Why become a member? ×

Fender Precision bass with Jazz neck

Dutchie

The OP says, " . . .  I'm put off a little by the wide necks I keep seeing" and ". . . the necks look so fat on those."

Wider necks are not difficult to play so I'd suggest he gets out and tries some basses so that he actually knows whether he can get on with wider necks or not.

2 hours ago, Paul S said:

There, that's fixed.  Makes a difference to some people - me included.  Although FOR ME it is actually string spacing, rather than the actual width of the neck.  I struggle to play a 4 string bass with a neck that is 43mm wide at the nut but happily play a 5 string bass with a 45mm neck.

For me it is a combination of the two, with the most important thing being string spacing. While not getting on with precisions because of the neck, most of my basses are 5 strings which are obviously wider, but with a 16.5-17mm string spacing.

On 26/11/2017 at 13:58, Danuman said:

I’d been half thinking about getting a P with a J neck for a while when I saw one of those postmodern Precisions in a shop. I was absolutely smitten. Unfortunately - or fortunately, I suppose - it had a hilariously precipitous price tag.

So I set off to do a bitsa/build. So far it’s been great fun, and if (when) I do decide to spring for the high-end neck I’ve been eyeballing for a while, it’ll still not be half as much. Granted, it might not be half as good. We’ll have to see. :)

There's a postmodern for sale here on basschat right now!

Edited by Quatschmacher

10 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

There's a postmodern for sale here on basschat right now!

Cheers! They’re quite a thing to behold, aren’t they? Still, at over a grand less than the one I saw, it’s still way too dear. Perhaps one day.

Quite happy with how my build’s coming along though!

Tried swapping the neck between my J and P basses and was surprised that I felt it really changed how the bass sounds. I've always thought that it's just nonsense and wouldn't have any effect. The difference in size in this case was fairly large as my P has the wide C neck and J is standard US. It wasn't necessarily worse but different anyway, maybe like a bit tighter sounding. Maybe there's a reason why many of those Custom Shop Postmodern P basses have that 60s chunkier U neck?

Interesting topic. Still haven't figured out what would be the best solution as the C neck just feels a bit too wide. Technically possible to play no problem but the J neck just feels so easy in comparison. Maybe I'll look for those B necks and see how they are.

• 2 weeks later...