Why become a member? ×

Wah Pedals

lateralus462

I've got a crybaby bass, 105q, it's very good, but it's a very traditional wah, and the lowest you can set the tone filter is the mid frequencies, so you can't get a massive low end sweep. You may want to have a look at the digitech synth wah, the msd earthquake, but that's pricey, the morley dual wah, i think fulltone do one too, theres plenty to choose from, it all depends on personal taste, do you want a massive low end sweep, or are you gonna use it more for mid and high freqs?

Edited by bobbass4k

After having both wah pedals and auto-wah, I've come down decisively on the side of the later. Once your right hand gets used to it, you can have a lot of control of the wah effect, simply by varying how hard you pluck/pull. I like the Mu-Tron simulator on the Bass Pod XT for example.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='327586' date='Nov 12 2008, 01:49 PM']There are some great wahs on the Digitech XP-100 as well[/quote]

Have to disagree with you there, they're good for guitar, but i've only ever found the "dark and deep" usable for bass, the wahs were designed for guitar and they cut out the lows completely, i've A/B'ed them all against my crybaby and to me the crybaby sounds better, but that could just be me

[quote name='bobbass4k' post='327591' date='Nov 12 2008, 01:53 PM']Have to disagree with you there, they're good for guitar, but i've only ever found the "dark and deep" usable for bass, the wahs were designed for guitar and they cut out the lows completely, i've A/B'ed them all against my crybaby and to me the crybaby sounds better, but that could just be me[/quote]

Good point, I blend a clean signal with all of my effects pedals so I don't get that effect.

[quote name='lateralus462' post='327652' date='Nov 12 2008, 03:46 PM']Tbh the sound I'm kind of trying to get close to is Tim Commerford's on Battle of Los Angeles - I think he uses a Wah pedal a fair bit on that album (I may be wrong though and be after something completely different!!!!!) like the verse sound on "Born as Ghosts""[/quote]

He uses two 105Q nailed together. I have one and love it and use it a lot.
Apart from that, only tried the Morley and didn't like it as much but can't remember why, was a long time ago...
Definitely recommend the 105q. You can set the effect level and the q value. If you turn the latter up, it will both go further higher and lower (not just higher) on the filter, and trust me, there's plenty of lows there, waaay too much if you turn it all the way to the max.

You can also set the delay between toe up and effect off between 0 and 2 secs I think, with a trim pot in the battery compartment. Most people set it at 0.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='327692' date='Nov 12 2008, 03:45 PM']That IS a cool sound. I think a lot of that is down to the distortion on it though. I think he uses two dunlop wahs together? I can get similar tones out of my B2.1U, AND from my wah probe. I'm pretty sure he has some clean blended as well.[/quote]

dunlop wah seems to be the way to go then - bit of a bugger cos they're pretty expensive.

[quote name='lateralus462' post='327699' date='Nov 12 2008, 03:52 PM']dunlop wah seems to be the way to go then - bit of a bugger cos they're pretty expensive.[/quote]

I remember a while back someone mentioned that the only difference between the bass crybaby and a regular crybaby was one or 2 components, and they were gonna try modifiying a regular one, might be wirth looking into seen as the regular ones are about half the price, can't remember who it was though

[quote name='d-basser' post='327852' date='Nov 12 2008, 07:00 PM']there were a couple of 105qs going second hand on here, I bought one but there was another going for £65ish. well worth it[/quote]
Yup, i've still got a cry baby bass wah for sale [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=23444"]here[/url]

• 3 weeks later...

i love the Snarling Dogs Bootzilla Fuzz/wah so much! it is the first pedal i bought, and i havent sold it - and i ahve sold the rest... even my sansamp PBDI.

here's a clip of me doing things with it along with its fuzz and an HBE Hematoma (which i also sold).

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72VvOC85CbU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72VvOC85CbU[/url]

i controlled the feedback with the wah... thats my fave part in that clip... playing with feedback, hehe.

Edited by IncX

[quote name='lateralus462' post='327699' date='Nov 12 2008, 03:52 PM']dunlop wah seems to be the way to go then - bit of a bugger cos they're pretty expensive.[/quote]

Not a fan of the old Dunlop Bass Wahs. Have not heard the 105Q so can't comment on it. The original ones were sh*te. I still have one lying around somewhere.

The two wahs I'd recommend are the EBS WahOne (the smoothest bass wah there is) and the Snarlin' Dogs Bootzilla Wah (the rawest bass wah out there). The Bootzilla has built-in fuzz too. They both sound bassy and give you that wah sound - and they're both very tweakable too. As expensive as the Dunlop though - if not more!