obtain usable replies if you could give some indication of the style of original material you're playing..? Any reference bands with similar outlook..? Some idea of the venues and rehearsal rooms you're going to come across would help, too, as would a general idea of your budget (if any...). There are many players with no amp at all; others with stadium-proportion rigs, and all sizes in between. A bit of Precision, please..? B|

57 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

It  may help obtain usable replies if you could give some indication of the style of original material you're playing..? Any reference bands with similar outlook..? Some idea of the venues and rehearsal rooms you're going to come across would help, too, as would a general idea of your budget (if any...). There are many players with no amp at all; others with stadium-proportion rigs, and all sizes in between. A bit of Precision, please..? B|

Hey! Essentially a heavy-rock 3-piece, quite garagey, jammy at times: in the vain of the MC5 meets Hawkwind or similar. I mean, I'm laid totally bare, so it's pretty scary as someone who isn't really a bass player trying to hold everything down! :o

Usual rehearsal is at a practice where they provide drum kit, PA, and bass amp: so I've just used whatever they have. Venues is just pubs, clubs < 100 people. I dunno, we might occasionally get bigger gigs or a support slot with a bigger act.

I'm looking, first, at buying a new bass. I like the look and sound of the Yamaha BBs? Or a Ibanez ATK300? But I don't really know much. I can't really justify spending lots as I'm not very good and I've not got a lot of money. At the minute, I've a Squier Precision that isn't really cutting the mustard. I'm looking for something quite fat, I suppose, that can punch through when the guitarist goes off on one, but I suppose much of that tone comes from the amp/DI etc.?

Hi Keefaz, firat of all.... welcome to BassChat, and welcome to the wonderful world of bass playing :)

Re your need for an amp, of course, you don't necessarily NEED one as such. However, you may turn up at a gig where there's no PA, or where the PA isn't working
In the past, PA owners and Sound tech guys were frequently not happy at bass guitars being plugged into their kit - something about a bass possibly damaging their speakers ;)
This tends to be less of a problem these days, as more PA's seem to be capable of handling bass and keyboards... but you never know
So I think it's good practice to have some amp kit... You may find some bargains on here, particularly among the older gear - because it tends to be heavy, whereas there's a lot of modern lightweight options around nowadays

As has been said, without knowing too much about the band you're in, and crucially, without hearing them (even bands covering the same material can differ a lot) what bass will give you the best sound is a tricky question...
The good old stable, the Precision Bass is so often cited as being able to "cut through" most mixes and music, and by and large, this is true - depending on amps, venue, and other musicians playing etc.
Your Squier may indeed be able to cut it, but perhaps the amp you're using is under-rated, compared to the other musicians? Or, just as likely, they could maybe turn down a tad? ;)

Not knowing which Squier you have (they can vary hugely, depending on when & where built, as much as the particular model) - it may even be that your bass isn't set up properly, or the pickups are too distant from the strings...
(PS. Also, don't adjust them so they're too close!). It may be that a simple upgrading of the pickups to something more powerful is an option that could save you money? Some used pickups on here, or I'd recommend looking at Entwistle PBXN or JBXN (Precision and Jazz versions) are cheap and very powerful for passive pickups. You could also look at buying an active bass (with battery powered pickups & electrics) - but some of the older amps can struggle with the signal from active basses, if your gain is set high....

The most important factor when choosing a bass, is how comfortable is it to play? Consider neck thickness, body & neck position - is that low F too much of a struggle to reach? Does it hurt your wrists when stretching? Is the bass too heavy? etc. They do vary so much in terms of playability as much as sound (possibly more so?) - so try as many as you can. Pop to your local shop and explain your situation - say that you're new to bass, and want to find the most comfortable one to play. Try a few used ones - are there any for sale on here that are situated near you? Is there a local bass bash event coming up soon near you? We're a friendly bunch, and many BC'ers are happy to let you try their bass

A lot of guitarists (and some bassists) like short scale basses. These are 30" scale lengths, as opposed to the usual 34" scale of a normal, full scale bass. Perhaps try one out for size / comfort? Squier do a rather nice Jaguar SS, with a P and a J pickup. They're pretty reasonably priced, and even cheaper 2nd hand.

Also, re DI / Preamp pedals. Once you have your comfortable bass - a D.I. Pedal or an EQ pedal can help sculpt your sound. The Sansamp has already justifiably been mentioned, but there's a cheaper option - Behringer do a nice Pre-amp pedal, with some nice tonal and boosting options. OK it isn't in the same league as the Sansamp, but at under 30 quid it's pretty good value.

Sorry, that's a lot more for you to think about, and I've only scratched the surface of some topics. But get yourself a bass you're comfortable with - that makes learning a lot easier
If you're comfortable with that Squier, maybe think about upgrading the pickups? 
Most of all, best of luck mate :)

Edited by Marc S

Personally, I'd start by posting your location in the hope that a local BCer will help out either by offering playing advice, some tech advice, a quick lesson or maybe lending some gear to try.

Bass Bashes ( a chance to meet other bass players and try some gear) is a good way to check out what's hot and what's not - can lead to a heavily depreciated bank account though - a lot of users here are gear rich/ cash poor. Remember that when you ask for recommendations you'll be getting "opinions" rather that facts (except from me, of course) - not all of us agree so try as much gear as you can before spending your hard earned...

Also what works for one doesn't necessarily work for all...I know loads of players who make their gear sound fantastic - same gear with somebody else may not make it.

The fun (or frustration) is in the journey.

Hi Keefaz - you'll get lots of recommendations on gear etc, but your Squier should be OK, until you're up to speed on your playing. My two pence worth is start practicing to a beat of some sort - a recording, a youtube clip, a click, a drum track, sequencer, whatever. Whilst the guitarist can wander off the beat, it really does sound shite if the bass player does. So when you get into the habit of 'locking' with the drummer/beat you'll start to sound like a pro. Oh and get a tuner - bass can be difficult to accurately tune by ear.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, you mentioned Yamaha bb basses, I can certainly vouch for them. I  have a 1980s bb1100s that I  bought for £180 20 years ago. It can be played active (monster!) or passive and is the best value for money bass I've ever come across. If you could find one of tjose you would not be disappointed,  imho it is far superior to any jazz or precision in an affordable price range.

Anyway, thats my little bit of input, so good luck, and enjoy the world of the low frequencies!😊