Why become a member? ×

Best bass for classical?

lownote

My current thing is trying to learn how to play suitable classical pieces on bass, with massive assistance from Talkingbass.net.  If you had the budget to get a bass for this one purpose what would it be? 

Edited by lownote12

It depends on what range you want to cover. If you're simply replicating pizzicato parts for the double bass, a 4 string would do. If you want to transcribe parts that were written for other instruments, Conklin Groove Tools Bill Dickens 7 string would give you a great range and a quality instrument to play with. 

Guest Jecklin

The sound Jonas gets from That 6 string bass, for me, is just fantastic.

However I don't think you should worry too much about the bass to begin with. Concentrate on the music first and you'll find what you need by deciding what your current bass does (or doesn't) lack in the sound.

All my playing, classical or otherwise, is on fretless stingray 4 for example.

I adapt with it to make it work for the music, although obviously I couldn't get a sound like Jonas makes

Ok let me be more specific. 5 strung E-C or a 4?  Both pieces wot I'm currently learning myself seem to involve galloping right up to the 24th fret, and sometimes long stretches.  13-19th fret is a lonnnnggg way for a guy with little hands. Seems to me my 5 strung E-C would alleviate a lot of this pain, but I'd then have to reach over the C string for all the lower notes.  OTOH, a 4 has a slim narrow f/board.  Just wondered if anyone had been in this situation and could wiseadvize on what was best.  FYI my 4 is a P bass so doesn't go to 24 frets and my 5 is B-G so I presume will need a new nut. Or will it?

Just now, lownote12 said:

charic, do I need a new nut to convert from B-G to E-C?  I'm sure this has been debated a million times before but I can't get much joy out of Search yet.

What gauges are you currently using?

Short term (and to see if it will work for you a folded up piece of paper in the nut can work wonders so you don't have to modify the nut unnecessarily :)

I’d personally go E-C. I’ve done a lot of arranging and playing of classical pieces. This would fit the range better I think for most pieces. 

before you start working on a piece, i.e actually playing it. Sit down with a pencil and paper, and map out the best way to approach the piece, fingering and actually where to fret the notes etc.

Edited by ambient
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, ambient said:

...before you start working on a piece, i.e actually playing it. Sit down with a pencil and paper, and map out the best way to approach the piece, fingering and actually where to fret the notes etc.

You mean... write out a TAB..? :shok:

:D :P

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dad3353 said:

You mean... write out a TAB..? :shok:

:D :P

Nooooooo!

?

Actually whatever in this case. If it starts on C, where do you play it, 3rd fret A or 8th fret E? It would depend on what notes follow. Just a kind of route map, use whatever means you want for it, I’d just write notes on the score in pencil.

What about an actual aclassical guitar bass?

http://www.stollguitars.de/en/portfolio/classic-bass-nylon-strings-75-cm-scale-length/

Personally, I use a custom acoustic bass, 4 string, 34” scale, made by Brook.  I can play a couple of Bach pieces on it, but my experience with it tells that if ordering a guitar purely for classical and finger style stuff, I would go with a cutaway, and 5 Strings E to C, so that I have that extra string for melodies. 

Robbie

• Thanks 1

I'm now doing the E2C thing.  'cos what that also does is let me play a perfectly normal '4 string' for day to day stuff, and then go that bit higher when I want to play classical, or even do chordal work.  I like having a B string but frankly so rarely go near it and it just becomes a thumb rest and puts the higher strings that much further away.

On 29/11/2017 at 11:50, Jecklin said:

However I don't think you should worry too much about the bass to begin with. Concentrate on the music first and you'll find what you need by deciding what your current bass does (or doesn't) lack in the sound.

I adapt with it to make it work for the music, although obviously I couldn't get a sound like Jonas makes

That sounds just beautiful.

On 29/11/2017 at 11:50, Jecklin said:

I love that video Thomas. I think that's his Wechter acoustic?

Have you heard the album?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silent-Life-Jonas-Hellborg/dp/B00J8BUZUW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512690911&sr=8-1&keywords=jonas+hellborg