Why become a member? ×

Fender Precision bass with Jazz neck

Dutchie

Hi all,

I'm thinking of buying a precision bass, (preferably one thats well worn in) but I'm put off a little by the wide necks I keep seeing.
I already have a 62' AVR Jazz Bass and love the really slim neck. I also thought about a 62' AVRI Precision but the necks look so fat on those.
Where should I be looking and am I right in saying during the early seventies Fender started producing Precision basses with slimmer necks.

Thanks Darren

Edited by Dutchie

1 minute ago, Dutchie said:

Hi all,

I'm thinking of buying a precision bass, (preferably one thats well worn in) but I'm put off a little by the wide necks I keep seeing.
I already have a 62' AVR Jazz Bass and love the really slim neck. I also thought about a 62' AVRI Precision but the necks look so fat on those.
Where should I be looking and am I right in saying during the early seventies Fender started producing Precision basses with slimmer necks.

Thanks Darren

Strictly speaking Fender have had slim necks as an option right back to the early 60s. 

The most common neck was the C neck (1 3/4"), but the slimmer B (1 5/8") and A (1 1/2") were also available. 

By the late 60s the B neck was more common and pretty much exclusive on Ps by the 70s. Jazz's usually had an A neck. 

Its not beyond the realms of possibility to find a P with an A neck - or you could custom fit a Jazz neck on a P body. 

I also don't get on with wide necks.  I have two '73 Precisions that have "B" necks, a Sadowsky Metro HPJ which has the equivalent of an "A" width neck but not as deep. 

I recently acquired through here a Fender Nate Mendel which is slightly narrower than the "B" and which is excellent.

You could also consider the Fender Precision De-Luxe Special which has a Jazz width neck. 

Have you tried a B neck? Found on most 70's Precisions, as Bridgehouse pointed out, and most modern non-reissue Precisions have at least a similar width. I used to think that I was only really comfortable with Jazz necks until I tried several new Precisions and realised I hardly noticed a difference. They don't feel nearly as enormous as a 50's C neck. Then, of course, you also have to consider the profile and thickness front to back, which can vary considerably even among necks of the same width. 

My advice would be to get a Roadworn Precision and a second hand Roadworn JB neck. Or a full Roadworn JB. They are cheap and excellent instruments.

You switch the necks and you can play a Precision with a delicious slim JB neck :)

I own a 62 JB and a Fiesta Red Roadworn Precision. Sometimes i switch and have the P sound without changing my way of playing (i am a JB addict).

Otherwise you can get this custom-shop postmodern. P with a JB neck

fender-custom-shop-2015-postmodern-precision-bass-relic-dakota-red-251064.jpg

• Like 1

I’d been half thinking about getting a P with a J neck for a while when I saw one of those postmodern Precisions in a shop. I was absolutely smitten. Unfortunately - or fortunately, I suppose - it had a hilariously precipitous price tag.

So I set off to do a bitsa/build. So far it’s been great fun, and if (when) I do decide to spring for the high-end neck I’ve been eyeballing for a while, it’ll still not be half as much. Granted, it might not be half as good. We’ll have to see. :)

• Like 1

On 24/11/2017 at 22:11, Dutchie said:

Hi all,

Thanks Darren

As referenced above, if you're looking at getting a P-bass with a slimmer (more Jazz-like) neck you should definitely try a Nate Mendel signature model.

23 hours ago, Emanew said:

My advice would be to get a Roadworn Precision and a second hand Roadworn JB neck. Or a full Roadworn JB. They are cheap and excellent instruments.

You switch the necks and you can play a Precision with a delicious slim JB neck :)

I own a 62 JB and a Fiesta Red Roadworn Precision. Sometimes i switch and have the P sound without changing my way of playing (i am a JB addict).

Otherwise you can get this custom-shop postmodern. P with a JB neck

fender-custom-shop-2015-postmodern-precision-bass-relic-dakota-red-251064.jpg

An alternative is the 2016 American standard PJ from the “magnificent seven” line. Precision body, Jazz-width neck, CS PJ pickups, all passive. I managed to score one on eBay now the UK but mostly they were in the USA.

Give the new American Professional Precision a try though. I usually can’t play Precision necks but these were really comfortable, to the point where I’d consider selling my PJ to buy a straight P.

Precision deluxe specials have a jazz profile neck.

I'm very happy with my 2016, but the deluxe special has been in production, with various electronic specs since the 80s.

If you keep an eye out you could probably pick up a worn in earlier model for a very reasonable price.

Edit.

Ah, I see OBBM has already mentioned them.

Edited by Cato

2 hours ago, bazzbass said:

honestly the difference in width is negligible. TO ME

for years I thought I preferred Jazz necks, then I bought two Ps and honestly I can't tell the difference, the profile is far more important than nut width.TO ME

There, that's fixed.  Makes a difference to some people - me included.  Although FOR ME it is actually string spacing, rather than the actual width of the neck.  I struggle to play a 4 string bass with a neck that is 43mm wide at the nut but happily play a 5 string bass with a 45mm neck.

• Like 2